DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Essential accessories when you're on a budget (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/473826-essential-accessories-when-youre-budget.html)

Nino Leitner February 28th, 2010 08:39 PM

Essential accessories when you're on a budget

Hi guys,

I've just started a new series on my blog talking about essential accessories for this camera, especially considering if you're on a budget. I started out with lenses:
On a budget? Pimp your new Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D with essential accessories! Part 1: BASIC LENSES | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner

Looking forward to feedback! I am still collecting tips from people on what they think is an "essential" piece of kit you need to use a DSLR properly. Greatly appreciated!!

Nino

J.J. Kim February 28th, 2010 10:47 PM

Hey, Nino.
Great post.
I would def. throw H4N or some sort (even more so than external mic since it can also act as external mic with right cable).
Loved your "February" movie. What did blog troll say about your work? Just curios.
I own 24-70mm and it's an awesome lens. I rented several different lenses from local Calumet, but I felt for event filmmaking, that zoom lens in particular got the best focal length that I needed for pre-ceremony and reception. I rented several prime lenses, but really didn't like not being able to change the focal length, but I am sure there are other occasion when they come really handy.
One of my friend uses EF-S 17-55 and he told me he loves it. I used a little bit when he visited Chicago, and I do believe that within similar focal length, that lens, too, could be a good zoom lens.
Thank you again for great blog posts and sharing good stuff.
Best of luck to you!

JJ

Konrad Haskins February 28th, 2010 11:21 PM

Good sound, good glass and a good tripod. Sound is the only one of the three which is easy. The other two are subject to never ending debate on web forums.

Nino Leitner March 1st, 2010 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.J. Kim (Post 1492730)
Hey, Nino.
Great post.
I would def. throw H4N or some sort (even more so than external mic since it can also act as external mic with right cable).
Loved your "February" movie. What did blog troll say about your work? Just curios.
I own 24-70mm and it's an awesome lens. I rented several different lenses from local Calumet, but I felt for event filmmaking, that zoom lens in particular got the best focal length that I needed for pre-ceremony and reception. I rented several prime lenses, but really didn't like not being able to change the focal length, but I am sure there are other occasion when they come really handy.
One of my friend uses EF-S 17-55 and he told me he loves it. I used a little bit when he visited Chicago, and I do believe that within similar focal length, that lens, too, could be a good zoom lens.
Thank you again for great blog posts and sharing good stuff.
Best of luck to you!

JJ

Thanks for your kind comments!

Forget the troll, he just annoyed me by persistently claiming there was no chance that I got a 550D a week before him. Because he is oh-so-connected. He said I shot it on a 7D, which is ridiculous.

I won't cover EF-S lenses, but thanks for the tip. I don't think there's a point in purchasing lenses that are not full-frame based, because they will be useless if you ever move to a more professional camera body. I know it's tough because there are affordable EF-S lens options out there, but I don't think it's a good idea to invest in that kind of kit.
I will cover the H4N with external microphones in a future posting, just forgot to include that in the list. It's updated now.

I have to say - this is by far the most useful forum on digital filmmaking!
Nino

Fergus Anderson March 1st, 2010 07:18 AM

dpreview gave a very good review to the sigma 50 1.4 which might be an alternative to the Canon 50 1.4?

Nino Leitner March 1st, 2010 08:28 AM

Hey Fergus, thanks for noticing - I considered that, but quite weirdly, the Sigma is $150 more expensive!

Robin de Lange March 16th, 2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.J. Kim (Post 1492730)
Hey, Nino.
Great post.

JJ

Do you whether this also works with H2N? People are saying that it isn't much work to synchronize in post. But the thing I hear nobody about is that it must be horrible to review shots on location when the audio is separated from the video. That must be even lousier than with HDV.. So that's why I'm looking for external mics on the 550d and how to get rid of the automatic gain control. But if the H2N could also be attached to the mic, that would be great.

Stan Chase March 16th, 2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin de Lange (Post 1500205)
Do you whether this also works with H2N?

Unless Zoom released it when I wasn't looking, there's isn't a H2N..only a H2.

Quote:

People are saying that it isn't much work to synchronize in post.
I've not felt the need for PluralEyes yet, but I have lots of digital audio editing experience.

Quote:

But the thing I hear nobody about is that it must be horrible to review shots on location when the audio is separated from the video.
Not really..the camera audio is sufficient for location playback.

Quote:

But if the H2N could also be attached to the mic, that would be great.
The H2 doesn't accept low impedance balanced external mics. The 4 internals aren't bad..especially at this low price point.

Robin de Lange March 16th, 2010 04:57 AM

Of course I meant the H2.. and about attaching the H2 to the camera, not to the mic.

It seems odd to me to monitor sound other than the sound you're actually going to use.. but well, it seems there isn't really an other solution.

Thanks for the reply