DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   OS (Optical Image Stabiliser) For 550D / T2i Handheld (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/474544-os-optical-image-stabiliser-550d-t2i-handheld.html)

Janssen Herr March 10th, 2010 06:26 PM

OS (Optical Image Stabiliser) For 550D / T2i Handheld

I have a question:

Is the OS (Optical Image Stabiliser) effective on a the 550D - in relation to shooting video? Does a Lens with OS work as well as an OS in a HD Camcorder (XH-A1, EX1.. etc...)

I have a XH-A1 with Letus, so obviously my OS is off on the camcorder.

BUT when i shoot without adaptor and I am shooting hand held I always use OS.

My experience is with non-OS Primes.

My main question is does the OS on a Canon, Sigma, Tamron, lens work as well as a HD Camcorder?

Does OS on a DSLR lens work? Do many of you use it while handheld? Does it create more artefacts (due to CMOS/line skipping) or is it a necessity in handheld?

Cheers for help,
Janssen Herr

Sam Kanter March 19th, 2010 11:30 PM

Yes, OS works fine for video with T2i/550D.

I use a Sigma 18-200 OS with the T2i. Here's a totally handheld video I shot using the 18-200 OS:

Christofer Thelin March 20th, 2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janssen Herr (Post 1497817)
I have a question:

Is the OS (Optical Image Stabiliser) effective on a the 550D - in relation to shooting video? Does a Lens with OS work as well as an OS in a HD Camcorder (XH-A1, EX1.. etc...)

I have a XH-A1 with Letus, so obviously my OS is off on the camcorder.

BUT when i shoot without adaptor and I am shooting hand held I always use OS.

My experience is with non-OS Primes.

My main question is does the OS on a Canon, Sigma, Tamron, lens work as well as a HD Camcorder?

Does OS on a DSLR lens work? Do many of you use it while handheld? Does it create more artefacts (due to CMOS/line skipping) or is it a necessity in handheld?

Cheers for help,
Janssen Herr

I would say..nooooo! Itīs lightyears between my 550D and my EX1 when it comes to handeling shaky situations..

Colin Rowe March 20th, 2010 03:31 PM

Absolutely correct.

Sam Kanter March 21st, 2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christofer Thelin (Post 1502657)
I would say..nooooo! Itīs lightyears between my 550D and my EX1 when it comes to handeling shaky situations..

Not as good as some camcorders, but certainly better than no OS/IS at all.

Bryan McCullough March 21st, 2010 05:54 PM

So far what I've seen is that IS can really help out when using a rig of some kind. It can make the footage look pretty close to traditional shoulder mounted footage.

But it doesn't seem to work well enough to make handheld footage useable (unless jittery is the goal). I'd surely purchase lenses with IS when able, but in my opinion IS doesn't in any way remove the need for a rig to get decent off tripod footage.