Can i Start Video Wirelessly ?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

wow Ive been wondering about remote video control for B and (even) c cams at weddings or functions etc - for $12 that sounds ideal.

My only issue is getting some kind of feedback that the cam is recording - like an LED on the cam so you could tell one way or the other.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cook View Post
wow Ive been wondering about remote video control for B and (even) c cams at weddings or functions etc - for $12 that sounds ideal.

My only issue is getting some kind of feedback that the cam is recording - like an LED on the cam so you could tell one way or the other.
Paul if the remote works , i will order Wireless Remotes

So then i will be able to see if the video is in rec mode, and that the camera still holding the correct shot.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #18
Major Player

so an update,

I have received my new long range remote, (10mtrs) but the only problems is that you have to be able to see the front, to make it work, so i am now thinking Gentles Limited: Remote Camera Control i will see what they offer.

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #19
Regular Crew

For the GentLED you will also need a basic RC tranmitter/receiver but base models can be had for pretty cheap and a battery to power the receiver is small and cheap too. All told you could probably get the setup for under $100 if you shop around.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
I have received my new long range remote, (10mtrs) but the only problems is that you have to be able to see the front, to make it work, so i am now thinking Gentles Limited: Remote Camera Control i will see what they offer.
Did you try setting up a mirror or reflector? My IR remote came with a little reflector that mounts on the camera.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #21
Major Player

no i didn't, but that a good idea, i will give it a go.

thanks.

Old March 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #22
Major Player

You can do it with an iPhone if you leave a laptop tethered to the camera...

iPhone remote for Canon DSLR video | Paul Joy

Quite fiddly, but it's also possible to control recording, focus, and camera setting etc in situations where you can't go near the camera.
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #23
Trustee

Yes, running around with the camera tethered to a laptop and paying extra phone connection fees (especially while roaming abroad!) is just one of the many reasons why I find using my iphone to control the camera is not a viable option for most types of remote-control filming.

It might be possible when you are in a fixed position, say in a hide filming wildlife, as long as you've got a decent phone signal and also tethered to your car running on idle with a full tank of petrol to keep the batteries for your laptop and iphone topped up while waiting for that rare animal to appear... :)
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #24
Major Player

Yes, not an overly practical solution if you're out and about without any power. It uses WiFi though so there shouldn't be a need to run up a phone bill.

I'd probably favour a long USB lead to be honest, but it's handy to know it works.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
no i didn't, but that a good idea, i will give it a go.

thanks.
I use the Universal Camera Remote Control on my cameras (They will also work on the Pentax & Nikon cameras) and find it great for when I'm alone in a remote location and talking narrative into a tripod-mounted camera.

It works especially well on the 5D Mark II and the red indicator will blink on the front once when you begin the recording and then once again when you stop the video.

It will actually work quite well if you point towards the camera either from behind or in front as long as you are indoors or in an environment where the infrared beam is bouncing back off walls. Oudoors you need to be in front the camera and in-line of sight.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with a small mirror, Robert, because this would bring added benefits when I'm shooting outdoors on location and need to start the camera from a position behind the camera instead of in front.

I'm still amazed at just how cheap these little handy devices are. :)
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:37 PM   #26
Tourist

I built a wired remote trigger for the 7D video function. I heat-formed a Plexiglas clip that hugs the camera body and holds an IR emitter in front of the sensor. A cable plugs into a battery box with a push button. It's not elegant, but it works fine. I can put a 20 foot extension cord on it to place the camera in a bush and stand back to wait for hummingbirds.

This sort of thing would lend itself to radio remote too.

I was too cheap to buy the Switronix unit and wasn't keen on the gooseneck emitter they use. This slips on or off quickly and stays put.
Attached Thumbnails
Can i Start Video Wirelessly ??-remote.jpg  
Bob Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle View Post
Not sure if this will be your answer or not. I am delving into doing aerial photography and video via RC airplanes. There is a company that makes a remote shutter switch that plugs into the side of the camera in the remote port. It allows you do use your RC transmitter on the ground to trigger the shutter. I was just on their website today looking for an answer to a question I had with my RebelXT shutter switch and noticed they are now selling a setup for the 5D/7D that will either activate the shutter for an image or start the video recording.

Here is the website. Check out the LiveVIEW option a little ways down the page. You would need a cheap little RC transmitter and receiver and it would hook to one of the channels. Move a control one way and it starts the video. RC stuff will have a lot bigger range than IR will. It works off a little IR Bulb that you tape over your IR Receiver on the camera. A cheap RC transmitter/receiver can be had inexpensively (around $50). I have one of the shutter switches and it works well. Their customer support is great too. They always get back to you right away if you have a question.

gentLED Camera Remote Control: Options

Just thought it would be an option. If you have a question about a radio PM me and I can help. Heck, after you have the radio you may just want to get a small plane so you can have a new hobby to suck your wallet dry. :-)

If you have a Sony camcorder with a LANC jack they even have a setup that allows you to use two channels on a RC remote setup to operate start/stop and zoom.

Hey there, I am just starting to look for inexpensive Aerial video options (RC).
Do you know if there are any good systems for under $1500 with decent quality video?
Not sure if an RC helicopter or an Airplane is the way to go.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #28
Regular Crew

You looking for video or photo only? Do you already have experience in RC planes of any kind more than the toy store variety? If you already have some equipment already you can get going pretty well for basic stuff under the $1500 pricepoint. Flying a T2i or 7D is a different ballgame though. 7D is pretty heavy for base setups but I have a plane that carries a RebelXt or T2i that can be done in that price range easily.

A good place to go hang out and see what is going on a step below the super high end pro level stuff is this forum for aerial photo/video. Aerial Photography - RC Groups

Hang out around there awhile and you will get all kinds of ideas. The current hot item is a tricopter with 3 motors that is easier than a heli to fly but can do all the same things a heli can do for photo/video. I have a tricopter that is pretty cool to fly around and does great. The more modern versions of them are running controls off a Wii Motion controller and Nunchuk internal boards. Some pretty crazy stuff going on with those if you are inclined towards electronics. There are a couple of guys building up a tricopter big enough to lift a DSLR like the Rebel or T2i. My current tricopter will pick up a GoProHD and also a decent sized point and shoot camera. My name around there is frogman1206.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #29
Major Player

There is no 'cheap' way to get good aerial video. It's easy to get bad video cheap. I spent months researching before finding a decent aerial platform. Sure you can tape a gopro to a cheap airplane, but it's going to look like you taped a gopro to a cheap airplane which is FAR from looking pro. I've invested over $13,000 on just one of our helicopters over $20,000 once you add camera and lens... I'm still not completely satisfied with the results and I have one of the top three RC pilots in the world on my payroll. Photoship One is a good resource for aerial platforms, he sells turn key systems for around $12,000, but you have to know what your doing, he won't even sell to you without a phone interview to qualify your piloting ability and experience.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD