cheap wide angle?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Major Player

cheap wide angle??

Hi,

so i had on my shopping list for some stage in the near future a Canon 10-22 or a Tokina 11-16mm as they have good reports from most around here.

But..

Its crossed my mind that a wide angle will only be used by me for quite specific shots, only on a tripod so Im wondering isnt there some old manual equivalent i could pick up that could do the same job (even if its fixed length) for a fifth of the price?

Or were old lenses not that wide as they didnt have the crop factor to deal with?

Thanks for any thoughts on this! Im guessing theres a simple answer that says i'll have to invest in one of the above two but no harm in asking!
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #2
Major Player

ok.. so far my research has turned up a Nikon 13mm, quite a bargain with 2nd hand prices around 10-20,000$

(maybe ive answered my own question!)
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Trustee

This one might be a good choice: Samyang.pl Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical

You will be able to find it for about 300-400$ in a few weeks I thnik.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm at B&H is $449. That might not be as wide as you are wanting...
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Contributor

That Samyang is a fisheye, isn't it? If not, it should be good.

There's a Sigma 20mm, which would give you about the area of a 32mm lens in the full frame world. I think it's an f1.8. That Canon 17-85 only opens up to around a 3.5, doesn't it? Overall the best bang for the buck seems to be the Tokina 11-16. I have a Tokina 16-50 for my wide angle, because that 16mm is wider than my widest angle on my XH A1, and that's been OK for me. The Tokina is a 2.8.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The Tokina 11-16mm is amazing for the price. Used it a lot for a shoot this weekend and it helped a lot in tight places. No fisheye distortion either, all nice angles
Martin Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
That Samyang is a fisheye, isn't it? If not, it should be good.

There's a Sigma 20mm, which would give you about the area of a 32mm lens in the full frame world. I think it's an f1.8. That Canon 17-85 only opens up to around a 3.5, doesn't it? Overall the best bang for the buck seems to be the Tokina 11-16. I have a Tokina 16-50 for my wide angle, because that 16mm is wider than my widest angle on my XH A1, and that's been OK for me. The Tokina is a 2.8.
Bill, the Samyang 14mm is a new lens to be released in march if I am not mistaken. The 8mm is the fisheye. This one is a true wide angle that can also be used on full frame.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...amyung14mm.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...amyang14mm.asp
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Just ordered the Tokina 11-16 and look forward to trying on the 7d for time laps I have planned this week.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheye... with the 1.6x crop, the fishiness is mostly gone. Due to the fisheye design, the angle of coverage is more like 10-12mm on a 1.6x crop.

You could go with a Raynox or Century Optics add-on that screws on to the front of your 18-55 or whatever.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Just ordered the Tokina 11-16 and look forward to trying on the 7d for time laps I have planned this week.
Did you find a place that has these in stock? I've been looking for one..
Brian Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
You could go with a Raynox or Century Optics add-on that screws on to the front of your 18-55 or whatever.
sounds interesting.. do these exist for photo lenses though? i can only seem to find them for video cameras?
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald View Post
Bill, the Samyang 14mm is a new lens to be released in march if I am not mistaken. The 8mm is the fisheye. This one is a true wide angle that can also be used on full frame.

Samyang offers 14mm F/2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical lens: Digital Photography Review

Samyang announces 14mm f/2.8 lens availability: Digital Photography Review
also sounds interesting! i'm actually trying to imagine just how does a 14mm look, compared to 17mm, or with the canon/tokina, just how much will that extra 1mm give (at 10mm?)..

i think a trip to my local camera store is needed..
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney View Post
sounds interesting.. do these exist for photo lenses though? i can only seem to find them for video cameras?
There are models for digicams, but mostly, they're for video. Check the Raynox site.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #14
Major Player

thanks.. i can only find these though Raynox conversion lenses for Digital SLR camera i dont think theyre wide angle converters are they?

edit: found this page http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/eg...tm#hd6600pro49 they look really interesting, the price seems good (by googling model numbers) but i cant find anything with a filter size that im looking for.. the website is pretty hard to get around!

has anybody used wide angle converters with DSLR lenses? pros/cons/thoughts?
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #15
Major Player

The HD-6600PRO58 is probably what you're looking for if you're using the kit 18-55.

You will get what you pay for. The 18-55 isn't bad, but not stellar, now you're adding on several layers of glass. Chromatic aberations and fringing will be a problem in some shots.

So there will be 2 factors in the equation, the lens on the camera, and then the add-on.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD