A good substitue for the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A good substitue for the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8

My 7D arrived today, literally minutes ago, and while the battery charges, I just had to tell the people who would most appreciate this moment.

I was told that the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens was one of the best lenses to get for wedding and on the go shooting, especially for guys like me who are currently on a pretty tight budget. eBay has been selling quite a few of them, and I'm having a hard time getting one for less than $950.

Just wondering if anybody knows of a good lens that could substitute the Canon 17-55--you know, get great footage in that same zoom range (or close to it) for about the same price of less.

In the mean time, I'll be shooting practice stuff on a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS, my nifty 50 f/1.8, and my old kit lens from my Rebel XT (the cheapo 18-85mm f/who cares).

Thanks!
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi, lovely camera isn't it! I'd stick out for that Canon lens if you can (I have it and love it - it REALLY is the best walk around lens for the 7D)...but as you know it's pricey!....but just remember we pay in pounds over here similar numbers to what you guys pay in $. That's Value Added Taxes and fleecing for you! You guys get this stuff cheap as far as us Brits are concerned.

Typical review below (from an excellent and well regarded site).

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...ns-Review.aspx

Reading around on here and elsewhere, many recommend the Tamron equivalent for this zoom range for those on a tight budget. I believe you can get it with or without their version of Image Stabilisation - but I don't have any experience of those lenses to be able to help more. Several of the relavant Tamrons (and Sigma) lenses are covered by the site linked above - see the big long list of lens reviews right at the bottom of the Canon 17-55 F2.8 review page. Direct links to 17-50 versions below for convenience. Happy choosing!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Contributor

The Tamron 17-50 gets excellent reviews, and as noted, there's an IS version and a non-IS version. There's also the Tokina 16-50, which is what I use for my wide angle. All three of those are 2.8 all the way.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Major Player

I tried the Tamron lens and returned it for two reasons; it had a flimsy, loose focus ring and that focus ring spins to infinity the opposite direction (clockwise) as all Canon and Fujinon (counter clockwise) focusing lenses. Since I've got a few decades spinning the focus in one direction intuitively, it was a problem - but maybe not if you are used to Nikon/Tamron focus direction.

The Canon 17-55 is a truly awesome lens, I wouldn't trade it for any other at this point. It is well worth the premium price because, after all is said and done, cameras come and go but you will always keep a good piece of glass.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Major Player

I had the Tamron equivalent lens for a while, I think it's a fine still lens, probably optically equivalent to the Canon. However, for manual focus which is essential in video mode, the Canon wins hands down. It has to do with the Tamron's focus ring, way too short a travel, and not that smooth.

I returned the Tamron, got the Canon, love it. My main lens now, versatile, great look, good focus control. For the 7D it's one of the best choices, though I agree it's expensive.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Contributor

Mine is smooth but as you say, the throw is too short. But I'm living with it for now ( I have the 28-75 which I got for interviews), and the lens is sharp. The 16-50 Tokina is more solid and has a better focus ring but it also doesn't have much of a throw. I like my old Nikkors better. I needed a decent wide angle that wasn't too costly, and the Tokina is great for when I need to be that wide.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Sigma is about to release similar lens with OS, you might want to wait and see if it is good and cheaper, I also have the Canon 17-55 IS 2.8 and like.
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The Tamrom 17-50 is quite close to the Canon 17-55 optically, but as others have stated, it lacks some of the feel and functionality.

I tried a VC version Tamron out at a local camera store on my T1i body when I had it. I didn't get anymore keepers as far as focus than I did with the kit lens. Shot some video..the AF and VC made a lot of noise that was picked up by the internal mic. Put the 17-55 on and all the shots I took were in sharp focus and there was very little noise during video.

If you shop carefully, you can get a refurb 17-55 in like new condition from Adorama for $800 with a 1yr warranty, which is only $150 more than the Tamron VC. Considering the high resale value of the 17-55, it's a no brainer.
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I've been using the Tamron intensively, and I can tell you it is my favourite 7D lens so far! Great image quality, very light, and it has accurate focusing. I'd definetly recommend you this one.

Mauricio
Mauricio DelaOrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Major Player

I have two of the Tamron 17-50 VC's and like them. Focus ring is a little sticky and the VC is noisy on the camera's internal mic. Tack sharp. I'd like to spend some time with the Canon 17-55 to see how it compares, but the Tamron is a good lens. Unlike some of the other posts, I like the focus direction as it matches my older Takumar lenses.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Major Player

We tried out the Tamron VC 17-50 lens at the weekend at Westminster Chapel and found it an excellent lens although as mentioned the focus ring can get a little sticky but nothing you cannot work around. Here is our test clip. This was shot all handheld with the VC on!

Cheers.
John De Rienzo

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I bought the Canon

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. Seems that the Canon is the longer term solution for good quality footage. Or at least that's why I ended up buying it. Scored a mint lens on eBay for about $850. It took losing out on 7 auctions before nabbing it, but it'll be worth it.

Speaking of, my wife just called and said that it just arrived in the mail today, so I'm outta here! It's felt a lot like Christmas these past few days...with my 7D and other gear coming in the mail. Now I can stop using my old Rebel 18-55mm kit lens for test shots!! (I hate that lens, let me tell you...)
Michael Winget is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD