Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?

i was just trying to figure out what the best shoulder mount/matte box combo that matches up with each other is the best for the 7d, and in my price range...

my max budget for the box and shoulder mount is $500

thanks
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #2
Major Player

A Matte box is hardly a necessity if you are on a budget - it would swallow the entire amount anyway. If you are worried about flaring you can get a large rubber lens-hood on ebay for $10.00. Does the same job except for carrying filters - again just buy screw on filters and a step-dwon ring to match all lens sizes - you can get away with 2 ND's.

Spend the money on your shoulder mount - for a budget like yours I would go with one opf the indie style supports - eg, IndiSYSTEM - Studio 4 Productions - The indiRAILSpro DSLR and then add a follow focus.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

I recommend getting something that uses 15mm rods for everything. I find myself putting my hand grips in unusual locations for certain things or mounting stuff on the side. I use mostly redrock micro stuff, which may be out of your budget, but it's fully modular, compatible with just about any camera, and super durable! Not to mention they design things very well. If I ever have an issue they address immediately too, so that's nice.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan on shooting and why do you think you need a shoulder mount?
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Benoit View Post
i was just trying to figure out what the best shoulder mount/matte box combo that matches up with each other is the best for the 7d, and in my price range...

my max budget for the box and shoulder mount is $500

thanks
If you are still looking for a shoulder mount solution, I am selling a dvrigPRO from DVTECH for only $250 shipped to you. I paid $600, don't need it anymore. It is very adjustable, confortable on your shoulder, and it also has a waist belt with a rod that take the weight of your arms, for prolonged use. That would live you with some spare change to get a matte box (or filters - suggested). If you are intetested, I can send you some picts.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Major Player

send me some pics please very interested...does it come with follow focus?
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Major Player

FWIW, I've got a DVRig Pro and I love it. I hadn't used it in about 2 years but pulled it out when I got my T2i and it works great for it.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Major Player

DVRIG PRO pictures

Quote:
send me some pics please very interested...does it come with follow focus?
Here are some pictures. No follow focus.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Attached Thumbnails
Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?-pict1.jpg   Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?-pict2.jpg  

Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?-pict3.jpg   Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?-pict4.jpg  

Old March 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #8
Major Player

when the camera is mounted on this, can it slide towards the handles and back towards the person?
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #9
Major Player

follow focus on this shoulder mount would be impossible as most if not all follow focus setups are 15/17/19 mm rod supported....

am i right?
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes, the camera can slide back and forth quite a bit. You can use a FF system, I use my 7D with ff, rails, and matte box. I just insert the quickrelease plate of the camera system into the quickrelease of the dvrigPRO.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
follow focus on this shoulder mount would be impossible as most if not all follow focus setups are 15/17/19 mm rod supported....

am i right?
YES, you can use ff and rails. An it works very well: this rig puts the 3" screen very visible in front of you. Look at the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?-dvrighpro1.jpg   Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?-dvrighpro2.jpg  

Best Matte Box + Shoulder Support Combo For 7D?-dvrighpro3.jpg  
Old March 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #12
Major Player

would you include the follow focus? if not which brand is that? and do most follow focus setups come with rails and a plate? also what brand mattebox is that?

that looks cool, a very nice setup...i will take that shoulder mount from you...perfect working order?

location?
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella View Post
YES, you can use ff and rails. An it works very well: this rig puts the 3" screen very visible in front of you. Look at the pictures.
Wow, that's a great rig Carlo. Where did you get the rails from?

Mauricio
Mauricio DelaOrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
would you include the follow focus? if not which brand is that? and do most follow focus setups come with rails and a plate? also what brand mattebox is that?

that looks cool, a very nice setup...i will take that shoulder mount from you...perfect working order?

location?
Sorry Corey,
I just saw your reply today. Somebody already emailed me and intiated the PayPal transaction to purchase the DVrigPRO. In case it doesn't finalize, I will let you know.

The carbon fiber rails, ff, and C mount grip are all from www.indifocus.com. They make very nice and affordable stuff. The rig feels very good in your hands as well as on tripod, slider, and shoulder.

The matte is a Chrosziel with aftermarket side flaps.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Major Player

will this lense work with the 7d?

Canon | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens | 2042B002
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD