Zoom Lenses for the T2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David St. Juskow View Post
Does the IS feature really make a difference in hand-held filming?
Here's a good example:

Stan Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #32
Regular Crew

That's breathtaking, especially at 200mm.

But on much shorter lenses, IS is not very important. Even though this thread is about zoom lenses, I must mention that very few prime lenses have IS, and all of the ones that I've seen have been long lenses.
Fei Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Unless you have an unlimited budget a good tripod can be a less expensive route if you don't need hand held.

I went to a real old fashioned camera store today, Kenmore Camera. They not only had the T2i kit they also had the body only. Way more rare they had a brand new in the box with US warranty Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 at the list price. There is a fleabay dealer (that is Ok) that has the Tokina but they are adding a $100 scalping premium to list.

My lens collection for my 30D is the el cheapo non IS 18-55mm Kit, the only reason I got it was as a $50 Macro, 50mm f1.8 (Mk1 metal bayonet), 17-40mm and 70-200 both f4.0 L. and a canon 1.4x extender. As the 17-40 is my go to lens for stills I added the 11-16 Tokina today and a T2i body. More than I was planning on spending but I'm happy and way less than a HMC40. The 12 minute limit is a non issue for me.

Being a real Camera store I could shoot and try different lenses. The Tokina 11-16 is to me on a par with an L, it's a quality bit of kit. The Canon 10-22 is slower and is the usual inferior non L plastic fantastic fit, finish and feel. The focus and zoom on the 11-16 has very pro feel to it. The Tokina has a legion of good reviews or I would have not bought it as my first non Canon lens for a Canon.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #34
Regular Crew

One thing I would like to add is a good set of lenses will be with you as long as your working in the field. A camera will become obsolete after a few years at the least. I'm hesitant to jump into a new body when I can buy the lenses and rent the bodies. At least until a full fledged dedicated video camera with a large sensor comes out at which point I will have attained a nice set of lenses. $800 is not bad for a T2i, much easier to swallow than an 5d/7d.
Alexandru Cristescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #35
Inner Circle

On the other hand, you can rent an L lens for something like 30/day, while a pro body will cost closer to $150.

That said, if you buy used and keep your gear in good condition, keeping the lens for a few years and selling later in order to upgrade is like a free rental. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD