Sigma 30mm 1.4 - opinions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Sigma 30mm 1.4 - opinions

Hi guys

I am considering the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for both video and stills. Any users here? Just wondered what peoples experiences are for video (or stills). I realise at 1.4 it might be a touch soft and really shallow (hard to focus) but Im intersted in what its like at higher apertures like f8 since I dont want all the video to be super shallow.

cheers
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Great Lens

A friend has one, and I've used it on a 7D on a few occasions. It's a great lens for the price, sharp from f2.0 up to f16 from what I've seen.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Major Player

I like it a lot, it is my go to lens for low light work, check it out here.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Very snappy and bright. Are you using something like the Z-Finder for focus help?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes I use a Z finder.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys, good to know.

Love the viedo Khoi.
Sadly I dont think my budget will stretch to a Z-finder

Do you think I will have focussing problems with the camera screen at 1.4?
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Major Player

You will have problem using the lcd alone focusing on the fly shooting event like me at F1.4, there are other cheaper loop you might want to look at like the lcdvf, or this one on ebay I just saw
Loupe Master 3" LCD Hood Canon 5D Mark II Nikon D300s en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 11-feb-10 03:16:21 H.Esp)
but neither one of them has diopter adjustment. BTW the Rebel T2i has a sharper lcd than my 7D, it is even easier to focus with it if you have the loop.
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Khoi I'll check it out.

Out of interest - is the lack of IS on this lense an issue?

Cheers
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Not if you have steady hand, also when you have a loop and press the loop on your eyes, it help steady it a lot, but most of my shoot I use a DVstick or a shoulder rig should help, but hand held alone I wouldn't use any lens above 30mm for crop camera without IS, unless you want that micro jittery look.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I definitely agree with your last sentence Khoi. I tried using my Canon 50mm 1.8 handheld and it was a disaster. Everything was jittery, the lens' focus ring was a joke, and lots of rolling shutter jello-cam. Sold the 50mm with my T1i, bought a 17-55 2.8 IS USM, and haven't looked back since. The T2i/17-55 is a great combo. I use a Hoodman/HoodEYE loupe.

As far as the Sigma, I just can't bring myself to go with a third party lens. It must be good though..Philip Bloom recommends it.
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #11
New Boot

Khoi,

What do you think about the Canon 1.8 28mm? It seems to be the same price point as the Sigma 1.4 30mm -

Any remarks?
Ala Shiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Major Player

Nah it is 2/3 stop slower (big different if you doing low light work) and this lens has a lot of CA, and Sigma gives you 4 years warranthy isntead of 1 year, the Sigma is a better lens and better deal, the only reason you would go with the Canon is if you are planning to step up to full frame camera later on since the Sigma will not work on full frame camera.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

That Canon 28mm F1.8 lens gets (generally) very poor reviews on photographic sites. Typical review below - and within it a link to their (good) review of the Sigma 30mm F1.4. The only thing that worries me about the Sigma is whether or not you would get a good copy as their Quality Control is reknown for being very poor. The Canon 24mm F1.4 L is superb - and consequently has a very high price - typically about the same price as a 7D body so it's probably overkill for a T2i/550D!

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Lens Review
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #14
Major Player

Every Sigma lens I've owned for photography and video have been great. I loved my 30mm 1.4 while I owned it. I moved to full-frame glass and still ended up with some Sigma lenses and have to say they are doing well.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #15
Major Player

I've had a sigma 30mm 1.4 for ages, it's the lens i use most, usually always on the camera.

Great lens with a good focal length on a APS-C, i'm happy to use it at 1.4 too.

I've not used it for HD recording (not decided whether to get a 550 or 7D) the manual focus range is about 90 degrees, whereas the Canon 50mm f1.4 has about 180 degrees of travel. Perhaps this would make a difference in deciding?

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD