7D vs. Letus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

7D vs. Letus

Hi!

Now I have an EX-1, and along with some other projects I`m doing some short films.
The thing that I`m missing is shallow dof. Can you give me some advice on this...
Would it be better to get a Letus Extreme/Elite adaptor, or get a 7D DSLR...considering the 7D sound recording, and very compressed recording codec "problem"..
For now I`m PC based, so how about Premiere CS4 and 7D workflow?

As I mentioned, the main purpose is for making shorts, music videos..
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Major Player

If you have the access to plenty of lights then I would go with the EX1. It produces a lot more lines of resolution than the DSLR cameras do so you will get a really nice "filmic" look with an adapter. If you were trying to shoot other things that required a lot of available light, I would go with the 7D. Have you seen the redrock micro encore adapter? It's pretty sweet and comparable to the letus 35 ultimate. I used a redrock adapter for years and switched to a 5D because I changed shooting styles, but luckily I was still able to utilize all the rods, follow focus, and what not with my 5D. Thank you redrock for making a modular system :)
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

IMHO the image you can get out of a 7d trumps the image you can get from any DOF adapter, no matter what camera it is attached to. DOF adapters have gone the way of the dinosaur. On the other hand, you could probably pick one up pretty cheap now that lots of people are trying to sell their old ones.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Chad makes a great point... usually I say work with what you got, but in this case, the Canon T2i is coming out next month and for $800 (the price of one p2 card) you have a camera that shoots 1080p24, 1080p30, and 720p60... granted you will need things to deal with the audio situation, lenses, DSLR rigs to stabilize the thing, etc... coincidentally, you should have most of this stuff already if you are shooting short films. An adapter coupled with a high resolution video camera does have a different look than the DSLR's. DSLR's are much softer compared. It does cost more to use a video camera+adapter opposed to a DSLR configuration. Have you ever seen the movie "The Signal"? It was shot on the Canon XLH1 with a 35mm adapter. The RED One looks different than a DSLR image too. I'm happy with the look my DSLR provides, but that is something you are going to have to weigh out your self.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Major Player

I just shot a job on both the 7D and EX1. The 7D trounced the Ex1 in image quality, but I still ran round a lot with the EX1. In short there's a place for both cameras, but certainly no place for an adapter - in fact I binned mine!
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Major Player

The 550D/T2i for $799 could be a huge deal. If this thing looks close to as good as the 7D every low budget/music/skate/student/indy filmmaker is going be using one.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Trustee

My limited experience with DOF adapters was not good. Too much of a headache, too much light loss, too much money and the rigs were huge. All the footage I shot on them looked soft......too soft in my mind. In my limited time, the 7D creates a much easier way to get the 35mm lens images, and it's actually better than the HD video cameras in low light.

I can't see investing in a DOF adapter at this moment when you can own a "2nd" camera with better imaging for near the same cost (this is before the T2i which will make it ridicuously affordable!).
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've owned both and here's my impression:

adapter=soft focus, light loss, vignette, HEAVY, time-consuming

7D=sharp, low light capable, portable, fast, easy, stunning

The sound is a pain in the ass. The plural eyes software doesn't really help that much, since it's meant for multicam shoots. Pros and cons... hard to say for you.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Major Player

How is PluralEyes not helping? It works great for me syncing up single camera stuff.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Explain your workflow with Pluraleyes to me. Are you making a cut with in-cam sound first and then using pluraleyes to sync or are you syncing all your clips before cutting?
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Major Player

syncing before cutting.

I drop all my 7d clips on the timeline and then all my Zoom h4 clips, select all and hit the Pluraleyes button. It thinks for a while and then syncs everything up. I then group the zoom audio with the 7D video and reference audio, mute the 7d audio and start hacking away.

I have not gone too deep with the program though so I'm no expert. I imagine syncing after cutting would result in the clips being reordered? Any luck with the preserve order check box?
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Plural eyes has work well for me as well. Import 7D video, import Tascam audio, One click, have a cup of coffee, and you're synced.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #13
Trustee

I recently shot a short for a client, using mainly the letus on my Canon A1. Some shots I used the 7d, and a few steadycam shots, just the A1. The 7d is stunning, but the footage we got with the letus extreme was also beatifull and filmic looking. Granted, a lot of our letus shots were outdoors or indoors with plenty of ligfht, so that made life easier.
So I'm keeping my Canon H1 and 2 a1's, leaving the letus pemanently on one of the A1's.I can remove the Letus and use the 3 Canons on multi cam shoots, or mix the letus with 7d and some a1 footage. I've used the 7d several times on interviews, and it's fantastic. I save the h1 to use with the Canon wide angle hd lens, and also love the controls and audio ease.
I love the 7d, but it's nice to have an arsenal of tools to use in different combinations under different conditions. So I'm not getting rid of anything yet.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #14
Major Player

As soon as I got my 7D, I sold my Letus and associated Nikon lenses on eBay. The Letus went for about 1/2 of what I paid for it.

The Letus or any DOF adapter is a great thing, but I rarely used it because it was such a hassle to set up, use, focus, it was just an investment in time.

However, a 7D with a set of versatile glass is going to cost a bunch, but I guess you'd have to get glass with the Letus too.

If you're doing set pieces or in a studio with enough light and don't need to pick up and go or move around a lot, the Letus might be the answer mostly because you can squeeze out slightly better quality and resolution than the 7D. The sound issue is just less of a hassle as well with the EX/Letus combo than the 7D.

However, I'm thrilled with the 7D as a 'b-cam'. It's not going to replace the EX, but the 'spice' it adds and the portability make it much more useful for me. I shot maybe a few hours with the Letus in the year and a half I owned it. I've shot over 100 hours on the 7D since I got it a few months ago. I just use it all the time because it's so easy.

But it's a b-cam, just like the Letus/EX was a 'b-cam', it's just I use the 7D far more because it's a lot easier to use.

Hope this helps.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #15
Regular Crew

We bought a few Letus kits to go with the Panasonic 171, they were fine with Macro but on the long lens work there was far too much grain on the image, we decided to buy the 500d's as they were the only camera's we could afford at the time, now we have the 7d's which have made the Letus redundant now apart from using the rods and connections for the 7D kits.

The images we got through the 500 were far cleaner than the Letus, even if it was automatic.

This project uses a combination of both, you can see the grain on some of the shots on this project.

salfordtv | Light of the Seas

I do think the Ultimate is far better and cleaner than the Extreme though. Far happier using the 7D for long lens work than the Letus Kit.
Craig Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD