wide angle converters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 19th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Inner Circle

wide angle converters

Is it possible to use these with the 7d? I know, better to get the Tokina, but for video use, where sharpness is not paramount, a screw on adapter would be efficient and cheaper. Any stories?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

they are VERY soft
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

You can get teleconverters that go between the lens and the body for increasing effective focal length, but as far as I know, there's no such thing as a decent wide-angle adapter in the EF still photo lens world... image softness and vignetting being the culprits. Best solution is to get a dedicated wide-angle lens.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

So I realized I have an inexpensive WAD made by Vitacom. it's the DSLR HD-Pro Digital .5x wide angle lens. I use it on a JVC HD100.

Here it is on and off a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 lens in ambient light. No flash.
Attached Thumbnails
wide angle converters-img_5120.jpg   wide angle converters-img_5121.jpg  

Old March 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It really is ironic, the wide angle adapter is made for fixed lens cameras so they can get increased range to mimic the more expensive SLR. The whole idea of a SLR is to interchange lenses.

Independent lens manufacturers exist to give cheaper alternative lenses for SLR cameras.
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Pogson View Post
It really is ironic, the wide angle adapter is made for fixed lens cameras so they can get increased range to mimic the more expensive SLR. The whole idea of a SLR is to interchange lenses.

Independent lens manufacturers exist to give cheaper alternative lenses for SLR cameras.
I'm not feeling the irony. What if you don't want to spend $600 for a WA lens? An adapter makes a lot of sense and saves a lot of cents for that person.
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Trustee

A cheap secondhand wide-angle SLR/DSLR lens would be far wiser to buy than any adapter in my opininon...and the image quality in most cases would be far better.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Major Player

the problem is there doesnt seem to be any cheap wide angle old manual lenses (from what i could find at least) once you take into account the crop factor.. When I looked into it all i could find was a Nikon 13mm that goes for about 15,000$ second hand!

I'm interested in how you get on Brian as I was also curious about the adapter solution
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Trustee

It all depends on how wide you want go. A full frame 15mm or 17mm or 18mm is still quite wide in 1.6 crop.
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Major Player

thats true.. in my case i have the 17-55 though so i was looking for something a bit more extreme
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #11
Trustee

The 15mm full frame Sigma is a decent lens. It is true that you have less options in full frame old MF lenses when you go wider than 15mm, and extreme wide beyond that tend to have curved or bowed images. That is just one of the reasons why I prefer 5D and D3s over the 7D.
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
It all depends on how wide you want go. A full frame 15mm or 17mm or 18mm is still quite wide in 1.6 crop.
This 15mm?
476101 Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG AutoFocus Diagonal Fish-Eye Lens for Canon EOS Cameras

We're back to $600 glass again. I'm just not seeing any economically priced W/A primes out there. And again, we're talking video out here, not still photography.
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, it's still a 15mm times the 1.6x crop.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
This 15mm?
476101 Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG AutoFocus Diagonal Fish-Eye Lens for Canon EOS Cameras

We're back to $600 glass again. I'm just not seeing any economically priced W/A primes out there. And again, we're talking video out here, not still photography.
There are plenty of used 15mm lenses on Ebay every week going for well under $600. Many sell for $200-$400 depending on condition, and you'll also not need the latest AF version so could do with the older MF versions which go for even cheaper. Also look at the older MF lenses from other brands and buy a cheap Canon bayonet adapter.

Yes, you are still not ultra-wide...but the Tokina and Sigma ultra-wide options need not be bought for $600.

For example you can simply get the TOKINA AT-X 124 PRO DX 12-24mm F/4 zoom which now sells for very low prices if you look around - $200-400 depending on condition.

Just how much do you actually want to spend? If it is $50-150 and don't mind soft edges and degraded images, then I suppose an ad-on wide adapter might be OK.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Contributor

Lots of people are using the Tokina 12-16.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD