DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   IS Lens Stabilization Tests (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/474545-lens-stabilization-tests.html)

Stan Chase March 10th, 2010 06:50 PM

IS Lens Stabilization Tests

Shot with 7D (not me) but quite applicable to the T2i :

Stan Chase March 11th, 2010 04:00 PM

Brett Sherman March 12th, 2010 11:04 AM

Hopefully these clips prove to people that IS if your friend not your enemy. I won't buy a lens without IS (except for primes that don't typically have them). What would be really useful would be an audio test of IS to see if it bleeds into the on camera audio. My stock 17-55 lens doesn't make a peep. But it's hard to know when buying a new lens how much noise it makes.

David Chilson March 12th, 2010 11:34 AM

I think what these clips really prove is that you shouldn't be shooting unsuported, IS or not. Even the least "shaky" of the clips have movement that would be very distracting for more than a second or two. The form factor of DSLR's don't make things any easier, use a tripod, monopod etc and leave the unsuported shooting to shoulder cams.

Brett Sherman March 13th, 2010 04:26 PM

Shooting with a tripod is not always possible with some types of shooting. What these tests show me is that IS improves the shot more than the Rapidfire or Z-finder. Adding in secondary stabilization like Smoothcam or Lock and Load, you'd get very usable footage. Of course I use an EX1 so I'm used to not shooting on the shoulder (I do have a shoulder mount rig when I need it). Like anything, the more you do it the better you get at it. My footage is plenty stable without a big honkin' shoulder mount camera. And I'm not ashamed to admit I love my EX1's Image Stabilization.

David Chilson March 13th, 2010 10:27 PM

Brett,

Glad you like your EX-1 and it's stabilization but how does that translate to T2i? Look at the videos above and in the T2i sample videos of this forum and you can easily tell which are hand held and those that are not.
Tripods for this type of camera are light and small and the easiest way to increase one's "keeper" footage ten-fold is to utilize one. If you can walk there you can take a tripod and if you need run and gun footage use a different camera.

Matt Davis March 14th, 2010 05:42 AM

Or a monopod over a Rapid Fire. If you're shooting parties or in crowded spaces, tripods can be downright unsafe. I think I'll get a monopod before I get a Rapid Fire.

Stan Chase March 15th, 2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Daviss (Post 1499400)
If you're shooting parties or in crowded spaces, tripods can be downright unsafe. I think I'll get a monopod before I get a Rapid Fire.

Here's something that combines elements of both..expensive though:

FLUID VIDEO ALU MONOPOD WHEAD

Tom Hardwick March 15th, 2010 01:45 AM

I must say how disappointing I found the IS correction to be in your tests. No criticism of your hand-holding, but more of the technology that doesn't seem to sine-wave-smooth the footage at all - all it does is reduce the peaks and troughs somewhat. The jitterness and human pulse is still there.

For a staggering demo of effective IS, have a play with the Sony NX5. Turn on its OIS and EIS and prepare to be amazed at the power and effectiveness of proper, silent IS in operation.

Admittedly, switching in the EIS loses you some resolution, but there will be times when you'll happily accept this.

tom.

Stan Chase March 15th, 2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1499725)
I must say how disappointing I found the IS correction to be in your tests. No criticism of your hand-holding, but more of the technology that doesn't seem to sine-wave-smooth the footage at all - all it does is reduce the peaks and troughs somewhat. The jitterness and human pulse is still there.

Thanks for your thoughts Tom, but those weren't my tests. I should've given Christopher Francis credit in the first post. Personally, I find that IS benefits my shooting style along with better results than shown here. I'll take what IS gives me over not having any at all every time.

J. Chris Moore March 15th, 2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Chase (Post 1499747)
Thanks for your thoughts Tom, but those weren't my tests. I should've given Christopher Francis credit in the first post. Personally, I find that IS benefits my shooting style along with better results than shown here. I'll take what IS gives me over not having any at all every time.

agreed! x2