DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Can i Start Video Wirelessly ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/474961-can-i-start-video-wirelessly.html)

Robert Bale March 17th, 2010 12:48 AM

Can i Start Video Wirelessly ??

Ok this is what i have,
1 x Canon 7D
What i want is to be able at a wedding set up the Canon 7D at the front of the church and during a ceremony Start and Stop recording Video (this would act as camera B)

I have found this, Wireless Remotes
**BUT it only will fire the Photo Shutter,
**SO,,, is there any other way to re map the Video start/stop function.

OR has any one else know how to do it ??

What i do like on the phottix remote is you can see the image !!

Hope some one can help.

Rob.

Craig Campbell March 17th, 2010 05:09 AM

The Canon RC-1 works up to 5 metres away, works fine for starting and stopping video, I have done so before, but the reach may not be big enough.

This is the canon wireless remote that fits on the bottom of the 7d

There is an iphone app that lets you control the camera via wireless then I think, sure someone where will be able to shed more light on the process.

Craig

Tony Davies-Patrick March 17th, 2010 05:57 AM

There are plenty of cheap good quality wireless remote controls that will work up to 100 metres range.

Jeremy Pevar March 17th, 2010 10:58 AM

How about wired remotes for starting & stopping video recording?

Norman Pogson March 17th, 2010 11:17 AM

The iphone app won't start video, just the shutter for stills

DSLR Camera Remote - onOne Software

Kin Lau March 17th, 2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1500829)
There are plenty of cheap good quality wireless remote controls that will work up to 100 metres range.

That will work on IR? The only remote that works to trigger the 7D video uses IR.

Other than using the WFT-E5A or remote controlling a netbook tethered to the camera, I don't know of any way of triggering a 7D to start video from 30 meters away.

You might be able to setup an IR extender but that's not guaranteed to work either. IR is quite prone to interference.

Robert Bale March 17th, 2010 05:47 PM

So maybe some little smarty could right an app for the iphone,

Other question, is there a way to remap the video rec to the shutter button ?

Philip Hinkle March 17th, 2010 09:21 PM

Not sure if this will be your answer or not. I am delving into doing aerial photography and video via RC airplanes. There is a company that makes a remote shutter switch that plugs into the side of the camera in the remote port. It allows you do use your RC transmitter on the ground to trigger the shutter. I was just on their website today looking for an answer to a question I had with my RebelXT shutter switch and noticed they are now selling a setup for the 5D/7D that will either activate the shutter for an image or start the video recording.

Here is the website. Check out the LiveVIEW option a little ways down the page. You would need a cheap little RC transmitter and receiver and it would hook to one of the channels. Move a control one way and it starts the video. RC stuff will have a lot bigger range than IR will. It works off a little IR Bulb that you tape over your IR Receiver on the camera. A cheap RC transmitter/receiver can be had inexpensively (around $50). I have one of the shutter switches and it works well. Their customer support is great too. They always get back to you right away if you have a question.

gentLED Camera Remote Control: Options

Just thought it would be an option. If you have a question about a radio PM me and I can help. Heck, after you have the radio you may just want to get a small plane so you can have a new hobby to suck your wallet dry. :-)

If you have a Sony camcorder with a LANC jack they even have a setup that allows you to use two channels on a RC remote setup to operate start/stop and zoom.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 18th, 2010 12:11 PM

It is an interesting option to use the Gentled devices. The link Philip gives is the US sellers website. Gentled is a UK company based in Edinburgh, Scotland. The main site is at:

Gentles Limited: Remote Camera Control

The main Europe reseller site is the Kapshop in France. The main website is at:

http://www.kapshop.com/

Kapshop mainly design and build systems for aerial photography.

Brookes in USA also sell the Gentled and other remote devices for cameras:

http://www.brooxes.com/newsite/BBKK/KITS.html

Robert, I use the Phottix Cleon II to fire the shutter and remote mirror-lock when shooting stills with my 5D Mark II.

Regarding the Phottix Hero liveview wireless remote, this works well for distance video viewing with both the 7D & 5D. Superb for wildlife shooting.

For wired remote video I use the Phottix Hector live view remote:

Phottix Hector Live-view remote - Wired remotes

The Hector really helps for low angle filming and framing using the 5D.

Kin Lau March 18th, 2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1501534)
For wired remote video I use the Phottix Hector live view remote:

Phottix Hector Live-view remote - Wired remotes

I know this works for remote viewing, but can you actually trigger video with this setup?

Tony Davies-Patrick March 20th, 2010 05:49 AM

Kin, the Phottix will only trigger stills.

There are many remote video stop/start devices (other than Canons own RC-1 & RC-5) as mentioned, such as the GentLed. The RC-4D infared remote will also work to 10 metres, about double the distance control of video than the original RC-1 & RC-5.

The Switronix remote will also control the stop-start function on both the 5D & 7d (although the Switronix is expensive compared to the RC models and actually doesn't have range like the Gentled controls):

HDSLR Switronix Remote Start/Stop - Canon 5d mark II Pro on Vimeo

http://www.switronix.com/product_det...md=info&id=269

Robert Bale March 21st, 2010 05:16 AM

hi tony, i have sent 2 emails to GentLed, no reply ?? but i like what the have to offer. So i know i need this LiveVIEW setup from gentled and what do i use for a remote. ?

rob

Tony Davies-Patrick March 21st, 2010 06:30 AM

Robert, the Ultra Long Range universal infrared remote control RM-4D is sold by an Australian company in Melborne so you could try to contact them if you only need up to 10m range. They also sell them on Ebay via the name nicole751127 (look up item 360243657552 if you need more info on the RM-4D) or you could contact them direct at Melborne in Oz.

If GentLed don't get back to you, try contacting Kapshop or Brookes and they should be able to help.

Philip Hinkle March 21st, 2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale (Post 1502893)
hi tony, i have sent 2 emails to GentLed, no reply ?? but i like what the have to offer. So i know i need this LiveVIEW setup from gentled and what do i use for a remote. ?

rob

That's funny. When I contacted GentLED they always responded within a day or two. Keep in mind they are in UK so time differences can affect response. Also check your junk mail folder. I have had their email responses appear in my junk mail folder numerous times. I would wonder if they had responded and look there only to find they had responded in a reasonable time.

What email address were you using? This is the address I have had a response from. sales@gentles.ltd.uk

Robert Bale March 22nd, 2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1502909)
Robert, the Ultra Long Range universal infrared remote control RM-4D is sold by an Australian company in Melborne so you could try to contact them if you only need up to 10m range. They also sell them on Ebay via the name nicole751127 (look up item 360243657552 if you need more info on the RM-4D) or you could contact them direct at Melborne in Oz.

If GentLed don't get back to you, try contacting Kapshop or Brookes and they should be able to help.

Hi I have ordered one of these to start, i will post my findings soon.