Brand new 7D and Low Battery message after 2 days on 50 shots at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Brand new 7D and Low Battery message after 2 days on 50 shots

I just got my 7D this Monday, been playing around and taking some pictures (around 50), the battery was around 75% yesterday noon, and sudenly yesterday night I tried to use the camera and got the message of an almost dead battery and the camera refused to turn on.

I removed the battery, then plugged it back again and battery was at 75% and everything was normal again. Any previous experience with this weir behavoir ?, does it means something wrong with the Camera, Battery or something else ?

I am concern that might be something wrong with the camera body ?, suggestions and comments please, thanks
Bernard Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Seeing as you're in MN, were you outside, and how cold was the camera/battery? Brand new batteries usually do need a few cycles before they reach their full-capacity, but the cold doesn't help.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Trustee

The likelihood that there's something wrong with the camera are slim. Not to say that it can't happen..

Id recommend getting another battery and make sure there's not something out of sorts with your settings that might have kept the camera on. Is this the battery that came with the camera and did you charge it before using it?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
Seeing as you're in MN, were you outside, and how cold was the camera/battery? Brand new batteries usually do need a few cycles before they reach their full-capacity, but the cold doesn't help.
Camera and battery has been always inside the house at 70F
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, it's the original battery that came with the camera
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My camera body bricked on me within 7 days. Why it's always important to buy it from a reputable business.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

What do you mean by Bricked ?, what happened ?, thanks
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Major Player

I have 4 batteries and nothing like this has happened to me.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I also have 6 Canon batteries cycled over 100 times and have never had this problem.

However from my limited knowledge of batteries, I would cycle the battery once by drawing it down to maybe 20 to 25% remaining charge, let it cool down and then recharge.

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the camera, battery or connections. There may have been a surface charge on the battery that caused a rapid drop in voltage.
Jay Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Houser View Post
I also have 6 Canon batteries cycled over 100 times and have never had this problem.

However from my limited knowledge of batteries, I would cycle the battery once by drawing it down to maybe 20 to 25% remaining charge, let it cool down and then recharge.

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the camera, battery or connections. There may have been a surface charge on the battery that caused a rapid drop in voltage.
Thanks a lot, I'll try to that
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Trustee

I agree with Jay.

"Bricked," his camera was broken therefore it turned into a Brick. Kind of like getting a DUI and turning your car into a paperweight...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Rosenzweig View Post
What do you mean by Bricked ?, what happened ?, thanks
Had nothing to do with the battery; I can only assume it was from a bad card. I had a faulty card that somehow messed up the cameras internal software.

Every time I put in a card it said 'must be formatted' so I tried in the computer, inside the camera and the same error msg came up. Called Canon and said that I'd have to return it.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Summary, after testing multiple batteries, all of them full charged, I kept getting the same problem, so I went to Best Buy and exchange the Camera for a Brand New one, it's an older S/N, I hope the problem will be solved with this one, testing it right now.
Bernard Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD