Best Bargain Lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Bargain Lens?

Hello all,

We're getting a T2i, and were only able to find the body available...We're going to be able to afford some nicer glass in a month or two, but want a starter lens for some initial shoots. Any recommendations for lenses on the lower end of the price scale? For instance, I was on KEH and saw lots of zooms in the $180-225 range. Ideally, it'd be a single zoom that would allow us some flexibility until we get higher end stuff. Here's one that was listed on KEH for $180:

Canon EOS - Zoom Lenses
24-85 F3.5-4.5 ULTRASONIC SILVER (67)
35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM
WIDE ANGLE LENS

Thanks for any help!

Arne
Mission Pictures
Arne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This one gets lotsa good reviews on Amazon and is $275 on KEH:

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Many of the posters on the Canon photography forums say the 18-55 kit lens is as good as you'll find under $300. For a noticeably better walk around zoom, you'll need to spend at least double that. I'm talking new prices here. The T2i's image quality really comes alive with a Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS..it's more expensive than the camera itself..but worth it to some.

For a starter lens, you'll have a hard time beating the $99 (or less used) Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II 'Nifty Fifty' for sharpness and low available light photography. For video, the Nifty needs support like a tripod, monopod, shoulder mount, or loupe to lessen the 'jitters'.
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I've had good results with 2 different copies of the Tamron 17-50 VC @ $650. More expensive than many of the other lens listed, but extremely sharp and you get IS (VC).
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Lots of choices in the under $300- category. Some of my lenses like the Sigma 30/1.4, 24-60/2.8, 20-40/2.8, Tokina 28-70/2.8 were all under $300- and some were new at the time.

I see Canon 17-85IS and 28-135IS on Ebay frequently under $300-.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Roger, have you seen an objective comparison of the Tamron 17-50 VC to the Canon 17-55 IS anywhere? Some of the reviews of the VC weren't very flattering. I was strongly considering one but the USM and resale value of the 17-55 won me over.
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Major Player

BTW, the EF35/2 is around $300- and the EF50/1.8 is a lot cheaper. They're not zooms but image quality is very good.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Chase View Post
Roger, have you seen an objective comparison of the Tamron 17-50 VC to the Canon 17-55 IS anywhere? Some of the reviews of the VC weren't very flattering. I was strongly considering one but the USM and resale value of the 17-55 won me over.
Stan, there is no doubt the Canon 17-55 is a great lens and as I stated in another string I probably would have chosen it if I made a living at this crazy sport called videography. I think either of these lenses can be a great choice. Which is the "best" is a much tougher decision and depends on a lot of user criteria. I haven't used them side by side, but would love the opportunity.

A while back I read a number of articles on both lenses but I'm not sure how many of them were objective. At the time I was researching, most articles put the Tamron (Canon mount) as optically equal and focus speed and quietness going to the Canon. The only real dings against the Canon were its lack of weather sealing and its price. I didn't like its small focus ring for manual focus and I also like the Tamron's direction of focus as it matches my much older Takumar primes I use for video. Most of the negative reviews of the Tamron 17-50 VC were directed at the Nikon mount and back focusing issues with the Nikon host. My personal cons for the Tamron is the focus ring is a little sticky when making precise manual adjustments and the VC is noisy on the camera's internal microphone. Optically I've found mine very sharp, colors good, and the autofocus precise as long as there is adequate light and some amount of texture on the subject. In general I'm very impressed with the Tamron lens, enough so to purchase the 2nd one.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; March 6th, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone! Sadly, EVS informed me that they hadn't updated their website yet and were sold out of the t2i, so am still looking! But this is very helpful for when we hunt one down...everyone seems sold out.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I plan on using the 18-55 off my old XSI...that the same kit lens for the t2i correct?
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Johnson View Post
Thanks everyone! Sadly, EVS informed me that they hadn't updated their website yet and were sold out of the t2i, so am still looking! But this is very helpful for when we hunt one down...everyone seems sold out.

I bought mine from Hong Kong digitarev.com. I'm in Australia ordered on Wednesday got the camera on Friday. My mistake is that I should of ordered a lense with the body so I could of started playing with it :P
Jason Xuereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Johnson View Post
This one gets lotsa good reviews on Amazon and is $275 on KEH:

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
My son has this one for his 40D and when zoomed out and extended the inner barrel has an incredible loose amount of sideways (and up and down) play. Close to 1/2 inch of "slop" when he showed it to me over Thanksgiving.

He took it back to the Austin camera shop where he bought it and the sales guy behind the counter showed him the new ones still in the box were the same. He's been getting annoying "soft" images and they tried to tell him the "slop" had no effect on IQ.

I would avoid this one like the plague. And that's a shame because Canon usually has excellent quality control in their lens line. Even the much "maligned" 18-55mm EF-S f3.5 to f5.6 IS "kit" lens is not a bad one, I'm on my 3rd Digital Rebel (T1i) with the most recent version of this one and I've not had a bad one yet.

This "kit" lens can be found on ebay for as low as $100 or sometimes less.

I've had an EF 17-40mm f4 L for a few weeks and an EF 70-200mm f4 L for a week now for my 7D so when I say I feel the 18-55mm "kit" lens is not bad I do have something to compare it with. Yes, it's not one of Canon's best but it does give the new owner a lens that is reasonably sharp with a very usable focal length range that can cover most "general" photography.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Kit Lens

The best bargain lens is perhaps the kit lens. It has IS and the image quality is OK for video. Play it until you think you need another lens to cover:

For example :

a) Low light situations (50mm 1.8)
b) Ultra wide angle for landscape (anything from 10mm to 24mm)
c) Telephoto for things far away (any zoom lens with IS)

Regards,

Kenneth
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD