How Useful is a Matte Box on 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How Useful is a Matte Box on 7D?

What advantage does a matte box give over using a lens hood? Is it for the filters? Is it to look cool? I noticed Phillip Bloom says to get one but I never see him use one with a 7D.
Ethan Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, a matte-box allows you to use drop-in filters and yes, it's also used to protect the lens from stray light causing flares and other annoyances. And yes pimping your 7D with a matte-box will make you look cool - giving the camera a bit of presence can be a good thing and isn't necessarily just about ego.

Bloom probably didn't have a matte-box that fitted the the camera and if he was using a fader ND he wouldn't have been able to fit a hood on the camera.

Years ago it would have been considered a crime to shoot without protecting your lens with a decent hood or matte-box, but with the 7D speed and convenience often come first.
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
giving the camera a bit of presence can be a good thing and isn't necessarily just about ego.
Never thought of it that way
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Tourist

situational

I think the matte box is important if you need to look more professional, makes it look like your camera is more expensive.

But you can take the matte box off and use a simple camera lens hood to blend in and not advertise you are shooting video.

This is one of the benefits of the dslrs, thier flexibility in configurations.
Michael T. Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Does anyone have a model number for the matte box for the Canon 7D?

Can you only use primes with the matte box? What are some other limitations?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Major Player

If you have a rails system then the Redrock is very good for the price. If you want a clip on then there's the genus.

Some zooms work with a mattebox, but not all; lenses that extend when you zoom or focus tend not to work so well.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Lane View Post
What advantage does a matte box give over using a lens hood? Is it for the filters? Is it to look cool? I noticed Phillip Bloom says to get one but I never see him use one with a 7D.
I use a fader ND and that's it. If you are filter crazy then it might make sense... other than that it's a glorified sunshade that makes you look cool.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Major Player

I like using a matte box. It can be pretty situation specific but they have a of of uses.

You can stack 4x4 Glass ND filters in them which is great, these are also easily rented. You can use graduated filters in them which is probably their biggest selling point, you can also choose how much grad to use by sliding the filter in and out of the filter slot, rotate it as well. The french flag is great for lens flares and living in the northwest i find that they are great for keeping rain off your lens.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk Webb View Post
You can stack 4x4 Glass ND filters in them which is great, these are also easily rented. You can use graduated filters in them which is probably their biggest selling point, you can also choose how much grad to use by sliding the filter in and out of the filter slot, rotate it as well. The french flag is great for lens flares and living in the northwest i find that they are great for keeping rain off your lens.
Now these are some good points to consider
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Me thinks these are really all just excuses to look more professional ;) just admit it everybody...we all know.
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Inner Circle

A fixed hood is fine but the moment you find yourself gaffering bent flaps of cereal packet on it to block some light, you have become aware of the need for flags and maybe could use a mattebox with its hinged flaps.

Yes there is pose value to having one. It might also hint that you are taking your task seriously.

Last edited by Bob Hart; February 26th, 2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Lane View Post
Never say never ;-)

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/09/03/...st-video-dslr/
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T. Neal View Post
makes it look like your camera is more expensive.
i guess thats true but its still a little silly to buy or carry a piece of kit for that reason (imo)..sorry!

Last edited by Manus Sweeney; February 27th, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I use a fader ND and that's it. If you are filter crazy then it might make sense... other than that it's a glorified sunshade that makes you look cool.
Sorry, but you are talking cobblers.

During camera tests on "24" Keifer sutherland said how he found it difficult to perform in front of such a small form camera, so as I said earlier, it's not just about looking pro. Also, a matte box is simply the best way to protect your lens against stray light and the best way to insert and manipulate filters.
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Regular Crew

True...I don't pass the Keifer Test

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD