DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   What kind of sharpening do you use ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/472289-what-kind-sharpening-do-you-use.html)

Bart Wierzbicki February 5th, 2010 02:36 AM

What kind of sharpening do you use ?

Hey,
When I shoot on my 7D, I have my settings as flat as possible so I could do everything in post, but a lot of times I found the footage seems really soft.
So now I was thinking of doing some sort of sharpening onto it.
Do you also do it ? Now I tried the sharpen effect and unsharp mask, but I think the boundary between too little and too much is really small.

Ray Bell February 5th, 2010 09:59 AM

Genuine Fractals....

onOne Genuine Fractals 5 review @ Designpreference.com

Matthew Longbottom February 5th, 2010 10:49 AM

Does that work for video? Or is it only photo sharpening in Lightroom / Photoshop?

Bart Wierzbicki February 5th, 2010 11:40 AM

Genuine Fractals ?
Isn't that for enlarging pictures ?

Daniel Browning February 6th, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Wierzbicki (Post 1481884)
Do you also do it?

Personally, I prefer to avoid sharpening altogether, because it exacerbates aliasing artifacts. But if I was to sharpen, it would definitely be during in-camera processing, where the sharpening can be applied to the 14-bit raw image, instead of in post where all I have is the 8-bit compressed image to work with. Doing that will exacerbate the compression artifacts (on top of the aliasing).

Erik Andersen February 6th, 2010 08:45 PM

Totally agree with Daniel, sharpen in camera. I'd just add that the extra rendering time required with a sharpen filter isn't fun.

Liam Hall February 7th, 2010 04:47 AM

Daniel has a point, but in general sharpening should only be applied on OUTPUT. Furthermore, different displays and different display resolutions require a varying amounts of sharpening. You can apply sharpening in Compressor and similar programs, though personally, I try to avoid it altogether by using sharp lenses with all artificial sharpening turned off.

Mike Calla February 7th, 2010 08:22 PM

I've generally never been a fan of sharpening BUT recently, there's been a good shot or two that i was going to purge from my bins because of tad-too-soft focus...yes, my talent moved...1mm...the horror!!

So what i do is mask an area, and sharpen a small patch, i.e: an eye... and it REALLY helps those tad-too-soft focus. Its more selective, you only have to do it a for short period of time to keep people in the moment, say at the beginning of the cut/edit.

As for sharpening in-camera, its doesn't really look so good on a large monitor. I find that reducing the sharpness half way, actually increases "the magic' that the camera produces. And setting the in-camera sharpness all the way down, begs for post sharpening, which doesn't make any sense!

Ian G. Thompson February 10th, 2010 01:36 PM

That's why I stay mostly at +1 for in camera sharpnening. "0" is too much.

Edit: What I meant was no sharpening on this camera can be too much. I have to start at +1 or 2.

Cody Dulock February 10th, 2010 03:21 PM

The lack of resolution these DSLR's produce they make up for with artificial sharpening which introduces a lot of aliasing... if this makes no sense or you don't believe it, ask Barry Green. I shoot with the sharpness all the way down on my 5D and sharpen in post if needed.