7D on STEROIDS! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Tourist

Your Canon 7D looks impressive. How much does the whole thing actually weigh? BTW--your web site makes me want to come to New Mexico. Beautiful!
Jennifer Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella View Post
Thank you! It does look good indeed.
I just think that when you pay top dollars for those expensive rigs you are probably shaving off some weight to the entire rig, but is that proportioned to a big price difference? We may all have different answers to that. All it counts to me is that the rig is practical, feels good on your shoulders, SOLID, and easy to take apart. As crews are getting smaller in this still harsh economy, when I purchase something, I always make sure that I don't need 2 or 3 people just to operate or put together gear, whether is a Jib of shoulder rig, or whatever. I can put that camera on and Indislider Pro from the shoulder rig configuration in less than a minute: now, that's easy! (without taking the rails, matte box, and FF off...).

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Studio4 Productions is coming out with a new smaller rig called the UltraCompact that is a bit smaller and a bit lighter for $299. I talked to Tim Ovel at Indifocus and he is familiar with your rig and you as well....I guess you bought it from him?
In any case I bought one and hope to get it next week.
Attached Thumbnails
7D on STEROIDS!-img_1173.bmp   7D on STEROIDS!-img_1169.jpg  

Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Yes, it's coming from Tim.
If you plan to use it with a DSLR system I would suggest to switch the handle to the left side, so it won't get in the way of the CF card slot and battery compartment. I did that with my 7D and it works GREAT. The cool thing about that "C' mount is that it has a lot of holes where you can attach stuff on. For example, it was easy for me to attach the Solid State recorder, wireless receiver, LED lights, and more. I've also attached the handle upside down to be less bulky (and it won't get in the way of the 7" monitor arm.

Good luck building up your "ultimate" rig too!

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Brown View Post
Your Canon 7D looks impressive. How much does the whole thing actually weigh? BTW--your web site makes me want to come to New Mexico. Beautiful!

It is indeed beautiful here in New Mexico! The rig weights about 15 pounds, but it has a LOT of stuff hooked up to it! You can probably shave off a good 5 pounds if you don't use the monitor and the double audio system. If you like New Mexico, make sure to check out the "Director's Pick" on episode 4 of the The Santa Fe TV Show. It comes after Chef Matt Yohalem (direct link: e4).

Enjoy!

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Studio4 Productions is coming out with a new smaller rig called the UltraCompact that is a bit smaller and a bit lighter for $299. I talked to Tim Ovel at Indifocus and he is familiar with your rig and you as well....I guess you bought it from him?
In any case I bought one and hope to get it next week.
Which model is this with the handle? I don't see it on their site at all.
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM   #21
Major Player

It is a new model and I don't believe they have it on their web site yet. I just happened to call them and they mentioned they had something new.
Call Tim Ovel at (319) 504-3985. He is hard the catch however.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:41 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
(...)As crews are getting smaller in this still harsh economy, when I purchase something, I always make sure that I don't need 2 or 3 people just to operate (...)
Extremely true for the times!

(And on another note, sad to say, i can't view your sites videos anymore here in China... seems everyday that passes another site gets blocked...or in this case, partially blocked)
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM   #23
Major Player

Sorry to hear that Mike. How come that sites get "partially" blocked?

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM   #24
Major Player

cen sorship... lots of sites with video have the just the video blocked.

sad but true:( getting really tired of it... A few months ago after finishing a short for the DVinfo's DV Challenge i found vimeo blocked, couldn't upload or view the site...very frustrating.

i can't even upload here...but i know Dan Chung does and he's sometimes in bei jing when he does - maybe he uses a vpn to do so?

sucks, i enjoyed your first two episodes!

Do you host the video on your site or is it streamed via vimeo or youtube?

PS as you can see even i self cen sor! DVInfo has been blocked on occasion as well.

i use a web proxy but anything java related doesn't work!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hey Guys, I called Tim up and just have a few updates.

He said he's currently working with his web guy to have the new products up in the coming week or so. I went ahead and ordered the ultra compact and some indi snap lens gears! They look amazingly convenient. Thanks Carlo for giving us the info on this!
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:22 PM   #26
Major Player

Mike,
That's really too bad - very sorry to hear that - it's 2010, I thought we were all past that...
Episode 3 and 4 are even better: more music! We are now working on E5, and I feel it may be the best: new content, some new exciting people!
For now our video is hosted on VIMEO (not the site, just the video). We are coming out shortly with a DVD and Blu-Ray with the first 4 episodes and "bloopers". Check out the home page from time to time.

Glad you enjoy our work, very much appreciated. Any comments or suggestions?
Drop me a line.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

P.S.
Do you live in China or are you there just for work?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #27
Major Player

Hi Carlo,

You mention switching back and forward from 7D monitor to the liliput, can you do this while recording as I know when I pull/insert the cable on the side it'll stop recording.

Thanks
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #28
Major Player

Randy,

That's a good guestion. I am in the middle of something now, but as soon I'm free tonight I will check and get back to you ASAP.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
Hi Carlo,

You mention switching back and forward from 7D monitor to the liliput, can you do this while recording as I know when I pull/insert the cable on the side it'll stop recording.

Thanks
Randy,

As soon as you change input on the lilliput, recording stops indeed. I haven't felt that as a problem, because when I am ready to roll, usually I do not look at the camera display anymore...all settings have been done, it's filming time, and the lilliput becomes the framing and focus reference. If I have to change settings, usually I am not rolling, so it is not a problem.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Mike,
That's really too bad - very sorry to hear that - it's 2010, I thought we were all past that...
Episode 3 and 4 are even better: more music! We are now working on E5, and I feel it may be the best: new content, some new exciting people!
For now our video is hosted on VIMEO (not the site, just the video). We are coming out shortly with a DVD and Blu-Ray with the first 4 episodes and "bloopers". Check out the home page from time to time.

Glad you enjoy our work, very much appreciated. Any comments or suggestions?
Drop me a line.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

P.S.
Do you live in China or are you there just for work?

hehe, i guess 2010 means different things to different gov. Its inconvenient yes, but in the end, i feel safe and happy (careful with food, water and chemicals though even in the most modern city, Shanghai) so i guess there is always a price to pay.

That your video is hosted on vimeo makes perfect sense as vimeo is blocked. So in reality your site is not blocked but your video is hosted on a blocked site. I've been putting off paying for a VPN, that will allow me to bypass the cen sorship, but getting fed up so this week i made my short list of vpns i 'd like to purchase so maybe next week i'll get to see those videos of yours.

As for your ps question: in China, as a foreigner, you must have a job to keep a temporary residence visa, no such thing as permanent residency here save for a select few who have helped the country, such as long term charity workers.

I've been living here for more than 4 years and probably be here for many more. The opportunities are absolutely endless.

TV shows here are horrendous production wise, TVCs are impeccable, great production value, and the movie industry quite mature with great production value.

And Chinese studios purchased a lot old technicolor products when hollywood moved away from it in the eaerly 70s so the color palettes of the films are ...unique in old school ways. i.e. technicolor film processing with DI post. Some of the prints are the most pristine and clear i've ever seen. And the underground sans permit indie film community is growing at very fast rate:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD