New: Canon Rebel T2i Digital SLR - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #31
Major Player

It's also doing less line skipping though don't you think?

Also, did anyone catch this:

"Another feature debuting in the Rebel T2i is Canon's new Movie Crop mode, where the user can achieve 7x magnification when shooting SD video for a significantly increased "telephoto" effect."

Considering it's for 640x480, it's basically worthless, but it goes to show they are listening and toying with ideas that someday could be very useful. I mean if that was a 1080p Movie Crop mode, for certain applications, that would be INCREDIBLE.
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Yep, maybe that's what the new Canon 5DMkII firmware will have along with the various frame rates - we wish!!!!
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
It's also doing less line skipping though don't you think?
Youtube video at 00:21:42. The pool railings show the normal aliasing stair stepping shimmer.
Attached Thumbnails
New: Canon Rebel T2i Digital SLR-picture-3.png  
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #34
Major Player

It's not really a question of "if," given the line skipping, it's a question of how much / how bad relative to the other models.
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #35
Major Player

This is great news. It's pretty much the camera I hoped for (or perhaps expected). I can't wait to see the raw files and find out if they fixed the sensor problems that plagued the 7D (softness from green channel imbalance and fixed pattern noise at low ISO).
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Not a stupid question, and the answer is: not much that I can see.

The main difference with the 7D (besides still photo features) is the body & build quality... tough, weather sealed, mag. alloy vs. much lighter polycarbonate on the T2i.
Perhaps that can mean that it wont have as much heating issues as the 7D.
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Another Smash hit like the HV20 ?

Very interesting. In another thread on the 5D, users were talking about what they would be willing to pay to get 60p for slow motion....Now the market seems to be set. For the enthusiast-- this is another HV20 like coup for Canon !
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #38
Major Player

I agree Chris (about the new HV20 Coup). What I don't understand is why other manufacturers, like Nikon, don't respond to this. Canon keeps "one-upping" everyone else. Not that I'm complaining though (I love my 7D).
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #39
Major Player

Yeah, I do love my 7D, but keep thinking about having two cams.
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #40
Obstreperous Rex

If not for any other reason, having one would be a great way to respond to any requests you get to loan out your gear... you can tell them "sorry, I'm using my 5D Mk. II right now, but you can borrow this camera." Not that I've minded loaning anything to my friends... just saying.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Considering it's for 640x480, it's basically worthless, but it goes to show they are listening and toying with ideas that someday could be very useful. I mean if that was a 1080p Movie Crop mode, for certain applications, that would be INCREDIBLE.
I love having the 640x480 mode. It's great for when we have auditions and table reads. Can film all day and never get close to filling up the card.
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
"Another feature debuting in the Rebel T2i is Canon's new Movie Crop mode, where the user can achieve 7x magnification when shooting SD video for a significantly increased "telephoto" effect."
If they could release this in a firmware upgrade for the 7D, perhaps even a 2x or 4x 720/60p mode, I would be very happy. I never have enough focal length for birds and wildlife.
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Newcomb View Post
I love having the 640x480 mode. It's great for when we have auditions and table reads. Can film all day and never get close to filling up the card.
I'm not really talking about the 640x480 mode in general, it's fine, sure keep the 640x480 (BTW, the files aren't that much smaller considering the still very high bit rate on the 640x480, but your point is taken).

Regardless, what makes this tidbit MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than that is that it doesn't line skip when doing this. That is HUGE, and if at some point that can be done at 1080p, that is a gigantic feature that could come in real handy for certain applications. I was under the impression that Tramm was actually working on something in this realm, which just goes to show the potential.

So, although not many of the more serious folks will care too much about this development on a low end cam and doing it only at 640x480, it certainly signals that something more significant could someday happen, heh...
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #44
Trustee

Damn... I just bought a Pentax K-x but now I wish I waited!

Anyone read the Australian pricing yet?
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #45
Major Player

Lets remember here... 1080p24 VDSLR video just got into the sub 1K realm...

Truly something most people will appreciate. Just imagine getting this quality at this price even a year ago!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD