Gun Stock Rig 1/10th the Price at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gun Stock Rig 1/10th the Price

Have any of you used or seen the bush hawk stabilizer? I did a search for it but didn't come up with anything. It's only around $150 for the whole setup. It may not be a cool or totally efficient as the zacuto or redrock stuff but for a 1/10th the price, it seems like a no brainer to me. Here is a link to a review video by 31 Films on the in[focus] event blog. I seriously considering picking one up unless you guys see something inherently wrong with this setup.

5D Rig on a Budget IN[FOCUS]

Last edited by J. Chris Moore; March 12th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Too bad that video doesn't show him using the rig in practice. I'm mostly interested in seeing how the camera lines up with the eye and if it works well with a loupe. He held it with the stock near the shoulder, but then the camera would be off to the side, or you'd have to twist it.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yea, that is the same concern that I had with the rig. If you go to the website, it looks like they have a model where the camera mounts closer to the center. I'm thinking about giving them a call and see if they thought you could mount the camera in a way that you could still use a z-finder.

However, I've used my T2i on 2 events without a loupe or follow focus and haven't had a problem with focusing. The screen really is pretty sharp. The only time I wished I had a loupe was when the sun was going down and I had direct sunlight on the lcd screen.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Man, that looks awesome - thanks for posting it. The trigger looks to be a great idea....

And they already seem to have a cord that will work (but it's out of stock).

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Trustee

For a tad less money the SpiderBrace 2 lines up close to perfect with my right eye on a viewfinder loupe. I originally ordered it and the CAVISION viewfinder loupe for the T1i but use those now with the 7D.

home

And a half priced version of the SpiderBrace idea:

Easy Brace
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #6
New Boot

BushHawk - Home ?

and a video in french I think YouTube - Tutoriel de montage de la double poignée BushHawk pour les reflex numérique vidéo / D cinema
Jason Xuereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #7
New Boot

Spiderbrace or Bushhawk?
Emil Gustafsson Ryderup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
Man, that looks awesome - thanks for posting it. The trigger looks to be a great idea....

And they already seem to have a cord that will work (but it's out of stock).

john
The cord is useless for video, only the wireless remote works with video. I have the Bushhawk - mostly for stills with long lenses rather than video.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
For a tad less money the SpiderBrace 2 lines up close to perfect with my right eye on a viewfinder loupe. I originally ordered it and the CAVISION viewfinder loupe for the T1i but use those now with the 7D.
I don't like that the spider brace rest on top of the shoulder with a round tube. That looks uncomfortable to me. Not to mention it looks like it would roll on the shoulder easier than something with a flat surface that rest on top of the shoulder or a gun stock pressed against the body. Also, it doesn't look like the grips are adjustable on the spider brace.
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Xuereb View Post
If you look at the second image from the left, it looks like the camera mount is in the middle and would allow for the use of a loupe. I'm not for sure though.
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore View Post
I don't like that the spider brace rest on top of the shoulder with a round tube. That looks uncomfortable to me. Not to mention it looks like it would roll on the shoulder easier than something with a flat surface that rest on top of the shoulder or a gun stock pressed against the body. Also, it doesn't look like the grips are adjustable on the spider brace.
We use to have one. I does tent to roll on your shoulder and it's very flimsy. Ours broke after a couple of months: and actress didn't see it laying on a bench, she sat on top of it, and it craked open. I know that's not the "use' for that unit (!!), but it's not very sturdy. It's good only if you are on a budget. I wouldnt put anything expensive on it.
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yea, that's what I thought. I don't think that I will be buying one. Plus I think they look goofy. lol
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
The cord is useless for video, only the wireless remote works with video. I have the Bushhawk - mostly for stills with long lenses rather than video.
Hey, thanks for the info - the cord was one of the reasons I was thinking of buying it...

Hmmmm.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Just for your information I received a bushhawk pro kit yesterday and it arrived with parts missing, parts broken, and a trigger that does not work. I am sending it back and doubt I will ever get another one. There is something wrong with a company that allows a kit like that to make it past inspection.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I would like to follow up on my last post concerning Bushhawk. I contacted the company about the defective kit I received and was contacted by Dave Hedrick within a few hours. He was very apolgetic and sent out a new kit to replace the defective one next day air, no charge, and even included a free goodie or two. It arrived today and everything works great. The part I originally received was bad but this company is awsome in standing by their products.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD