microphone for 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1
New Boot

microphone for 7D

Hello all,

I'm interested in a external microphone for outdoor/nature work. I would be in a blind with the microphone somewhere outside of the blind. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard
Richard Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The Rode VideoMic is used by many 7D users and is a great deal for the price.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Contributor

It seems to me for something like that you'd want a long shotgun, like an Audiotechnica. They have some cheap ones, like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

There are other better long shotguns out there, but this one is acceptable and inexpensive.

You'll also want something like a Zoom H4N recorder, since you can't control the auto gain going into the camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Richard,

There are several long threads in the 7D section discussing microphones already. Typical one linked out of about a dozen I found in seconds - It's very easy to find all the info with a quick search of the relevant forum section(s).

One of the most valuable tools in your video kit is the search button on DVinfo - and I really mean that!!!!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...anon-7d-2.html

I personally use a Rode Videomic or Stereo Videomic (if I have to do run-n-gun) - both are excellent for what they are. The plastic Videomic overhangs the back of the 7D a little, because of it's design, whilst the Stereo Videomic does not but is pretty heavy, being all metal. I've had good results from both even with Canon IS lenses like the 17-55 F2.8 (as the IS is very quiet on that lens). But it's always best to use an alternative audio capture device - otherwise known as double system sound - and postion your mics where they should be, up close. For this I use various mics plugged into a Fostex FR2-LE, or my Zoom H2 or even my Sony EX3 ;-)
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #5
New Boot

microphone

I did search but didn't find that info. But I want to thank everyone for chiming in, that gives me something to research and is definitely in my price range! Thank you for your quick responses.

Richard
Richard Day is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD