Canon Close-Up Lens 500D and UV Filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Close-Up Lens 500D and UV Filter

Hi, I am planning to add to my 24-105mm f/4L and 50mm f/1.2L lenses a close up lens (Canon 500D) to be able to take some Macro Photos

I have already installed in each lens a B+W XS-Pro Digital UV Filter, can I just screw on top of the UV Filter the Close Up Lens ?, or I have to remove it and install the Close Up lens directly to the lens ?

Assuming I have to screw the Close Up lens directly to the lens, can I scree the UV Filter on top of the Close Up lens after ?

On another subject, any experience with this Close Up lenses ?, are they good ?, are they a good option to a full Macro Lens ?, I know it will not be the same, but the size does matter, I am talking about the Canon ones, thanks
Bernard Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Screwing a diopter to the end of a lens can result in an image that's soft in the corners. If you've used a Hoodloupe, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

I bought a used EF 100/2.8 Macro for $400, and the image is sharp as a tack and much more controllable. A close up lens set is cheaper, but might not give you the result you need.

In narrative work, macros are often needed to look at clues and handwriting. If it's soft in the corners, it can give the impression of being otherworldly or impaired. In most films, you really want sharp closeups, unless your going for a special effect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD