Which Lenses that works with both 5D and T2i ? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
For me, I think the height is the critical item. Look at 16x9 TV shows that are also made for 4x3 TV viewing. Rather than letterbox for 4x3 or crop vertically to get 16x9, the 16x9 view gets more width. This makes a lot of sense, because the framing is mainly to get a certain amount of a person's face or body.

When shooting 2.35:1 I would definitely want wider lenses than for 4x3 or 16x9. It's all about how I want to frame the people vertically. The wider aspect simply gives more peripheral view.
What's worth noting is that shots captured on Super 35, which are composed for different release formats, are cropped vertically and horizontally to achieve the desired final aspect ratios. In other words, a 2.35:1 theatrical print will actually have less vertical information than the 1.33:1 "full screen" home video master.

Pixar doesn't do any cropping for their "full screen" home video releases. They actually rearrange the elements within every shot so that the same information is conveyed as in the widescreen version.

Having seen both the IMAX and regular versions of Avatar, I can say that the regular 2.35:1 version is definitely cropped vertically from the IMAX. And in my opinion, the IMAX aspect ratio is the better presentation of the movie, because the 2.35:1 felt a bit too tight in many shots.
Fei Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Meng View Post
By the way, legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins discusses the "normal lens" issue on his forum and his own idea of "normal" for 35mm cinematography is 32mm.
That exactly what i mean. The image area of 35mm film is 22mm * 16mm - twice the height is 32 mm.

That is the modern definition (not my definition) and this definition is for beginners more useful than the old.

After the old definition the standart lense for T2i will be around 50mm.

Beginner will think 50mm is the normal lens for filming - cool, for wide images i need a good 24mm lens.

But in reality a 24mm lens on a T2i will not archiv a wide image.

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I grew up with this stuff. But I teach and I know there are people reading this who are confused. The holes in 35mm film run along the top and bottom in an old fashioned SLR. In a movie camera they run on the left and right side. So the width of the image is defined by the width of the film in movies and the height is defined by the film in an SLR. So a 35MM SLR Still image is a whole lot bigger than a 35MM movie image. Hope this helps and not hurts the newbies that the T2i will bring in.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #34
Regular Crew

The DoF of the 7D or T2i is very near the DoF of 35mm movie image.
Why should this "hurts the newbies that the T2i will bring in"?

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Lenses for T2i / 550D

Hi guys,

Just noticed that you are talking about which lenses are working with the new Canon Rebel T2i / 550D.

I wrote a review / shot a video ("February") with a pre-production 550D earlier this week that you might have seen and read.

I've just started a new series on my blog talking about essential accessories for this camera, especially considering if you're on a budget. I started out with lenses:
On a budget? Pimp your new Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D with essential accessories! Part 1: BASIC LENSES | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner

Looking forward to feedback! Please write me if you feel I missed a lens that is a "must-have"! Thanks!
Nino Leitner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD