What lens should someone on a relatively smaller budget invest in? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I had the 35/2 and sold it. It's not a bad lens though. The downsides are the cheap focus ring and build quality (it's an older design). On the upside, the images aren't bad and it has a very close minimum focus distance. I personally prefer the 50/1.4, which I got for $350 new, or the 28/1.8, which was about $400 used. With those two lenses, I found that I never reached for the 35/2. Then again, the 50/1.4 and 28/1.8 don't focus nearly as close as the 35/2.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

On a cheap budget I recommend the Sigma 1.4, Canon 1.4 and Tokina 11-16!
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #18
Major Player

The lens I can't get off because I love it to much is an old nikon mount Sigma 50mm Macro 2.8. I removed the lens from a 1995 Leaf Lumina scanning back. It has a green IR filter that adds a bit a colour in a quirky way I love, so that stay on.

I used to carry the Canon 1.4 and compared to this even though it's a lot slower I love it. The sigma is much sharper on the edges even when the canon is stopped down.
The Bokeh is diffused as this is a macro lens.

Worth about £50 brass lens adapter £10

Here is the lens in action the other day.

James
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #19
Trustee

James. Your footage looks awsome and I do like that odd green cast that you mentioned from the filter. It gives this footage a "historical" or "dreamy" cast to it. I almost felt like I was watching old film footage from the seventies or something.

The second clip has an large amount of optical anomalies.....lens flares that really obstruct and diffuse the image in a unique way popping in and out. Now don't get me wrong, as an effect this was great....I felt like I was watching someone's memories and the optical cues made it feel nostalgic. The question I have it was this on purpose? Or were these just side effects of the filter and glass of the sigma?

Even though it looked great and fit the piece as you edited it, if this were a narrative I would find myself getting pulled out of the story and being reminded that there is a camera...and thus a camera man filming this. In fact, as I think of it, that is what makes your piece feel kind of magical....I feel as though I am the person filiming it or living it....it is obvious that it is a first person perspective. At least to me.

Anyway....any insight on this would be grand. Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Marty,

Thanks, you put that nicely.

It gives me that nostalgic feeling too, In a way that its hard to put your finger on. but to me reminiscent of my grandfathers 8mm reels, I found it hard to cut as I loved looking at it uncut. If you've ever edited your own families 8mm films they are hard to cut as you want to watch and include everything, well it felt like that to me with this one, so I left them all in.

The optical anomalies were intentional, I've been messing around with nikon mounts and screw M42 lenses with lots of adapters, letting the light leak from behind as if on a translucent bellow. I set the lens to infinity and focus by moving the lens physically forward or backward and rocking side to side, as if in a hip joint motion.

Nothing worth showing at the moment but once I've mastered the construction and mounts of the bellow I'll post a pic.

..not sure if any of that made sense, but you get the idea.

The other flick 'On Sussex Downs' is with the sigma directly attached as normal, just keeping on the IR filter to give a cookie colour.

P.S. sorry for moving off topic.

James
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Costa View Post
Did you know if this would be better? Canon EF-S 17-85 mm F4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review. Article says it seems to be quite a good lens, just not sure about low light performance?

Thanks again
The 17-85 is _much_ better than stock 18-55 or the Sigma 18-55 (non-2.8 version).

Low-light stinks tho since it's f4-5.6. I have f2.8 lenses, but for video, I often come back to my Sigma 30/1.4.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Okay for stills but nearly impossible to get manual focus. Lousy for video.
Looking at this video:

YouTube - CANON EOS 7D TEST FILM LOOK

It looks like he is not having much trouble with the focus. What is he doing differently?
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I have the Canon 50mm f1.4 and love it, I'm new to Canon having been a long time Nikon user. I'm also going to get the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 I also use my old Nikon AI lenses with the Ebay adapter.

I have the Nikkor 200mm f4, 24mm f2.8, 75-150E f3.5. With the adapter I'm also using my Kenko extension tubes. All these type of lenses are availble used at very reasonable prices.

All these lenses on the 7D are giving great results, in comparison to my trusty Canon HV30.

Jem Schofield of the thec41.com is using old Olympus OM1 lenses with his 7D, giving very good results.

Just make sure you get an aperture ring on the lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD