Reliable CF card reader for 7d? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Reliable CF card reader for 7d?

While not a specific 7D issue, I need to get a good reliable USB memory card reader for the CF cards from my 7d. I have an older one that works but is dog slow. I am hoping someone has used one that they can refer. Obviously I can google and find units all over the place for dirt cheap, but I am trying to find something that I know is good and reliable. So many of the units I have seen are garbage.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The reason why your old one is is slow is most likely because it's USB1. You really need a USB2 card reader. Can't recommend buying a used one, as it's such an inexpensive item that there really is no reason not to buy new. Just go to your local electronics / discount store and get one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Trustee

Chris,
Appreciate the post and I should have been clear that my current one is quite old and obviously USB1. The only local retailer is Best Buy and they sell their own "dynex" brand. I have had bad luck with most of the Dynex products that I have used....usually express card firewire and usb cards that just don't work. I was going to order one from Newegg or even B&H but since mail order makes it harder to return if there is an incompatibility I thought I'd get some suggestions of ones that are known to work.

Maybe I'll snag a Dynex from BB tonight and be pleasantly surprised. The reviews I read didn't sound too promising though! However we all know that the 10 bad reviews on a website are usually offset by the 200 other owners that are not having problems so are not posting on the web!

Still...if anyone knows of a particularly slick unit let me know.

Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Chris, not has a used one, but has used one.

Marty, I have probably bought 10 or more off Newegg over the last 2 years. Some good, some bad. I suggest buying several from there and trying them out. You will also have a spare or two. My favorite one is an off-brand that is no longer made. And if it were, the controller could be different. So start buying. Sandisk is always a good brand to start. And get a dedicated CF only reader so there is no chance the USB bandwidth will split to unused/unneeded slots.
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Chris, not has a used one, but has used one.
D'oh! Had to read that twice, Jeff -- I'm making up words where there aren't any! (Sorry about that, Marty.)

This is what I'm currently using:

USB2.0 UDMA Reader-Hoodman Corporation

However it is $50, and you might not want to spend that much...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Chris. That is what I am looking for. I may look around but that thing looks slick!
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #7
New Boot

Got the same problem as you.

Had one for my digital rebel with a 256Mb card.

For the 7D, i switched my card for a 16GB Ultra High Speed with a ZEIKOS USB 2.0 memory card reader.

My new card works well (but slow) on my old reader, but doesn't work at all with my new card reader (windows even want to format the card) but my old card works in my new reader. ><

I did check at my local best buy but none of them seems reliable.
Christian Huaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I bought a Sandisk at the local Best Buy. Works like a charm.

SanDisk - ImageMate All-in-One USB 2.0 Reader - SDDR-189-A20
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #9
New Boot

I'm using a Lexar Professional with FW800, model # RW034-7000 and it works great on my Macs.
Andrew Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

This Sandisk offers USB 2.0 + Firewire:

SanDisk | Extreme FireWire CompactFlash Card | SDDRX4-CF-901
Jay Houser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD