Manfrotto 561bhdv Question - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 217
Does anybody know what the difference between a 561B and 561BHDV is? Seems like the 561BHDV is the newer version but specwise there doesnt seem to be much difference

(found a new 561B for around half the price)
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #32
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney View Post
Does anybody know what the difference between a 561B and 561BHDV is? Seems like the 561BHDV is the newer version but specwise there doesnt seem to be much difference

(found a new 561B for around half the price)
I have both and they are the same monopod. The side knob to control tilt-friction looks different but functions the same as well. The head, feet and post feel the same to me and I use them every weekend.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 217
perfect thanks!
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #34
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 643
The heads are different. The 561bhdv looks like a 701hdv minus the fluid panning while the 561b looks like small 501 with a 577 adapter on the top. Like Raymond mentioned, their locking mechanisms are different. The 561bhdv has a one like a 501/503 type while the 561b has one like the 577 adapter.

Everything from the below the headis the same.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #35
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 41
Pardon my ignorance, but could someone tell me what the benefit of the feet are? Is it just to be able to pan?
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #36
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl.
Posts: 1,842
The feet help stabilize it and makes it almost as sturdy as a tripod, but much easier to move. Add a fluyid head like a 501 and you've also got tilt and smoother panning.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #37
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 90
Yep. Without the feet, the monopod will slip like crazy at the worst possible moments. The difference is night and day.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #38
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 41
Thanks guys!
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:52 AM   #39
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 46
Worth it without the 501?

If I can only afford the 561BHDV and not the 501 (or some other head), is it still worth it for shooting a wedding? We'll have two low-to-medium grade Manfrotto tripods and a Merlin for some eye-candy, but for my walkaround workhorse, will the 561BHDV (with a 7D mounted) suffice?

I've also considered renting a should-mount, but this thread and some other articles have convinced me this monopod is the way to go.
David Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:55 AM   #40
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 46
Z-Finder necessary?

Also, 1 more question. It'll be an outdoor wedding in mid-afternoon (albeit early fall). I've been looking for an excuse to rent a Z-Finder. Would the 561BHDV + Z-Finder be a totally useless/awkward combo?
David Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:03 PM   #41
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lavender View Post
Also, 1 more question. It'll be an outdoor wedding in mid-afternoon (albeit early fall). I've been looking for an excuse to rent a Z-Finder. Would the 561BHDV + Z-Finder be a totally useless/awkward combo?
You don't need a 501 head. We've used the 561bhdv as-is and it works fine. Just spray some wd-40 on the ball base and it pans and tilts like butter :)

The z-finder is an invaluable tool and takes out alot of guessing when it comes to exposing and color in strong daylight. It's worth every penny.

The z-finder will also help with stabilizing your shots by adding an extra point of contact. We've eliminated one tripod due to this fact. Hope this helps David.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:06 PM   #42
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
The heads are different. The 561bhdv looks like a 701hdv minus the fluid panning while the 561b looks like small 501 with a 577 adapter on the top. Like Raymond mentioned, their locking mechanisms are different. The 561bhdv has a one like a 501/503 type while the 561b has one like the 577 adapter.

Everything from the below the headis the same.
Hey Randy, you said you use a 501 head with your monopod? With the already fluid base of the monopod, are you still able to take advantage of the pan/tilt head?
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM   #43
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 46
Thanks, Raymond. I just needed a little nudge to go over the edge and make the purchase. I appreciate your input.
David Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #44
New Boot
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 21
Tilt lock/ ball joint lock on 561bhdv?

I just purchased the 561bhdv to use with my 7D for use in tight spaces and I wasn't expecting the monopod to tilt so easily (I guess I didn't do enough research!). Is there a way to lock the ball joint so that the monopod doesn't tilt so easily? Or, do you find that you can get steady footage holding the monopod? I did tighten the base using an allen wrench but that's about it so far. Thanks for your input!
Michael

Michael and Tricia Films
__________________
www.michaelandtriciafilms.com
Michael Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #45
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Curtis View Post
I just purchased the 561bhdv to use with my 7D for use in tight spaces and I wasn't expecting the monopod to tilt so easily (I guess I didn't do enough research!). Is there a way to lock the ball joint so that the monopod doesn't tilt so easily? Or, do you find that you can get steady footage holding the monopod? I did tighten the base using an allen wrench but that's about it so far. Thanks for your input!
Michael

Michael and Tricia Films
Hey Michael - I'm the opposite as you. I try to get my base as loose as possible to allow for maximum flexibility of maneuvering, panning, dips, ect. For me at least, stability is achieved by keeping the camera close to the body; one hand on the focus ring and the other on the monopod handle.

Because the monopod comes shipped so stiff, we've loosened the joint and sprayed wd-40 on the ball to get it nice and smooth.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network