New: Canon Rebel T2i Digital SLR - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old February 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #121
Trustee

Thanks - I now feel like a trainspotter cross referencing all those shots to lenses.

Oh the joy of primes! The 50mm 1.8 did well, but definitely want the 50mm f1.4. That'll do, as they say. That'll do. Scratch that, I want the 85mm and that macro too...

But wait a minute - the best is last. The Canon /Kiss/ X4?

550D - very teutonic. Can't go wrong with that. Everyone happy. Rebel - mm'kay, T2i doesn't exactly trip of tounge and sounds like Tatooine's neighbor. But there is a region where this li'l puppy is called a Kiss X4?
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #122
Obstreperous Rex

They've always been the "Kiss" series in Japan, for quite awhile now. How sweet! Heh.

xxxx

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #123
Trustee

DAMN!
I was looking at the 7D as well but this makes it a no brainer for my entry into the DSLR game. The fact it uses the same cards as my HMC-150 eases the strain too. I already have 144 gig of SDHC cards I could split between them!

NOW...my question since I know nothing about the variety of lenses out there (other than it's overwhelming) What would be a decent "bang for the buck" lens for the DOF effect, and what would be a good zoom lens for doing some distant shooting?
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #124
Major Player

Yeah, I bet big, local (to some people) camera stores who also sell online like B&H get them pretty quickly. Faster than my local camera shop for sure. Oh, and they are sponsors too. The real contest is to see who can post the pictures of unpacking theirs so that Chris can put it as the first sticky in his brand new listing of EOS 550/T2i under "Canon HDV, AVCHD & EOS Camera Systems".
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #125
Regular Crew

Canon usually ships to both online and local vendors at the same time. B&H will probably get several times as many units as a local store, though.
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #126
Trustee

Well, I will just have to go for the Snog instead of the 7D now. My life would be incomplete without the 85mm and the 50 1.4. I survived on 135, 50 and 24 Nikkors for almost a decade (ohhh - going all misty-eyed), so the 85mm will be the talking heads lens and the 50 will get the 'doing stuff' shots... Got my adaptors on order for the Nikkor 11 and 17-55 2.8, so all set.

Right! (rubs hands)

Come on Canon, where's my camera?!
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #127
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chilson View Post
Chris can put it... in his brand new listing of EOS 550/T2i under "Canon HDV, AVCHD & EOS Camera Systems".
That will happen as we get close to the actual ship date. I still need to fire up the new Sony NXCAM forum first...

Old February 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #128
Regular Crew

Don't think they'll be shipping until early March. I do know there are test models out there, as youtube has a few sample clips to view (most of which aren't that great...can't wait for Bloom and Laforet to get their hands on one and give it a go). I've heard the vid specs are quite similar to the 7D. I'm interested to see how it handles low light, rolling shutter, etc. with both the L-glass and the cheaper lenses.

I was ready to buy my 7D, lenses, support, etc. Now I'm left wondering if it'd better serve me to save that extra $800 by going with the 550D... Is it roughly the same size as the 7D--enough so that the support, VF, etc. will fit without having to buy a bunch of extra plates and stuff? And with single processing versus the 7D's dual processing, how will that affect my video?

It's very exciting to see new stuff come out. A little more complicated for new buyers, but exciting nonetheless.
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #129
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
So, here's a little something for you all to chew on... Best footage test yet from this camera...

Sample Movie

Comes from this page:

Canon: EOS 550D / EOS REBEL T2i - Sample Images & Movies

Let the fray continue!

Ahhhh nice shallow DOF!!! Sharpness, color and indoor low light look great. I'm sold!
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #130
Major Player

Philip Bloom is at it again. This one is even funnier than the 7D Downfall video:

Mr Hitler is really not happy about the new Canon 550D/ Rebel T2i

It has a great ending.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #131
Obstreperous Rex

Phil claims it'll be his last one... which should be a relief to Bruno Ganz.

Old February 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #132
Major Player

Does that mean Phil thinks we've seen the end of innovation?!!
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #133
Obstreperous Rex

I think it means he finally realizes just how played out all of those numerous "Downfall"
parodies are -- there are scores of 'em on YouTube (well over 100), and I think their
day is pretty much done. Phil's versions always had the best dialog, though.

It's been almost like a variation of Godwin's Law. New technology comes out,
somebody does a "Downfall" parody. Not knocking Phil because his were funny,
but the saturation level was exceeded quite awhile back.

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #134
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
No, it's not a fat32 limitation, it's a choice by Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc, and yes, it _is_ due to the EU regulation. Canon/Nikon/Pentax is not releasing a EU only camera, so we're all stuck with the same limitation.

This has been discussed _many_ times.
Yes, it has been discussed many times and you are still wrong. For any storage device that has been formatted with FAT32, the maximum possible file size is 4 GB minus 1 byte (232−1 bytes). That is a fact.

I imagine the reason that Canon and Nikon don't employ the more modern NTFS file system is because even though it would allow for larger file sizes, it adds an additional layer of compression to the data. This extra layer of compression probably wouldn't degrade the image quality but it would definitely overload the processor in HD mode.

Canon is a manufacturer of electronic devices for a worldwide market. They do not globally "hobble" devices to circumvent the import duties of a small portion of their market.
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #135
Regular Crew

What's strange to me is that the same FAT32 rules apply to their solid state consumer cameras, but they are able to deal with it by "chunking" the data. For example, on my HF100 no individual file is larger than 4GB, but the camera can create many of these files without dropping any frames while recording for long periods of time.

Why not do the same thing on their DSLRs? Why am I forced to push the record button every 12 minutes?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD