DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   T2I - Is Editing without recompression/Re-rendering Possible with t2i files in vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/474388-t2i-editing-without-recompression-re-rendering-possible-t2i-files-vegas.html)

Dylan Tobias March 8th, 2010 05:15 PM

T2I - Is Editing without recompression/Re-rendering Possible with t2i files in vegas?

Hello, I have a camera that outputs HD mpg files cbr at 25,000 (jvc hd7), which if I just import the files into vegas and do cuts and then render back to the cbr 25,000 hd mpg it does not need to be recompressed in sony vegas and the rendering time is very very short which is very very good for saving time.

I downloaded a test .mov file outputted from a t2i but I can't figure out a way to do cuts only and then re-render in vegas without re compression. I won't buy a t2i if I need to do re compression on basic cuts only as I believe re-compressing in HD takes way too long and it is not worth it for me for the time at this stage in computer speed, so I only want to deal with a camera that can record in a type of file that can be edited and rendered again without re compression for cuts only. (Of course I am not including fades and color correction, etc, just basic cuts).

If you know what settings to use in vegas that I can do cuts of a test t2i test .mov file and then render it back and have vegas give me the black screen saying "no re compression required" and then quickly finish I would appreciate knowing what settings I should use as I would like to get the t2i, but not if it is unable to do what I need.

Thank you.
Dylan

Brian Luce March 13th, 2010 12:56 AM

I believe the Rebel uses a codec similar to the 5d and 7d. Native MOV don't work well with Vegas. As far as I know, everyone transcodes. Either to Cineform ($99) or Avid DnX (free) plus mpeg streamclip.

You may find yourself longing for the days of m2t timelines.

Colin Rowe March 13th, 2010 01:14 AM

The Rebel uses exactly the same codec as the 7d and 5d mk2. Theres no problem with converting the files, you will have to look very, very closely for any great difference in picture quality, and it will make editing so much easier

Dylan Tobias March 15th, 2010 10:09 AM

Hello, thank you both for your responses, it is not a quality issue I am referring to, my issue is only related to the speed (time it takes me) to render to final files for blueray disc or HD files of similar quality to originals for future blueray burning.

Example: I just finished editing something I shot on my HD7 that had something like 20+ hours of footage and I took it down to 8 or so, and the only way I could get through doing that within a certain reasonable time frame was because the format of my hd7 does not need to be re-compressed when rendering out the edited clips for just cuts, it is actually way faster then real time when using this format for me in Vegas. Editing and re-compression Rendering to other formats would take days even on my quad core.

About cineform, I am thinking if I am dealing with like 20+ hours of footage it would just not edit out to the final files anywhere near as fast as the cbr (I think it is m2t) hd7 HD files that I want to match or get a similar time to edit and final render out with.

I guess I will have to research more on the speed difference with cineform and if there are any other dslrs that have a better format for very short speed editing/rendering. I don't really like the video quality of the panasonic or pentax dslrs so maybe I will have to wait for something coming out later if I can't find a very fast editing solution I can work with from the t2i.

Thanks.

Perrone Ford March 15th, 2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Tobias (Post 1496779)
so I only want to deal with a camera that can record in a type of file that can be edited and rendered again without re compression for cuts only. (Of course I am not including fades and color correction, etc, just basic cuts).

Ok, buy Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere.

Buy a camera that shoot DV, HDV, XDCam, or XDCamEX.

Done.