Field Option for Media Transfer & Storage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 29th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Field Option for Media Transfer & Storage

I've been reading all the amazing posts in the 7D Forum for months now, and am finally posting. I want to let you all know how valuable a tool this site is, and to thank you for your expertise and shared experiences!

I will be buying my 7D soon, and wanted to know if there exists a method for taking a full CF card and transferring it to a storage device (something other than a notebook computer) so that it can be wiped and used again while in the field. You know, you're shooting wedding footage, card #1 is full so you pop in card #2, and while your filling that one up, card #1 is being copied onto a portable drive to take back to the editing room. Then when card #2 is full, same thing. Again, NOT using a laptop.

Or maybe a better question: is there any way around having to purchase a lot of CF cards for field shooting? Thanks!
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nexto NVS2500

You'll find my review of this product here…

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tapeless...ml#post1426959

It's expensive, but it works perfectly. Though for weddings/events you may be best off with more CF cards instead.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Stephen! That totally answered my question. And I think you're right...this is a great tool for backups and file transfers while abroad or in transit to a computer, but on the fly (i.e. at a wedding, live event, interview, etc.) I think it would prove to be too cumbersome a task, and additional media would be much easier to work with.

Man, there is SO much to consider when building a 7D kit from the ground up. All cool features of the 7D aside, a true-blue video camera is so much simpler to work with.
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Will the regular Nexto devices work or are you required to utilize the "video" version they have?
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Contributor

CF cards are cheap enough you can have about as many as you'd ever need.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree with Bill. Buy more cards. They're cheap.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

CF cards it is.

The SanDisk cards are a lot cheaper than the Lexar ones. Am I okay buying the less expensive, as long as they're fast enough for the 7D & UDMA compliant? The SanDisk Extreme cards are 400x speed, I believe, while the Lexar are 600x. Is that going to hurt me while shooting? What do you guys use? And is there a reason why I wouldn't want to buy the 32GB or 64GB cards instead of the 16GB, other than cost?

So much to consider!!
Michael Winget is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD