Single-Frame capture with the T2i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Single-Frame capture with the T2i?

Here's a total ignorant newbie question, but I have to ask, while waiting for my Rebel to arrive:

I do a lot of animation, but I haven't done stop-motion in a while. Last time I did, I used a digital SLR (this was years ago) by capturing to the card, frame by frame, and emptying it out to a laptop every time it filled up. Not the best workflow. I assume that, by now, one should be able to hook up a DSLR to a mac, have the image flow right into the laptop at whatever resolution / frame size the camera is set to, and use some kind of software to capture away, frame by frame, bypassing the recording media.

Or am I wrong? And if not, what's the best / easiest / cheapest way to do so with the T2i? Can you used the supplied USB cable?

thanks!
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2
New Boot

There isnt a usb cable. You need to take out the SD card to get your data to computer.

I think you also need a remote to do time photo captured set to an interval.
Jason Xuereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:28 AM   #3
New Boot

Not sure if the T2i applies, but I've done plenty of stop-motion work with DSLR's using the program- iStopMotion 2

We used a Canon 20D back in the day, and were able to have the image on the computer screen for each shot, as well as a "ghost" image of the previous shot superimposed on top. All you needed to do was press the spacebar and it captured the image and placed it into a timeline sequence.

Real simple and elegant workflow.
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Major Player

David,

There is a USB cable icluded, Canon calls it a data cable. You can do what you want with the eclosed EOS software that comes with the camera. You record photos directly to your computer with the included cable and software and there is also a interval timer in the software and the only limit is the amount of free space on your computer. You can also control the camera functions from your computer and see the changes to your images in real time. (well almost real time)

You cannot record video to your computer's hard drive but all the monitoring and control functions are available in the video mode. It's a great piece of software!

Last edited by David Chilson; March 21st, 2010 at 07:16 AM.
David Chilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Major Player

For those who don't yet own the camera, here are the instructions for the EOS software, check out the remote shooting section. Maybe Chris could make it a sticky.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EOS Utilitty instructions.pdf (9.13 MB, 1182 views)
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow, thanks guys, this only makes the deal even sweeter!
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD