DSLR rigs for 7D and other Canon DSLRs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DSLR rigs for 7D and other Canon DSLRs

I didn't know what section to exactly put this in. Anyhow, other than the Redrock micro rig (which is nice but expensive), are there any others out there so video shooting is easier with these cameras. Those with follow focus would be nice.
Pasha Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #2
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...matte-box.html
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Contributor

Here's what I use:
http://www.dvfreelancer.com/articles...t/dslrRig.html
I'm going to add the Cavision follow focus next. I use threaded filters so don't need a matte box at this point.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Pasha, are you only wanting follow focus or something for handheld work?
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha Hanover View Post
I didn't know what section to exactly put this in. Anyhow, other than the Redrock micro rig (which is nice but expensive), are there any others out there so video shooting is easier with these cameras. Those with follow focus would be nice.
I highly recommend the redrock Captain Stubling rig...it's so configurable, and comes with a really nice follow focus unit...also, spend the money for a zacuto z-finder...you won't be disappointed.
Hope this helps
Ken
Ken Glassing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Ken Glassing is exactly correct!
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have the Zacuto Z-finder and have used the LCDVF extensively on another body and would actually recommend the LCDVF as the optics themselves are superb and amazing value for money.

The only thing that has worried me is that the mounting frame is a tad loose when shooting in high humidity areas. The Zacuto just sticks on really well.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM   #8
New Boot

This is my ultra compact shoulder mount rig. The baseplate it's mounted on is actually adjustable from left to right, so the offset is shifted left, to center the view while it's mounted on my shoulder.

It's great actually, because I can either mount it on my shoulder, or hoist it in front of me, and have the shoulder pad rest on my chest if I dont use the hoodman loupe (loupe is trash by the way).

I do a lot of documentary style shooting, so riding on the train, bus, or cars is not difficult with this compact type of setup.

Randall Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Is that the RedRock Eye Spy? Was thinking about getting that one, but steered more towards the Cavision rig for price reasons. However, that compact setup you use looks like it could be very handy for on-the-fly stuff.

What do you like about it? What would you change? If you had the budget to customize it/add to it, what you add and why?

Also, what matte box are you using?
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM   #10
New Boot

Michael, it's actually a frankenstein setup. I do have a proper "full" shoulder mount rig, with longer rods, and a redrock offset kit. But with this, I'm able to cary my rig with me in VERY tight situations, like the example I gave of me riding on the train in LA. The MatteBox is ProAim.

Breakdown of what I use on less tight situations:

-RedRock ShoulderPad with 18" rods
-RedRock Micro4link offset kit with 9" rods
-RedRock handle mounted on right most rod
-RedRock handle mounted on the left most rod
-ProAim MatteBox

Setup when needing a very small shoulder mount setup:

-RedRock Shoulder Pad
-9" rods
-RedRock handle (just one), mounted so that it sits in between the 2 9" rods.

cell phone pics my friend took while we were out, to better give you an idea of it's portability.

ignore how the picture below is resting far out onto my chest. I pulled the rods back more during the train ride, which caused the pad to come forward when using the view finder. When extended out a bit more, it sits perfectly on my shoulder.

Randall Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

My 7D rig I use and rent out.
Jonanthan Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Randall, it looks like you don't really use the shoulder pad at all. Have you thought about swapping the shoulder pad out for the micro brace body pad kit? It's used with theEvent: microBrace body pad accessory kit

Or you could couple that body pad kit with the shoulder pad if you wanted to.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #13
New Boot

Cody - From the picture it does seem as if I don't use it! Actually, that shot was taken right after we got off the train, I needed to shoot something at that moment, in a rush - so I didn't have time to readjust the rods to a more ergonomic position. Any other time I'm shooting around the city, or handheld, it does actually sit perfect onto my shoulder :)
Randall Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD