output resolution via HDMI? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Trustee

output resolution via HDMI?

So far I am getting 480P with the image really small in the center with info all around in when in Live record mode.

I am getting 1080 when playing back clips in play mode. Is this normal. Prior to purchase I could have sworn that it was 1080 out during live mode, but with information overlays on top.

Is this correct or can I get a better live output?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
So far I am getting 480P with the image really small in the center with info all around in when in Live record mode.

I am getting 1080 when playing back clips in play mode. Is this normal. Prior to purchase I could have sworn that it was 1080 out during live mode, but with information overlays on top.

Is this correct or can I get a better live output?
That is normal operation on the 5D and 7D.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Bummer. I thought the 7D was supposed to change in this respect. Oh well. It's still better than nothing!
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

If you search in this forum on this issue you'll find MANY instances where the correct info is given. The 7D does NOT get restricted to 480p when recording. If you are seeing a small view with info all around, hit the "info" button to toggle through until you get a larger display with no information surrounding it. I personally have the camera and just tested it to be sure before typing.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Coston View Post
If you search in this forum on this issue you'll find MANY instances where the correct info is given. The 7D does NOT get restricted to 480p when recording. If you are seeing a small view with info all around, hit the "info" button to toggle through until you get a larger display with no information surrounding it. I personally have the camera and just tested it to be sure before typing.
Whoa... what? (not doubting this, just never heard this before)
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Trustee

I just tried it and it works. This will help focusing tremendously. What a great forum! As you can tell tell by all of my recent posts I just got the 7D and I am figuring out some of its quirks.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Crap!

Thanks for the info Craig. That adds significantly to my interest in the 7D. I mistakenly thought it had the same issue as the 5D in this regard and it was being worked on with the Magic Lantern software.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Major Player

The stock 5D (not sure about the firmware thing) outputs a standard def image to a monitor via HDMI when recording. The 7D outputs everything in HD (1080i I believe) via HDMI even when recording.

I just shot with a 5D Saturday and a 7D (mine) Sunday and used a Small HD DP1 monitor on both shoots. In my case when shooting with the 5D, when you hit the record button everything turns into a stretched 480p image on my 16x9 DP1 monitor. It kinda sucks, follow focus would be really hard visually. BEFORE recording everything is HD, you can cycle through different display options for data, etc with the info button and one of them fills the frame (it is cropped a bit) on your external monitor - it's just when you hit the record button that everything goes black for a second and then pops up as stretched 480p.

On the 7D, everything just stays the same when you hit the record button. If you selected "full screen view" via the info button - it just stays that way, the focus box thing goes away and a little red dot shows up in the upper right corner. Visual follow focus is very easy with an external monitor.

This is one of the reasons I got the 7D and not the 5D. Hope this info helps.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Major Player

And what about the 1D Mark IV?
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah, the 7D is 1080i through HDMI. I believe (someone correct if I'm wrong) Hudson hacked the 5Dll to do the same. I'm not sure however.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
Yeah, the 7D is 1080i through HDMI. I believe (someone correct if I'm wrong) Hudson hacked the 5Dll to do the same. I'm not sure however.
Anyone know what resolution the 7D gets through USB?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
And what about the 1D Mark IV?
-C
The 1DMKIV performs the same as the 7D in the aspects described above.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Just for what it's worth I learned the hard way that if your hdmi cable comes unplugged while you're recording it stops the recording, even if it's just for like a millisecond. It can be a bit of a bummer.
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #14
Trustee

Nick,

Its also the same with the USB composite out cable. I plug it in to turn off the LCD to save power and minimize heat during long exposures/record times but if you unplug it to check your video it will stop recording.
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #15
Major Player

Yes, the stop recording thing, I should have mentioned that! Also if your monitor shuts off because the battery died - the 7D stops recording. It seems like it stops recording if it senses the HDMI is not terminated. I even had this happen when I was switching back and forth between inputs on an LG HD monitor. Every time I switched away from the HDMI input the 7D would stop recording.

Would love to get a solution to this little issue.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD