How to access Histogram for video shooting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Trustee

How to access Histogram for video shooting

I know that you have access to the 550ds histogram while shooting photos and reviewing video footage.

but I was wondering if it's possible to bring up the histogram while filming video or setting your exposure in standby.

The reason for this is that I want to sett he exposure for a white limbo background shoot, and want the exposure set to be around 100 ire. My background is evenly lit, but I want to make sure that my exposure is set properly so I blow out the background properly.

Normally for video cameras, I set my exposure first so my background is full zebras, the place my talent in the shot and move my key source light on my subject to expose (usually slightly under expose) properly.

Any idea on how to do this?
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I've never filmed with a DSLR, but I guess you know your aperture, ISO and exposure. (?) In that case you can measure your light. (But maybe you only got the DSLR to film and you never really photograph with a lightmeter... I that case I don't know).

On my 450D you can access the histogram when reviewing shots with the DISP button above the LCD (on the left side). If it's possible to see the histogram while shooting, it would be a logical choice to use the same button as when you review.
But if it's only possible to use the histogram while reviewing footage: shoot a few seconds and check the histogram.

I'm not sure this anwser is very helpfull.... good luck!
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I believe the histogram is only available on review. In my experience all DSLRs over expose, in video mode, to a fair degree, it realy is a matter of getting to know the characteristics of any given lens that you may be using, and expose appropriately.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Trustee

Well can access the histogram while in photo mode while in Live View.
So I could set my exposure this way first, then transpose the settings to the video end.

I have used a light meter in the past, years ago, so I do know how to set ISO, and aperture.
What I don't know is the approximate value to use the light meter to make sure that my background is around 100 IRE for white limbo use.

This is why I was curious as to using the histogram and Live View while in video mode.
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What I found in my limited experience (I only received the camera over the weekend) using the kit lens without any ND filters to help to control the light, was that the exposure compensation bar at the bottom of the lcd screen was really useful. I would fix shutter speed at 1/50 (for PAL), set the aperture I wanted (say as wide as possible at f3.5) and then adjust the ISO. The exposure compensation bar seems to move. If it’s to the left of centre the image was underexposed, to the right of centre overexposed. I therefore juggled the aperture and ISO so that the bar was a close to central (zero) as possible. I don’t know whether this is how it’s supposed to work but by doing this and examining the footage later, the exposure seemed good. The exposure compensation bar was therefore a pretty decent guide.
Mark Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Trustee

Mark I agree, but don;t know how accurate the built in light meter is.
This is where a Histogram or Zebras come in handy, as they let you accurately know your highest (100 IRE) accurate exposure for video. Now I can try some tests using the in camera meter and a light meter to get even blown out white limbo backgrounds.

Of course I am going to have to use a light meter to check the levels on my subject as well, and move my light source accordingly to get proper exposure once my initial white limbo exposure is set.

One of the best ways that I have found so far, is to set the white background and lighting while in photo mode. take those exposure levels and transpose them to the video side. But I have found that while in video mode, the camera slightly differs in the exposure, up a stop or so. Gotta run some more tests to iron this method out though.
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark for the great tip!

At 1920x1080 24p I find 1/50 the most ideal numbers to prevent "scan lines", what are youre findings?
Julian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Major Player

I think the 5D Mk II has this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
I know that you have access to the 550ds histogram while shooting photos and reviewing video footage.

but I was wondering if it's possible to bring up the histogram while filming video or setting your exposure in standby.

The reason for this is that I want to sett he exposure for a white limbo background shoot, and want the exposure set to be around 100 ire. My background is evenly lit, but I want to make sure that my exposure is set properly so I blow out the background properly.

Normally for video cameras, I set my exposure first so my background is full zebras, the place my talent in the shot and move my key source light on my subject to expose (usually slightly under expose) properly.

Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:39 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post

Hi Michael. I find it very easy to just take a still shot while in video mode, and check the histogram from that. If I need to adjust the exposure, I then take another still shot to check the histogram again. When it looks ok, I can start the video recording without having to adjust anything at all.

Of course this doesn't help if you are trying to adjust exposure during the course of the shot.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD