Editing w/ the T2i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Trustee

Editing w/ the T2i?

How easy/hard will it be to edit w/ this cam? I currently shoot with a JVC 100, and the work-around digitizing I must do to make HDV work drives me mad (I have to digitize w/ Vegas, then import it into Premiere, then render out the footage).

Bottom line is this - I use CS3 - can I shoot and digitize then edit in one simple process, or will there be some crazy work-around needed?

Thanks for any help in this (as it's the only thing keeping me from ordering one right now).

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
How easy/hard will it be to edit w/ this cam?
Get Neoscene for about $100. It can batch convert your footage to an editable format and avoid a number of nit-picky problems that can screw up your footage. On a four core machine, it's roughly a real-time process, which is no slower than capturing a DV tape to your hard drive.
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
How easy/hard will it be to edit w/ this cam? I currently shoot with a JVC 100, and the work-around digitizing I must do to make HDV work drives me mad (I have to digitize w/ Vegas, then import it into Premiere, then render out the footage).

Bottom line is this - I use CS3 - can I shoot and digitize then edit in one simple process, or will there be some crazy work-around needed?

Thanks for any help in this (as it's the only thing keeping me from ordering one right now).

john
I'm in the same boat, trying to get my head around the edit process.

I've downlaoded the trial of neoscene, and downloaded some sample clips shot on a 7d (native .mov's)

Dropped the converted files (.mov> Avi cineform) into an HDV project in CS3.

CS3 allows the files into the project ok, but they do have the red line above, and its not smooth playback (might be better on a better machine than mine - mid range quad core, 3 gig RAM)

I've been told by one of the cineform guys on another thread that its better on CS4 (or CS5 soon) and that prospect from cineform would be better

theis is the thread if it helps

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...questions.html

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't mind having to render footage - I'm so used to it, it doesn't make a difference.

Do you think that premiere will be able to "see" the camera to digitize the footage, or will I have to go through another program first (which is what I have to do with the JVC).

john
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

John, I believe there are some raw T2i/550D files in this tread if you'd like to try for yourself:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-550d...d-samples.html
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

for Final Cut

On a mac, editing should be fairly straightforward. The 5D only shoots 30, but, if I am understanding Chris correctly, the Rebel shoots true 29.97, which should avoid that horrible 99.99% sync issue with Final Cut Pro. (Yes?)

If so, then all you have to do is drag the clips off the camera and convert them to a better editing codec than the H.264 which is what they are, because H.264 is too taxing on a computer for editing purposes.

For Final Cut, Apple ProRes works perfectly, though friends tell me the ProRes Draft codec is good enough sometimes (and much smaller.) I guess it depends on what your needs and limitations are.

Convert the clips to ProRes, leave all other settings the same, and drag into your program to begin the edit.
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Jon, You can also download Mpeg Streamclip, a free software, that will convert to any number of formats. I am using the 5D and 7D for a newspaper. The Rebel sounds interesting as another, 2nd body for video....

Jerry Mennenga
Sioux City, Iowa
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks guys....

Well, baring some really horrible news regarding this camera, I'll be ordering it w/ 2 weeks (which ought to be enough time).

john
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Just got NeoScene last week after trying to survive with studdering editing on Vegas 9 on a dual core machine. a Single track of 1080P footage played back at approximately 5fps in the timeline in .mov out of the camera. This made editing almost impossible and I had several missed syncs of audio and video because of my inability to efficiently view timeline. After converting to NeoScene's .avi, I could play 3 tracks of 1080P from the 7D at around 27fps. 1 or two tracks pegged 30fps. NeoScene doesn't seem to help render times, however, just viewing in the timeline while editing.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #10
New Boot

I would like to use this camera to shoot in 720p but convert the footage to DV/PAL and edit it in Premier 7.0. (I will not need higher resolution due to the projects being meant for DVD). Is this possible?

Will Neoscene fix this for me? When I put in DV/AVI files into the timeline I don't need to render and it works great with my current computer (Which is to slow for HD editing I think) so I would like to get my 550d-footage into that format before editing.
Emil Gustafsson Ryderup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Trustee

Create droplet from Compressor and batch convert the H.264 files from the finder, that is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David St. Juskow View Post
On a mac, editing should be fairly straightforward. The 5D only shoots 30, but, if I am understanding Chris correctly, the Rebel shoots true 29.97, which should avoid that horrible 99.99% sync issue with Final Cut Pro. (Yes?)

If so, then all you have to do is drag the clips off the camera and convert them to a better editing codec than the H.264 which is what they are, because H.264 is too taxing on a computer for editing purposes.

For Final Cut, Apple ProRes works perfectly, though friends tell me the ProRes Draft codec is good enough sometimes (and much smaller.) I guess it depends on what your needs and limitations are.

Convert the clips to ProRes, leave all other settings the same, and drag into your program to begin the edit.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Emil, I would advise you to shoot 1080p, edit 1080p and then at the end export it for DVD. You never know when you'll want something in HD and you'll hate yourself for having it DV. Been there, done that.

If you can't/won't do that, if your comp handles editing 720p you can do it like that then when you export, export it to DVD quality.

Finally, if you just want to make the whole thing DV from the get-go, I'm pretty sure Adobe Media Encoder will suffice. Just drag your footage in there and convert it to Quicktime DV or something similar.
Alex Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

What's all the fuss?

I downloaded a clip today to see how they work.
Windows says it's 1920x1088 23fps

Edius and G-Spot says 1920x1080, 23.976fps avc1 codec

Open a 24p project in Edius 5,
open the footage in the bin,
drag to timeline and play.

Ful-rez output on my NX monitor looks pretty good.
Transitions don't play through, but that's fine for now.

The next version of Edius will include the AVCHD booster (currently for Edius Neo) This may or may not work with avc1 files.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Can anyone tell me what advantage neoscene has over using the cineform codec that comes with Vegas 9?

I can use the inbuilt codec - render to avi - the only difference i can see is that the file size is twice as big?

Cheers
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Neoscene is from Cineform. It's their inexpensive product that works well with Canon's DvSLRs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD