cheap wide angle?? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Olof thanks for the quick response. I thought I was going to hold off but I have booked a shoot that needs wide on the 7d as the C camera. Agree if I make the change to the 5d or something else it will all sell easily.

Ordered the 10-22 today since I have a deadline.

Looks like snow late next week for you?

Are you going to NAB? I am there for a few days.
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM   #32
Sponsor: Westside AV

Paul,

I think you will love the lens. And it will retain its value. I love the 7D, very impressive. I have played with it for a few days now. I really like the way my old 50mm 1.4 looks wide open for mid shots, 10' or so, I will use this combo a lot.

We are all doing snow dances up here. One of the clients for the shoot will be here tomorrow, just back from Florida. She can't believe we have no snow here.

I have to go on a shoot in South Carolina and Tennessee for one of my best clients the week of NAB. Just think of all the money I will save.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Agree Olof the lens will fill a nice gap in the 7d. Also looking for a long lens with IS.

I have the Canon 17x with Optical Stabilizer for the 350 the week starting Thursday. Would be nice to do the shoot with that setup. If the setup works the way I expect I will be buying the gear mid March.

We also need to plan a ground shoot in April? Maybe Tuckermans?

NAB is cheap for me this year.
Flight on miles
Tuesday night and Wed night hotel $200
Food and entertainment $200
Not bad.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM   #34
Sponsor: Westside AV

Paul, I have the 70-200L 2.8 IS and the 100-400L 4-5.6 IS. They are both fantastic on the 5&7.

The 100-400 is like a 640 on the 7D, good outdoor tele and very portable for the length, if I need longer faster I rent them or sometimes you can get them for a while through CPS (Canon Professional Services), and they are beasts.

The 70-200 is my favorite lens on the 5D, perfect portrait lens and pretty fast, great indoor lens. I am sure it is great on the 7 as well.

My favorite walk around lens is the 24-105L 4 IS.

April is probably when we will get 6' of snow up here. Looks like snow on Wed-Thurs, but then cloudy for a few days. Knock on wood the R word is being tossed around.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Nice to hear you think the 100-400L is a decent daylight choice for the 7d. There is a used 70-200 locally I will check it out. The 100-400 is a lot less money and a lot slower. I do have a 400 and 500 I can borrow.

Too bad I owned all of these lens when I had my Red with Birger mount. Should have kept the glass. But I'm sure the money went somewhere important I just can't remember where. Probably my boat.

NO "R" just snow!!!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM   #36
Major Player

I just got my Tokina 11-16/2.8 used off Ebay, it's a very nice lens, surprisingly big, I like the hood. This lens is currently out of stock at every dealer I've checked.

I also have the Sigma 15-30 and 20-40/2.8 on my 1Ds and 1Dm2. The 1Dm2 + 15-30, 1Ds + 20-40 and 7D + 11-16/2.8 are about the same FOV for anyone who wants a comparison.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I collected my Tokina 11-16mm last week and I LOVE this lens.
I do a lot of photography in low situation (concerts) and this lens is just awesome.
Almost no fish-eye kind of distortion, fixed f/2.8 and great results.
Here's a picture I took this saturday (did some CC and small bit of cropping)
Picasa-webalbums - Jeremy - AedO - 10 jaar

I was standing very close to these guys.
Love the lens :-)
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:19 AM   #38
Major Player

nice.. i think i'll end up going for this one aswell
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Canon EFS 10-22 arrived and first test I am very pleased. This is how wide I have been looking to get.

The fact that it is slow 3.5/4.5 is not a problem for most of my shooting.

Also pleased which how straight the edges are at full wide. Not perfect but better then I expected.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Yes, it's a cracking lens. The Tokina 11-16 F2.8 gets all the glory (because it's F2.8 of course - which is fair enough) but this Canon wide angle gets somewhat overlooked. The Canon at 10, 11 and 12mm area is only half a stop slower (at F3.5) and suffers much less from horrid lens flare, less barrel distortion etc....and it'll go wider and near focus closer (which is GREAT!) and the zoom range is much more usable. Enjoy it!
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Agree Andy, you were the one in this thread who opened my eyes again to the Canon. Glad you did. Thanks!
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #42
Inner Circle

You're welcome! :-)

Also, here's another thread on DVinfo that has some good info about wide angles for the 7D, new 550D etc. - linking it just so anyone looking at all this stuff can easily and quickly get as many views as possible.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ve-2-mind.html
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I had the same question as you did, and after searching extensively I concluded that out that the Tokina is the best option, not only because of how wide can it go, still being a zoom, but especially because of it's speed (2.8 constant).

I have a couple of sigma lenses, which are of good quality, BUT BEWARE! if you happen to travel outside the country of purchase and it malfunctions, even when they say they have an international warranty, you might not be able to get it repaired unless you pay (this is just happening to me as we speak)

Canon as always is a sure bet, but as usual, you pay more for a similar lens.

If you use lens adapters (eg: 0.4x), you will stop the light down, and that might become a problem in certain situations.

The problem with the tokina's is to get hold of one. I finally managed to buy mine today after being in a 4 month waiting list at B&H, and apparently they just ran out of them again.

Mauricio
Mauricio DelaOrta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD