DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Audio Recording Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/472737-audio-recording-question.html)

Zachary Mattson February 12th, 2010 12:07 PM

Audio Recording Question

I have a pretty basic question regarding audio recording with my 7D. After finding out the auto gain issue the hard way, I have decided to record future audio (until I get a wireless audio recorder) on my old JVC HD7 since it picks up perfectly crisp audio and won't cost me another dime to use.

Since I shoot in 1080p24 on the 7D, and the JVC only records video at 30fps, will this affect the audio in any way as far as syncing is concerned? It doesn't seem as though it should make a difference, as the audio should just be real time regardless of video rate, but I just thought I'd check to see if anyone has any experience with any issues in this sense.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bill Pryor February 12th, 2010 04:17 PM

I know people who have used a 60i video camera for audio with no problem when shooting 24p, so it does work. I use a Zoom H4N for double system sound and the sync is easy. What wireless recorder are you talking about? I didn't know there was one available.

Zachary Mattson February 12th, 2010 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info Bill!

I'm just referring to a portable device like the Zoom H4N. Obviously there are cords involved, but not connecting it to the camera. I've got my eye on this one seeing as it's only $110:

Ikey Audio | M-3 PORTABLE DIGI RECORDER w/SD CARD | M-3 | B&H

For now I'll just use the other cam for audio until I'm ready to drop more cash.

Thanks again!

Carlo Zanella February 12th, 2010 05:01 PM

Marantz PMD 661

I just recorded a trumpet player in a downtown location with the 7D. As an audio system I use the Marantz 661 stereo 24bit recorder with a wireless G2 system. The results are great. Also, I have never had any sync issues in post.
You can watch the results at this link:

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella:
The Santa Fe TV Show

Liam Hall February 12th, 2010 05:02 PM

If you record it on a camera at 30fps, you'll need to convert it to the correct frame rate, otherwise your sound will play too slow.

Zachary Mattson February 13th, 2010 09:56 AM

Liam, so is that something that I could just do in MPEG Streamclip? Just pull the video that I used for audio and write it to 23.976? It seems weird to me that the audio would record at a different speed, but I guess that answers my question, thanks!

Mike Calla February 15th, 2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1485378)
If you record it on a camera at 30fps, you'll need to convert it to the correct frame rate, otherwise your sound will play too slow.

Nope!

Its audio. Record your audio on your JVC HD7- dump it on your computer as a .wav file(or mp3 for the hd7?), hence no frame rate. .wav/mp3 files don't know diddly 'bout frame rates.

(You may have "sync drift" but that's a different story)

Liam Hall February 15th, 2010 04:27 AM

Mike, that's is what I mean by converting it.

Mike Calla February 15th, 2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1486292)
Mike, that's is what I mean by converting it.

cool, but nothing to do with frame rates. Formats maybe - Converting from mp3 to .wav would make a wise choice to preserve to quality when adding ANY processing at all, even a level change!

Zachary Mattson February 15th, 2010 05:33 PM

Thanks Mike! I'll just rip it to mp3 on streamclip and drop it in Vegas. Thanks all for the help! Someday soon I'll have a dedicated audio recorder, but until then this should do the trick.

Mike Calla February 16th, 2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Calla (Post 1486379)
(..)Converting from mp3 to .wav would make a wise choice to preserve to quality when adding ANY processing at all, even a level change!

Hey Zachary,

like what i said above, i think the HD7 records in mp3 - but you SHOULD convert the .mp3 to .wav 44.1khz or 48khz 16bit.

With mp3s, even something simple such as a level change, any change in fact, can have noticeable ill effects.

Note: 48khz 16bit is best if you are collaborating with others, as its the standard audio format for video, buts its not necessary. Audio coverts to different uncompressed (.wav) sampling/bit rates quite well, and much easier than video, and Vegas's audio engine is bang on:)

Zachary Mattson February 16th, 2010 09:14 AM

Good to know, I'll definitely follow this when writing out out to edit. thanks a lot!

Kelly Langerak February 16th, 2010 12:26 PM

What set up and work flow would work best for a wedding videographer who uses Final Cut?

I want to shoot with a 7D with a Rode Shotgun mic for the ceremony and have a wireless G2 hooked up to the Groom connected with a Zoom H4n then sink it up in post. Is this possible? Would I need any other gear, cords? I also have a Canon HF20 that I could use as a second camera unmanned and possibly use that for recording audio? How do you monitor the audio when recording on a 7D etc.

Will I have drifting in the audio as well if I record in .WAV and 30p?

My other videographer is going to use an EX1 and Canon 5D, but he isn't always at all the weddings. Sometimes it will be just me.

Any tips?

Thanks!