Advice for T2i needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice for T2i needed

Im in the process of pre-ordering the T2i but would like some advices about extra accessories I should also get.

Is the battery grip a must for the dual battery capacity? (I dont know how much a battery can last while filming) (plus it gives you a bigger grip because it is a really small camera)

About the memory card. what is the minimum speed for the SDHC card, is it class 6?
Just wondering because I have a 16gig class 4 card already in my possession.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

J-F
Jean Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Trustee

The T1i (I have one) requires a Class (6) card to insure being able to keep up with data writes, and I don't see any possibility of the T2i working reliably with a slower card. In addition to the class speed rating some have found out the T1i can be brand "finicky", so I would use the same 30Mbps SanDisk Extreme III cards in the T2i that I now use in the T1i.

The first card I used with mine was the 20Mbps Extreme III and it seemed to keep up OK and the next 2 I purchased were the newer 30Mbps version, all 3 are 8GB.

I would not risk using the Class (4) card you already have, you stand a good chance of seeing a buffer bar appear, fill up, and the recording would then shut down. Folks have lost video that way and that's a heckuva way to "find out".

I would order 2 extra batteries as soon as possible, video use will run them down fast (they will likely show amazing capacity for still photography, though). I would not mess with a "grip", one of the strong points about this camera will be it's fairly compact size and low weight. If you have to have "heft" and fuller size, go with the 7D.

None of these DSLRs have the right "form factor" for handheld video use even with a battery grip, for such use some kind of a "stabilizer" will be needed. One very inexpensive type to try would be the SpiderBrace 2 (with extra Combo grip home) at around $100 shipped, or the half priced version at Easy Brace

Another absolutely necessary accessory will be some kind of viewfinder loupe. I use the CAVISION with mounting hardware. While B&H carries the CAVISION MHE52 I would contact CAVISION in Canada directly by phone because the T2i (like the T1i) will require an extra spacing "riser" part to raise the camera up to the level of the mounted MHE52 LCD viewfinder and B&H doesn't list anything but a few basic parts. What is shown in pictures is generally for the 5D MkII.

The MHE52 uses a 6X eyepiece (which is quite large) that affords a clear magnified view of the whole LCD. Here is a picture of the whole rig with the my 7D (with the T1i the loupe fit a tad high on the LCD but was still quite usable). The image is with post #26 in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...rnative-2.html

This T2i is going to be one heckuva camera that not only will do good video but will be a great still camera. And despite some people's putting the 18-55mm "kit" lens down it's not a bad lens at all (I just hung a 16x20 print from an image shot with the original 300D Rebel and the earliest version of that "kit" lens. I'm on my 3rd Digital Rebel and have not had a bad "kit" lens with one yet. Not "L" glass but it works!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Major Player

How long of a movie clip can the t2i record? The 7D can do 12 minutes. Thank you.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

T2i video = 7D video. 4GB clip length limit; about 12 minutes of 1080 HD per clip.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Get a Sandisk Extreme 30mb/sec SDHC card and not worry about dropped frames.
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I still don't have a focusing device for the camera and I'm not sure what I would get- they're either too expensive or not that good - there's no single great deal that way, sadly, that I've found yet. I will say, however, that after just putting the camera through its first REAL shoot, 5 days in the hot, hot sun outside, that using a big black cloth draped over my head and the camera, like a photographer would do in 1906, did wonders. First, it made focusing really easy (using the magnification feature, of course. I should add these were locked-down shots. Hand-held is a different beast.) Second, it made framing easy since, in that dark space you've created under the cloth, the screen is incredibly sharp and easy to compose with. Third, my camera used to overheat outside after 20 minutes or so before using the cloth, but now, the cloth seems to absorb the heat and keeps the camera- I wouldn't say cool, but cool enough to not over heat (yet.) The battery belt seems like a total waste since batteries are so cheap and you can only shoot 12 continuous minutes, but I guess there might be scenarios where it's really useful. Only get one if you find yourself in those scenarios, though!
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

p.s. as of a couple of months ago, the best deal for cards was clearly the TRANSCEND CLASS 6 16gb cards for around $45. They are the cheapest "reliable brand" cards there are. You can pay way more for SanDisk, and get the same performance, or pay less for PATRIOT and have them crap out on you, as many people have stated on this forum. But Transcend works great for the T2i's capabilities.
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Some here have mentioned the fact that overheating on the T2i tends to be lessened when using a battery grip. A grip is definitely on my buy list, but I am a wedding/event/portrait photographer videographer, so I need all the juice I can get. There are plenty of aftermarket grips out now that are insanely cheap ($29.95 for a grip with no batteries included, $39.95 with 2 batteries, and $49.95 with 4).

I like many 8gb cards vs fewer 16gb cards. Less chance of losing a whole lot of data if one card goes bad. Plus its cheaper to get into.

Beyond that, save for good lenses obviously (unless you already have those), and get some sort of stabilization gear for doing video. Tons of DIY stuff is out there if you dont want to drop $1500 on a gorilla rig from Zacuto (there are also full shoulder rigs on ebay that can be had for around $300).
Aaron Dunlap is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD