DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   5D Firmware update for 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/473910-5d-firmware-update-7d.html)

Nathanael Iversen March 1st, 2010 09:37 PM

5D Firmware update for 7D

How nice would it be to get the manual audio and other goodness? We already have the frame rates on the 7D, but the rest of the update looks really nice! The histogram display if present while shooting sounds nice also. Particularly useful would be the ability to toggle it on and off while recording with the INFO button (like in playback mode). Surely with the extra horsepower in the chips in the 7D this could be done.

Paul Chiappini March 1st, 2010 10:44 PM

I just emailed Canon support requesting this. It never hurts to ask.

Michael Murie March 2nd, 2010 08:47 AM

Clearly it's time to start a campaign!: Notes On Video: Canon 7D Users unite!!!

Philip Hinkle March 2nd, 2010 09:14 AM

I followed the link and did my part by sending support an email. Will be interesting to see the response.

Chris Westerstrom March 2nd, 2010 09:44 AM

me too

Just emailed 'em

Nathanael Iversen March 2nd, 2010 11:15 AM

I emailed as well. It is a wonderful imagemaking device, which would be even better with this update.

Philip Hinkle March 2nd, 2010 01:24 PM

Got this response back from them.

Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We do not have any information on any up coming firmware updates for the 7D. I have submitted your suggestion in our customer voice so that it maybe reviewed by our engineers.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your 7D.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

I think we need to up the campaign pressure to get them working on it for the 7D.

Nathanael Iversen March 2nd, 2010 01:38 PM

It was customer input that led to the firmware for the 5D mkII, so I'm sure it can work here as well. All you folk reading and not chiming in, follow the link and let Canon know! It will help us all.

Eric Gersh March 3rd, 2010 11:39 PM

Emailed Canon and got a different response. . .

I emailed Canon the other day and got a slightly different response from some of the earlier emails. This one didn't provide the standard disclaimer. In fact it clearly states that they are working on it:

"At this time we no exact release date to when the new version of the
firmware is going to be released. It is being worked on and we will
roll this out as soon as possible. Thank you for writing to us with
your feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to share your
comments with us regarding this firmware for the EOS 7D."

So, that's progress from. . . "we cannot confirm. . ." or some such nonsense.

Jesse Haycraft March 3rd, 2010 11:48 PM

I dun gone did my part thar with the electronic mail thingy.

Burk Webb March 4th, 2010 12:21 AM

Done and done!

Randall Rodriguez March 4th, 2010 01:00 AM

Can someone write something up that we can all cut and paste? :P

Craig Campbell March 4th, 2010 08:08 AM

Done as well!

Nathanael Iversen March 4th, 2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Rodriguez (Post 1494640)
Can someone write something up that we can all cut and paste? :P

Try this:

First, allow me to thank you for creating these wonderful DSLRs that also shoot video. As you know, they are transforming our ideas of what is possible. The recent firmware update for the 5DmkII is an excellent example of Canon listening to us in the field. I am enjoying my 7D immensely, and appreciate the frame rates and other video optimizations that were included at launch.

Will the 7D also get firmware updates that include features like manual audio control, histograms, etc? I would be very interested in using these features in my work, and they would make a strong tool into a great tool. Please add these features as soon as possible.

Thank you,

<your name here>

Michael Murie March 4th, 2010 01:03 PM

I don't think everyone sending the same worded query makes sense; if they get 100 emails all with the exact same text it will be equated with a mass emailing, not actual users.