Anyone shoot a piece in front of a white backdrop/cyc with the 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone shoot a piece in front of a white backdrop/cyc with the 7D?

Or do you know of any videos online that did? I plan on shooting one in the near future and am unsure of the lighting situation and how to do it effectively.
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Contributor

Same as with any other camera. Light the background evenly and close to 100 IRE (or 2-3 stops hotter than the foreground, light the foreground independently however you want.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What type of lights would you use to evenly light the backdrop?

Also, would this be the same method as a photographer shooting on a white backdrop? Examples of how to set those shots up are plentiful on youtube/vimeo but harder to find for shooting video.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
What type of lights would you use to evenly light the backdrop?

Also, would this be the same method as a photographer shooting on a white backdrop? Examples of how to set those shots up are plentiful on youtube/vimeo but harder to find for shooting video.
There's a really good link to a tutorial on shooting and lighting limbo white bg's posted somewhere here. I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it. Maybe someone knows. I think it was originally on Vimeo.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

happen to be talking about this one?

Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Coming from a still photography background, I use white backgrounds for stills all the time. I have a room similar in dimension to the above video demonstration, so I keep my background one to one and a half stops brighter than my subject is light. If I go brighter to two stops I get too much bounced lighting back from the background onto the subject.

I also use free standing closet pocket doors to hide the lights onto the background to flag them from the subject and camera.

In the past I tried this with a Canon HV30 and never got it to work, now with the 7D it works great with the manual controls. I use 5500k cfl's as I also have large windows and these lights can match daylight.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #7
New Boot

The dynamic range of the 7D is very limited. Any surface two and a half stop over neutral grey wil burn out. Here is an example of how easy it can be done.

http://www.onarfilm.com/wp-content/u...H_IMG_0016.jpg
Onar Stangeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

So if my subject is at 8, my light should be two stops above...so 16 (or 2 and a half)
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #9
New Boot

If you use a spot meter (the lightmeter in your cam will do i believe) and measure the white background, your exposure should be two stops or more higher than the white background. If youre background reflects f16, your exposure should be 8 or 5.6 and a half.

If you do not have a seperat lightmeter (spot meter) make sure your camera is not set for "evaluating measurment".
Onar Stangeland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD