A personal story... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Major Player

A personal story...

Hi all,

I don't post much lately, but I wanted to share something with the members of the forum that taught me so much over the years.

I can tell you the exact day I first thought about this because I was taking pictures. It's great that you can remember the exact day and hour something happened thanks to metatags...

It was 3/21/2007 at about 0:20am (though it seems like ten years ago) and in those days I was trying to start working as a professional videographer. I was at home, taking pics of my girlfriend and trying to get the most out of my new 400D. Looking through the viewfinder I thought about the huge difference between what I was seeing: the texture, the light and the DOF... and like a 99% of the video cameras out there. Why all camcorders had to shoot interlaced video with tiny sensors if cinema was the exact opposite? Why not a single company offered some kind of alternative? Was it really true that noone had ever thought of recording what I was seeing through the viewfinder of my DSLR?

That same night I started my research on alternatives to standard digital camcorders, I found this great forum and begun my "homemade digital cinema camera" project. Then I heard about the RED One, the Silicon Imaging... things were changing... I found out about 35mm adapters, the HV20/30/40 revolution for indie filmmakers, I was learning new exciting things every single day. Then the first D90 video came out and people went crazy. It wasn't there yet but things were on their way. After that, the 5D where the real revolution begun. A few months after, the GH1... None of them were perfect but each one came with a new big step forward.

Nowadays we have video pros using DSLRs for their everyday work. It's been 3 years since I asked myself why there wasn't a single nearly affordable 35mm sensor cam shooting video and things have changed dramatically.

Right now I'm opening the box of my EOS 7D and if it wasn't for this story, you wouldn't know how happy I am.
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Great story.

This forum helped me change my life completely too. 3 years ago I was just sitting on planes all the time spending way, way too much time many 1000's miles away from my family and dear old England and wondering if I should follow my dream and start a video production company. Like you, I eventually found this forum and, mainly through the generosity of many on here but also some friends here in England, learnt many things that helped me gain the confidence and skills to actually "do it". I got one of the very first EX3s and recently a 7D. Now, where I can, I try and give something back to help others on here.

It's going rather well right now - only tonight I got a fantastic complement regarding one of my latest Corporate Videos ('Probably The Best Printer?' which is about D S Smith Multigraphics) which is on YouTube....it's also on Vimeo and my own website...and my whole family gathered around the Mac to read the comment and gave me a hug. If I did n't have such a stinking cold right now I'd say life is RATHER GOOD!

Enjoy the 7D Jose - I think I've fallen in love with mine!
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Great story!

For me, I shot 35mm film stills casually years ago, but it was expensive and a bit of a hassle. More recently, I wanted a great, inexpensive cinema camera, but couldn't justify an HVX, let alone a 35mm adapter and all the trappings.

Then, along comes the Scarlet prototype at NAB 2008. 3K for $3k sounded great. Next comes the D90. I really wanted that to be my camera, but the jello and poor codec put me off. Within the blink of an eye, Canon releases the 5D Mark II, and the next thing you know, I'm spending $2,700 on a camera, plus more for accessories.

Without the video function, buying a DSLR wasn't even on my radar.

Now I look back at the HVX, and I'm really glad I waited.

Welcome to the revolution!
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Thank goodness, this thing works after all.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Thank goodness, this thing works after all.
And how! This place has been instrumental to me in my business. There's no way I'd be where I am today without this place.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD