New: Canon Rebel T2i Digital SLR - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #136
Major Player

The 29:59 limit in SD mode is not due to the 4GB limit.
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #137
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Morse View Post
my HF100 no individual file is larger than 4GB, but the camera can create many of these files without dropping any frames while recording for long periods of time.

Why not do the same thing on their DSLRs?
Because your HF100 is a camcorder and is defined as such.

D-SLRs are not defined as camcorders, they are still-photo cameras. That is the distinction, and that is the reason why they are hobbled with 30 min. video recording, to prevent classification as a camcorder and therefore taxed higher (in the EU, but affects all cameras worldwide as there is only one model worldwide, and not a separate model for the EU). In other words, the limitation is there to keep the price down.

Guys, we're not going to debate the reason why the file size limitation is there, because that debate is not going to change anything... the fact is that the 4GB limitation exists, and yes it will be present even when recording to SDXC cards. For what it's worth, I've been told by more than one person at Canon USA that the reason is due mainly to the EU restrictions. Let's stop arguing about it please. Arguing about it doesn't change the fact that it's there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #138
Inner Circle

For all we know it could even be some Canon internal agreement enforced between the still camera division & camcorder division so that the former doesn't steal customers of the latter.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #139
Obstreperous Rex

Canon has completely re-organized last year and those previously separate divisions have since merged together. Within Canon USA, high-end camcorders such as the forthcoming tapeless replacement to the XH series plus all existing HDV models, together with the entire still photography EOS Digital SLR line and the imagePROGRAF large format printers are now all under the auspices of PPMD (Professional Products Marketing Division). Blame it on convergence, but those product lines are not competing with each other.

Old February 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #140
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
It's been almost like a variation of Godwin's Law. New technology comes out,
somebody does a "Downfall" parody. Not knocking Phil because his were funny,
but the saturation level was exceeded quite awhile back.
The original parody about the D3x was the best:

YouTube - Hitler rants about D3x

Some of the subtitles even matched what Hitler was saying. All of the other camera/Downfall parodies were probably derived from this original one since they seem to follow the same basic script.

As for the T2i, looks like a nice camera. I've been waiting for something like this at this price point. I'm most likely getting this one!
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #141
Major Player

Quote:
that is the reason why they are hobbled with 30 min
30 minutes sounds pretty good to me! is there any reason people dont think we'll see an increase in recording limit with the new cards?

(sorry chris i know you said you dont want to discuss it but i think its kind of a big potential selling point, for me at least - but i agree theres no need to argue about it!)
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #142
Trustee

edited post.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #143
Inner Circle

Quote:
...are now all under the auspices of PPMD (Professional Products Marketing Division)..
That sounds like a Canon USA (marketing) re-org. The structure in Japan might be different.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #144
Regular Crew

So being a complete newbie to the DSLR front... The 4 gig limit that we are talking about literally means that you have to hit record every 12 min or so???? I had assumed that it just recorded continuously but no file was larger than 4 g's. ( A whole bunch of 4 gig that you later stitch back together.)

how the heck does anyone shoot a whole ceremony with one of these!?
ha! :o)
I guess it will still be amazing for the cutaways, B-roll, etc but I probably wont be tossing out my XHA1s anytime soon...
I had hoped I could mount a few around the church inconspicuously, hit record, and then let'em roll... all the while roving with a 5th 550D getting the creatives....
32 gig card at 4 gig per 12 min = 96 min... That's plenty for the ceremonys I shoot.
What are others doing for this then? manning all cams? running them in intervals?
Very excited to see how this plays out for my wedding business....
:o)
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #145
Trustee

Darrick,

That's a better question to post in the Weddings forum.

Personally I use the dslr for b-roll at weddings, though there are a few that use only dslr.

Dslr are just another tool in the box. There are certainly situations where the traditional camera is still superior, though I find myself more and more reaching for the 5d2 instead of the XLh1.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #146
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
That sounds like a Canon USA (marketing) re-org. The structure in Japan might be different.
Canon USA is Canon Inc.'s biggest customer. As far as the US market is concerned, the pro video and D-SLR product lines are managed by the same team of tech reps and sales managers. In other words, they don't compete against each other -- they're all under the same roof.

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #147
Inner Circle

My point is that R&D, engineering, and product planning could be organized very differently, and those are the groups that most influence the technology and products that we enjoy. Personally, I have yet to work in a company in which marketing drives products. They're usually focused on selling what they've got rather than envisioning what we could have in the future.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #148
Obstreperous Rex

Among most major corporations including all of the major camcorder manufacturers (not just Canon), marketing drives products. Marketing determines what the product will be. They are the product planning division, and it is very much a customer-driven approach.

Old February 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #149
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrick Vanderwier View Post
32 gig card at 4 gig per 12 min = 96 min... That's plenty
Don't forget that these cameras can overheat. A colleague has switched to DSLR from HVX (lucky he didn't sell it!). Leave them on, shoot lots, and the li'l red thermometer starts flashing, and if you don't do anything about that, the camera will. It shuts down. The end. No switch back on until IT is ready, not you.

Luminaries such as Dan Chung and Philip Bloom mention it in passing, but that immediately will discount DSLRs from some shoots - half way through speeches?

Got a spare body for that moment? Not even that would really work.

Remember, Philip Bloom shoots only 15% of his work on DSLR. For videographers, it's an additional, special effects, crashcam, arty GV, sneaky stolen shot, night-time camera. It gives good 'interview' too. But long form? I'm glad I've got two EX1s for that.
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #150
Major Player

Over-heating is a concern - though with the price of the Rebel, buy two bodies and switch them through the day to keep them from overheating!

I agree though, there's a lot of stuff that I wouldn't use a DSLR for.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD