doing a music vid, lots of Q. .. renting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

doing a music vid, lots of Q. .. renting

Alright, this thread will most likely grow as time goes on. Right now I am in the very basic planning stages. My buddy called me up the other night telling me him and his band are ready for a full fledge music video. I really am determined to shoot this with my Canon 7d.
We are going for a very open look in the video so I will most likely be using my 10-24 Tamron ultra wide angle lens for most of the shots. I am thinking of renting another 7d with primarily a telephoto (would be rented, what would be best I am assuming something like canon 70-200 IS L 2 or would 4 be okay).

So right off the bat I need a place that rents supports. I do not have a number right now on how much of a budget I have to work with but if anyone has a place they suggest for renting I'd appreciate it.

for camera A (the one with the wide angle lens) I am mostly looking for a shoulder support with follow focus and a monitor, if it can mount to a tripod great, if not, that is okay.

For camera B (camera with telephoto) I am thinking just a simple hand held with some sort of magnifier (again cheaper the better) and a follow focus.

Also I am thinking the possibility of a steadicam for a few "walking shots" where I want the frame to be lower than on my shoulder.

There is a possibility that a jib may be used for a few shots, if so I will not use a 7d as a B camera as pulling focus would be too hard. So I am wondering what video camera works best when paired with a 7d.

Again I am looking to rent all this equipment except for the canon 7d and the lens which I already own (10-24).

Any help would be great.
Michael DiFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I would story board this after seeing a rehearsal before you rent anything. Then you kow which lenses go on what supports - ie, the telephoto is best on a tripod or at least use IS. I think a wide angle on the 7D would be fine for a jib - remember it's not all shallow DOF, what I mean is, when you say 'open look' do you mean daylight? Are you shooting this by yourself? If not I would not bother with a tripod for the wide angle - shoulder mount is better for a music video. At any rate you will need 2 or 3 full takes and maybe much more, so make sure the band has lots of enthusiasm for repeating the same song.
So all these need thinking through before you rent.
Is the song fast or slow? - the average clip length in many fast paced rock videos is less than 2 seconds! So you can get away with some compatability issues - for me I would stick with 7D all the way though I have cut my 7D with my EX3 and it was fine. Just need to punch up the more flatter EX3 profile.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon, in a perfect setting yes I would run through the entire thing first and then move from there, but I can't do this, not with enough time at least to rent afterwards, the day before we shoot (will be shooting 2 days) I will do a run through and quick story board so that the day of shoots will move very smoothly.

Sorry, I should have been more clear when I say open look I mean a lot of the shots will be shots of the band AND people, as apposed to mostly close ups. If I go with two cameras there will be my self and another shooter, if I decide to not spend the money on the rental of another camera it will be just me (spend the money on something which will benefit more).

I have talked them through the idea of having to reshoot scenes multiple times and they have no problem with it. I am planning for right now 2 full 8 hour days of shooting (over kill yes).

I would prefer to stick with the 7Ds, I know it I am comfortable with it I see your point with the wide angle still having a large depth of field, I played around earlier and was happy with the results.

Another thing I am wondering, would the cost of like a 7" marshal monitor be worth it or would a loupe (or magnifier) be good enough. I found a redrock micro eyespy deluxe for 125$ a weekend to rent. Would this be a good setup for easy mobility with the 7d
Michael DiFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Major Player

I find the marshall to obstructive for me - I get too clumsy in the heat of the battle! I am mainly a doc film guy. I use this Jag35.com - LCDVF Viewfinder for your DSLR - at $159.

I would shoot some stills with the 7D on day 1 and look at these with the band. This only takes an hour to set up with the band in position and a few friends to stand in for the audience. I storyboard with these for speed. I put them together like an edit on my Macbook right there on the set. This saves loads of time later especially in decision making - lighting, etc.

I would think about a slider or glidetrack or dolly - this looks nice behind the audience in the foreground looking over their shoulders toward the band. Maybe you can build a platform if you have access to the set early - I once rented painters scaffold for only $100/day and this puts you above the crowd.
Rent the Scorcese movie of the rolling stones - shine the light to get some angle ideas - here are frames from my DVD. They shot from low in the crowd quite a bit or up above the crowd - like 12 feet high.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
doing a music vid, lots of Q. .. renting-01.jpg   doing a music vid, lots of Q. .. renting-02.jpg  

Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'll look into a slider, again really depends what I can find for rent.

Anyone suggest a place to rent this sort of equipment?
Michael DiFilippo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD