DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/474408-best-matte-box-shoulder-support-combo-7d.html)

Corey Benoit March 8th, 2010 09:48 PM

Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?

i was just trying to figure out what the best shoulder mount/matte box combo that matches up with each other is the best for the 7d, and in my price range...

my max budget for the box and shoulder mount is $500

thanks

Jon Braeley March 9th, 2010 07:19 AM

A Matte box is hardly a necessity if you are on a budget - it would swallow the entire amount anyway. If you are worried about flaring you can get a large rubber lens-hood on ebay for $10.00. Does the same job except for carrying filters - again just buy screw on filters and a step-dwon ring to match all lens sizes - you can get away with 2 ND's.

Spend the money on your shoulder mount - for a budget like yours I would go with one opf the indie style supports - eg, IndiSYSTEM - Studio 4 Productions - The indiRAILSpro DSLR and then add a follow focus.

Cody Dulock March 9th, 2010 10:00 AM

I recommend getting something that uses 15mm rods for everything. I find myself putting my hand grips in unusual locations for certain things or mounting stuff on the side. I use mostly redrock micro stuff, which may be out of your budget, but it's fully modular, compatible with just about any camera, and super durable! Not to mention they design things very well. If I ever have an issue they address immediately too, so that's nice.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan on shooting and why do you think you need a shoulder mount?

Carlo Zanella March 12th, 2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Benoit (Post 1496884)
i was just trying to figure out what the best shoulder mount/matte box combo that matches up with each other is the best for the 7d, and in my price range...

my max budget for the box and shoulder mount is $500

thanks

If you are still looking for a shoulder mount solution, I am selling a dvrigPRO from DVTECH for only $250 shipped to you. I paid $600, don't need it anymore. It is very adjustable, confortable on your shoulder, and it also has a waist belt with a rod that take the weight of your arms, for prolonged use. That would live you with some spare change to get a matte box (or filters - suggested). If you are intetested, I can send you some picts.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Corey Benoit March 12th, 2010 08:19 PM

send me some pics please very interested...does it come with follow focus?

Bryan McCullough March 12th, 2010 08:52 PM

FWIW, I've got a DVRig Pro and I love it. I hadn't used it in about 2 years but pulled it out when I got my T2i and it works great for it.

Carlo Zanella March 13th, 2010 12:03 AM

DVRIG PRO pictures

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Benoit (Post 1498930)
send me some pics please very interested...does it come with follow focus?

Here are some pictures. No follow focus.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Corey Benoit March 13th, 2010 12:30 AM

when the camera is mounted on this, can it slide towards the handles and back towards the person?

Corey Benoit March 13th, 2010 05:23 AM

follow focus on this shoulder mount would be impossible as most if not all follow focus setups are 15/17/19 mm rod supported....

am i right?

Carlo Zanella March 13th, 2010 09:35 AM

Yes, the camera can slide back and forth quite a bit. You can use a FF system, I use my 7D with ff, rails, and matte box. I just insert the quickrelease plate of the camera system into the quickrelease of the dvrigPRO.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Carlo Zanella March 13th, 2010 10:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Benoit (Post 1499058)
follow focus on this shoulder mount would be impossible as most if not all follow focus setups are 15/17/19 mm rod supported....

am i right?

YES, you can use ff and rails. An it works very well: this rig puts the 3" screen very visible in front of you. Look at the pictures.

Corey Benoit March 13th, 2010 04:11 PM

would you include the follow focus? if not which brand is that? and do most follow focus setups come with rails and a plate? also what brand mattebox is that?

that looks cool, a very nice setup...i will take that shoulder mount from you...perfect working order?

location?

Mauricio DelaOrta March 13th, 2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella (Post 1499113)
YES, you can use ff and rails. An it works very well: this rig puts the 3" screen very visible in front of you. Look at the pictures.

Wow, that's a great rig Carlo. Where did you get the rails from?

Mauricio

Carlo Zanella March 14th, 2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Benoit (Post 1499235)
would you include the follow focus? if not which brand is that? and do most follow focus setups come with rails and a plate? also what brand mattebox is that?

that looks cool, a very nice setup...i will take that shoulder mount from you...perfect working order?

location?

Sorry Corey,
I just saw your reply today. Somebody already emailed me and intiated the PayPal transaction to purchase the DVrigPRO. In case it doesn't finalize, I will let you know.

The carbon fiber rails, ff, and C mount grip are all from www.indifocus.com. They make very nice and affordable stuff. The rig feels very good in your hands as well as on tripod, slider, and shoulder.

The matte is a Chrosziel with aftermarket side flaps.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Corey Benoit March 14th, 2010 06:07 PM

will this lense work with the 7d?

Canon | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens | 2042B002