DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Sigma warranty not being honoured!!?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/473440-sigma-warranty-not-being-honoured.html)

Mauricio DelaOrta February 23rd, 2010 01:54 PM

Sigma warranty not being honoured!!??

Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do to get it fixed? :

I have a sigma lens for my 7D which I bought at B&H Photo accompanied by an International warranty. Right now I came to Mexico to my sister's wedding and unfortunately the lens stopped working a few hours after arriving in Mexico City.

I took the lens to the service center in Mexico City that Sigma has on their website and they told me that they won't honour the warranty. I've been trying to get them to fix my lens to no avail. The problem is that my sister's wedding is this saturday.

I already called Sigma USA and they told me that the service center in Mexico must honor the warranty, but that if they don't, they can't do anything about it.

I'm starting to doubt Sigma's International warranty is really an international warranty and more of a scam.

Mauricio

Kelly Langerak February 23rd, 2010 02:28 PM

I won't be buying these lens. Let us know if they do change their minds.

or buy and return.

Mexico, I swear!

Andy Wilkinson February 23rd, 2010 04:35 PM

I've worked in Mexico City (a lot, a few years back) and know how these things "can be" there but, more to the point, what exactly is not working with this Sigma lens... and what exact lens is it?....What will it not now do? Is it just this lens?.... or is it perhaps the 7D or some kind of communication error? (i.e. if you have another lens does that work OK?)....Are the lens and camera electrical contacts clean?

Maybe if you can describe the problem in detail someone might know a fix so you can shoot on Saturday.

If not, as suggested, find somewhere to hire (a non-Sigma, more reliable lens...I'd suggest a Canon!).

Would be purchasers of Sigma lenses should take note of your predicament about this warranty - personally I won't touch this brand as I've heard of too many duds and problems with quality control. A story like this about avoiding warranty responsibilities will do them no favours either.

Good luck!

Kin Lau February 23rd, 2010 05:50 PM

Every brand has it's horror stories... the one's about Canon's CPS depot in New Jersey are astounding. Check out this thread NatureScapes.Net • View topic - CPS Nightmare

For comparison, I've had numerous out-of-warranty repairs done by Sigma Canada free-of-charge.

Jason McDonald February 23rd, 2010 06:44 PM

I've only ever had 2 problems. One with a Sigma 10-20 lens and 1 with a Tokina 12-24 lens. BOTH time they replaced the lenses but it was later down the line that I realized it was user error. I once forgot to switch off the shutter release on the battery grip on my old D200. The accidental pushing of the button caused the camera to try and focus when I thought I wasn't touching anything. Nikon guys were just as confused. They took the camera and gave it a good cleaning. When I went in to pick it up the guy said "This might have been your problem" pointing out the shutter release on the grip. They still cleaned everything up though, just to make sure.

Mauricio DelaOrta February 24th, 2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1490004)
I've worked in Mexico City (a lot, a few years back) and know how these things "can be" there but, more to the point, what exactly is not working with this Sigma lens... and what exact lens is it?....What will it not now do? Is it just this lens?.... or is it perhaps the 7D or some kind of communication error? (i.e. if you have another lens does that work OK?)....Are the lens and camera electrical contacts clean?

Maybe if you can describe the problem in detail someone might know a fix so you can shoot on Saturday.

If not, as suggested, find somewhere to hire (a non-Sigma, more reliable lens...I'd suggest a Canon!).

Would be purchasers of Sigma lenses should take note of your predicament about this warranty - personally I won't touch this brand as I've heard of too many duds and problems with quality control. A story like this about avoiding warranty responsibilities will do them no favours either.

Good luck!

Thanks for your support. I have a Tamron and two Canon lenses too and they all work fine. The sigma in question is making strange noises when mounted to the camera, they remind me of a 'short circuit'.

I tried turning the AF on and off, as well as the Optical Stabilization, but the sound is still there. I am worried that the short circuit will damage my 7D.

Regarding Sigma: The lady who answered the phone at Sigma USA was no more helpful than the people in Sigma Mexico. All she told me is to go an tell them they must fix the lens under your warranty. I answered "I did, and they say they won't". She replied "well, then you will have to pay them, there is nothing we can do to make them honor the warranty"

So Sigma is telling me to pay because they can't honor their International warranty elsewhere... Is there something wrong with this, or is it just me?

Mauricio

Manuel Hernandez-Stumpfhauser February 24th, 2010 06:30 PM

I also live in Mexico and I was going to buy a Sigma lens, but after hearing about your situation I don't pretend to buy an equipment that its brand doesn't honour their warranty. This is amazing!

Good luck with your problem

Saludos!

Nigel Barker February 25th, 2010 03:45 PM

In purely practical terms even if they did agree to take it in for warranty repair there is no guarantee that could fix it & you would get it back before you return to the US let alone by this Saturday.

When you get home return it to B&H for a refund as the warranty they gave you is clearly worthless outside the US despite the 'International' claim.

Mauricio DelaOrta February 25th, 2010 04:39 PM

True, no chance I would get the lens back in time (I've been insisting for almost a month though).

I just rented a Tamron 17-50 that should do the trick.

Some moments ago I was thinking how sometimes we are in charge of preserving memories for a lifetime... This time, the memories will not only be the pics of my Sister's wedding, but the quality of the service at Sigma.... (growling like an angry dog)

Manuel: Gracias por el apoyo!

Mauricio

Mauricio DelaOrta March 7th, 2010 02:20 PM

I just came back from my sister's wedding, and I'm so glad I rented the Tamron 17-50 lens!! I absolutely love it!

Unfortunately, Sigma still hasn't agreed to fix my lens under their 'international' warranty. I wonder how can we users enforce such a company to fulfill what they offer as a hook to buy their products?

Mauricio