35mm adaptor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm adaptor?

first of all am really anxious to buy this camera.never bought one before so am starting with the T2i.what i have noticed is that nobody seem to be talking about using it with any 35mm adaptor.isnt it neccesary?could it be used just by attaching lenses and it will still still give you some reasonable results?and lastly what are the things you suggest one will require to buy to start shooting with the T2i.lenses,tripod,wide angle lenses,on camera monitors and e.t.c.thanks
Olabode Lawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What would be the point of using a 35mm adapter with this camera?

The whole reason why these DSLRs have become suddenly so popular is because you can attach lenses just like with a 35mm adapter.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Your DSLR is your 35mm adapter. Trying to attach a 35mm adapter to this would be like buying a nice car and then towing it around town in a tow truck.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

A 35mm adapter lets you use a 35mm lens that puts it's image on a ground glass that you can then capture with a camcorder. The ground glass becomes the sensor in the DOF equation which is a real mathematical equation. You loose light (things get darker) and you loose resolution with a 35mm adapter. The T2i for less than the cost of some 35mm adapters puts the image from a real 35mm lens straight on the sensor with nothing in between to loose light or resolution. So no you don't need it. The faster the lens (lower f stop number) the less depth of field wide open iris. The cheapest route is to buy a Nikon adapter which can be $20 so you can use old cheap but very good fast manual Nikon/Nikkor lenses.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sure we'll get a lot of weird topics but if people who have no clue about these things come here and get educated, thus allowing them to make better movies/videos/etc.., I think that's a wonderful thing...

As for the 35mm adapter, they're used on camcorders so you can attach dSLR lenses and get shallow DOF which you wouldn't get otherwise. A dSLR already does that (as you can see from all the videos shot with the 5D, 7D and the 550D/T2i) so an adapter would be absolutely pointless.

That's the whole beauty of the dSLR. A good camera + a good adapter can go up to $10,000. A dSLR does all of that for what, around 15% of that sum? Even less with the T2i.
Alex Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Tourist

So an answered my own question?

This has been aching me for awhile now. I have a Canon HFS 100 HD Camcorder, its nice and all but I really want DOF look on my videos. After discovering this new world of DSLR cameras, I can possibly just get a Rebel or 7D and have the same or better quality results, for almost the same cost it is to upgrade my camcorder.

Is that correct?? Is that why so many used 35mm adapters are on Ebay?? These DSLR cameras may the next big craze and eventually will replace the consumer camcorders??
Alex Phongphachone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you want the shallow DOF film look on a budget then yes dSLR is the solution. But if you don't want shallow DOF them a small sensor camcorder is the better choice. It's also the better choice for long take events. That is until Canon starts center cropping the sensor which it has not done yet and seamlessly joining clips on the fly for dSLR. Read this Canon Reveals Their Next Pro Video Cam at DVInfo.net
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Exactly, a camcorder is still a camcorder designed to shoot video whilst the new wave of dSLRs are basically just photo cameras adapted to film stuff.

But right now if you're a DOF junkie, there is seriously no reason to spend that much money on a 35 mm adapter, not to mention if you have no gear at all -- why pay a few grand for a pro camcorder AND get an adapter when a 7D (not to mention the T2i) is way cheaper? I presume these adapters will be extinct soon because the people they address are the same people who will buy dSLRs for video.

The thing to remember is that both the adapters and the dSLRs used to film are compromises made by film-makers and manufacturers alike to bring DOF into what is essentially a rather cheap setup. So you'll have hassles either way.

I'm just curious where they'll go from here. Will they start making camcorder/dSLR hybrids? What about a cooling system, if overheating is the main issues? Surely they have a lot of space for extra gadgets if they make a dSLR with the body of a camcorder :)

Let's thank our lucky stars we live in this day and age where so much stuff gets released and ironically, at smaller prices.
Alex Sava is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD