What are you using to record audio? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 24th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #16
Trustee

I use the zoom H4n plus Senny MKE400. The Senny is sensitive and pretty noisy due to the AGC. However I use it for events so I'll have to test out the manual gain settings. Oh yes, with the manual gain for 5D I will try to go the dual recording plus input from the zoom with the cable below.

DSLR, PINKNOISE AUDIO CABLE, CANON 5d mk11, CANON AUDIO CABLE, -25DB AUDIO CABLE

Zoom H4n works very well but the lack of indepedant levels setting is a setback. Esp when I have one channel from a line feed and the other from the wireless Senny G2. the other thing is the battery life is horrendous in my opinion. It takes only 2-3hrs to juice out the unit. We have to change fresh batteries in the middle of wedding shoots. I'm considering the TASCAM or Marantz 620 too.

Other than that I get pretty good audio with the H4n. It has phantom pwr and rocks with the AKG3000B + Portabooth combo.

Check out transom.com for their great reviews.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #17
Trustee

brian,
How easy is it to adjust ands use the independent level controls while rolling?
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
brian,
How easy is it to adjust ands use the independent level controls while rolling?
Bruce Yarock
Easy. It's two separate mechanical dials and they're recessed just enough and have the right amount of resistance so they won't get accidentally moved out of adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you using to record audio?-tascam.jpg  

Last edited by Brian Luce; March 24th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Trustee

I called B+H, got a return authorization for the Zoom. The Tascam 100 will be here Friday.
Thanks, Brian.
Bruce Yarock
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm using the old Beachtec DXA-5D to record directly on the 7D. I love it and I think it sounds fantastic, I don't have to deal with dual sound and noise is minimal. It's worry free and I can check both audio and video at the same time playing it back. I wouldn't switch to dual sound for the world.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #21
Major Player

I use a sound recordist. Seems to work well, plus he can carry some kit:)
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #22
Trustee

That seems like the best option, Liam... Lol!
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi,
You can adjust the level control for each channel if you switch to "4 channels recording" rather then be in stereo mode.
What I do is, mute completely the "n4h on board mics (unfortunately you can not monitor individual channels and those mics are not needed for my recordings).
To do this, just press the "mic" button then be quick to press the "rec level" on the right hand side all the way down to zero.
Now, when two wireless systems (in my case) are XLR connected, press button 1 then be quick to adjust the same "rec level" or button 2 for your desired recording levels.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, like other wrote-the h4n is a battery eater. You must use lithium batteries or other pro version NiCad's otherwise you will be highly disappointed from its short recording times. (even with those batteries, the advertised recording times are far from reality).

Johnnie
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
I called B+H, got a return authorization for the Zoom. The Tascam 100 will be here Friday.
Thanks, Brian.
Bruce Yarock
You'll also appreciate the double system battery. It has a rechargeable that your usb charges and AA's.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I use a Sony D50 with a variety of mics including the built-ins. My wireless is a Sennheiser.
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Tran View Post
I'm looking to find a audio system to use with 7D. Not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

Looking for something under the $1000 range.
Nicholas,
I use the Marantz 661 and I think it is a GREAT solution. It costs more than the ZOOM, but it's a really little price to pay for quality audio reocording that you will use for the long term (especially thinking about how much $$ we all spend on these new DSLR systems, $300 more is not that much!). My background is audio, I use to do music productions and run a recording studio full time (now we still have the studio, but we use it for our video productions), and Marantz is a great brand to "have around". Believe me, you won't regret the investment.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #27
Trustee

I received my Tascam and will be using it on a shoot tomorrow. From the few quick tests I did, the sound quality is pretty good.

The -25 db cable that Sean mentions- Anyone know if it's available in the USA?
Bruce Yarock
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:30 AM   #28
Trustee

Brian,
Have you been able to get the on board speaker to work on the Tascam DR-100? I've tied everything with no luck. There doesn't seem to be a menu setting to switch between headphones and speaker, so that leaves only the switch on the back. Am I missing something?
Bruce Yarock
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:37 AM   #29
Trustee

Speakers- Just figured it out. You have to go to the input setting and turn the monitor off. Bingo!
Bruce Yarock
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:35 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Behiri View Post
Hi,

...What I do is, mute completely the "n4h on board mics (unfortunately you can not monitor individual channels and those mics are not needed for my recordings).
To do this, just press the "mic" button then be quick to press the "rec level" on the right hand side all the way down to zero.
Now, when two wireless systems (in my case) are XLR connected, press button 1 then be quick to adjust the same "rec level" or button 2 for your desired recording levels...

Johnnie
Thanks a million for that little snippet, Johnnie! I've been plagued with the on-board mics still picking up slight wind noise when they are supposed to be turned off in 4-channel mode. By turning the onboard mic levels completely down when in MIC mode first, then switching back to 4-channel and XLR external mics, it seems to work well and avoids any annoying wind noise being picked up by the onboard mics while using external mics or radio mics.
It is a bit of a bind having to do all that each time I want to switch between onboard and XLR, but at least I now know what best to do when I'm filming in high winds with exernal mics.
I've also now added permanant foam & home-made double fur layer dead-cat to the Zoom's onboard mics for outdoor recording.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD