Need help with a monitor solution asap at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Need help with a monitor solution asap

I ordered a SmallHD DP1 monitor a few weeks back and just found out that it is backordered until early April, which is a big ol bummer for me because I'm leaving on a trip on the 18th of March to shoot some video with the 7d abroad, and as it is a semi-professional gig and not just me messing around with the camera, I could really use a monitor. I have a shoulder mounted rig, but since it is offset from my eye I can't use a Z-finder with it and the lcd would be too far away to see, so without a monitor I couldn't use the shoulder mount rig with the 7d and I'd just have to shoot handheld. It's not that big of a deal, it's just I'd like to make use of the shoulder mounted option.

SmallHD offered me a refund but I'd still like to wait for the DP1 as its the best monitor ive seen for the money, but that leaves me with a predicament. Do I take the refund and order a similarly priced/equipped but a little lower res Manhattan monitor (they also have a newer more expensive 720p one):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676263-REG/Manhattan_LCD__Manhattan_LCD_8_9_Monitor.html
...or would it be possible to rig up a cheap monitor like the following one with some adapters, even though it doesn't seem to have the right AV connectors for use on the 7d:

7" LCD Monitor Kit [Handy35 Promo]

The only reason is I can get a deal on that second monitor for $130, and if I could connect it and it would allow me to simply see the frame and adjust focus, it would be a huge advantage. My only worry is that it would be such a cheap monitor that it would be unusable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Doug Cushnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Major Player

What about the Marshall V-LCD70XP-HDMI?
Marshall Electronics - V-LCD70XP-HDMI

I haven't used it myself and it's not 720 like the DP1 but what it does have is a built in peaking and false color filter, that has to be worth more than 720? This monitor shows you when you are overexposed and in-focus.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Yeah, I've checked that marshall monitor out and I like the features, I would definitely go for a marshall if i werent going to get the dp1-- its just id be shelling out a few hundred more for a good battery setup, which is where the dp1 had a nice advantage. i might end up doing that though, just to get a good monitor for now.

anyone have any opinions on the super cheap one?
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I wouldn't get a monitor that doesn't allow for HDMI input. I personally just got a Lilliput 669 monitor from Coollcd.com and it is more than adequate for focusing and looks pretty decent too. My clients were impressed with it. For mounting to your shoulder mount, get the Redrock Micro microMount. For battery power, I have an Ikan adapter that allows me to use Sony L series batteries on it. I have found that it is better to mount the battery adapter and battery behind the shoulder on my rig rather than on the LCD panel, as it helps with weight distribution. Battery life is great with the Sony L series (970) and I had no problems, other than that I wish Ikan stuff was built better. The status indicator light on the Ikan adapter already died, the 3rd day it was on the job. The adapter still works though.

Try to find a .5m long mini HDMI to HDMI cable, as my 2m long one had to be wrapped around my rails multiple times to stay out of the way.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Is rental an option? I know some shops are starting to rent the dp1.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #6
New Boot

Not in Denver CO
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Coston View Post
I wouldn't get a monitor that doesn't allow for HDMI input. I personally just got a Lilliput 669 monitor from Coollcd.com and it is more than adequate for focusing and looks pretty decent too. .
I was going to buy this one but have read reviews saying it delivers a slightly squished image. Dealbreaker if true. Have you experienced a squished distorted image?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Good cheap solution

No squished image on my 669. I use it with the HDMI out of the 7D, and so far, no problems. Color, brightness, and image quality are NOT great, but I use it mainly for framing and focus. But for $199 what can you expect?

Carlo Zanella

The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #9
New Boot

Canon DSLR Video Monitor for FREE Using your Laptop

As A temporary fix, using your laptop in conjunction with the EOS canon software that came with your camera, benefits are that you get to keep the on camera live view and have a monitor. I think there is a slight delay in the live feed , but I assume this is due to the hardware specs of the laptop, Ie faster laptop , less time lag, It seems this is both for MAC and PC.
here is a Youtube link: YouTube - NextWaveG's Channel

hope that is some help

simon reilly
simon reilly
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Simon, the time lag is a feature of the camera, not the laptop - sadly.
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Coston View Post
For battery power, I have an Ikan adapter that allows me to use Sony L series batteries on it.
I find it's very hard to eject battery on an ikan adapter. I use the sony L series batteries adapter from LCD4video now, cheaper, and quality is good too.
Chih-Kuang Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Trustee

Doug, that 7" Handy35 monitor seems to be very low-res at 240x480 native, and no HDMI input.

For $200 you can get good quality 800x480 619AH monitor with HDMI. I use it with Canon 7D and SI-2K Mini, and it's very good, also lightweight.

Details here.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella View Post
No squished image on my 669. I use it with the HDMI out of the 7D, and so far, no problems. Color, brightness, and image quality are NOT great, but I use it mainly for framing and focus. But for $199 what can you expect?

Carlo Zanella

The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo, I want to get a Lilliput but don't want to mount it via the hot shoe... How do you mount yours?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD