Steadcam Merlin + T2i = ? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM   #46
Inner Circle

You are right, the triaining DVD is indeed very helpful. I have to watch it a few times to get better understanding. However, they never mention about when to mount wait in the front joint.
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Re: Steadcam Merlin + T2i = ?

sorry to revived this thread...

but i was wondering....do you balance you cam on the merlin with some lights on top?

I do..because during the day i mostly don't need it..only sometimes..but as the weddings day goes on...it gets dark and I want to use it for the reception..first dance and stuff...

so, is everyone doing it like this?

checking...

thanks
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #48
Major Player

For those of you who DIY. This guy seems to have made a good one.
DIY steadicam camera stabilizer
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #49
Major Player

Osmany, I recommend getting your Merlin set up with the light on top. You need a setup that will work in most of the situations you will encounter. For me it takes too long to redo a special setup for each occasion. I think most situations benefit from a light, you never know when you will need one. I remember taping kids outside in the daylight and all of a sudden I found myself following them inside of a tent, where I needed a light! With a light on top, it's top heavy of course, I have the spars spread out the max distance, one finish weight on the front and the rest of the weights in the basic Merlin kit on the bottom. I think I use the M hole on the dovetail plate. I have a battery grip installed too, and the little Sennheiser shotgun mic. I have no sway after fine tuning the threaded Z fitting.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #50
Major Player

Re: totally different

That was excellent. How did you do the scooter scene, After Effects? It looks totally real.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Hi folks... I really can't balance my T2i with 15mm 2.8 lens, using my merlin, I could not find it on cookbook. Does anyone have the recipe for it ?

Thanks a lot for your attention.
Marcelo Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #52
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I have to disagree - the training DVD was very helpful in getting me flying my Merlin quickly and successfully (in my case with a 7D) - after all, it's narrated by the guru himself. I also seem to remember some parts of it (if not all) are on the web somewhere - maybe the Tiffen site?

I think most of the people who have problems flying Merlins rush the learning stages and/or don't take time to understand the (albeit) very basic concepts (well to me they are, but I was scientist/engineer in a former career) of how this complex rig works and how to correctly adjust it for coarse and fine balance. Once you've got that in your head it's VERY easy to set-up. The other thing, that is much harder to learn, and can only be gained after lots of practice, is just how light and subtle you need to be with all movements/corrections when flying a Merlin Steadicam once it is fully balanced. I imagine this will be even more so with a very light T2i (compared to my heavier 7D).

I'm still learning (....you always will be with a Steadicam) but the DVD certainly got me flying - and now I'm hooked!
I couldn't agree more. And as for the immediately previous post, I don't have a recipe but I've decided recipes are relatively worthless. The real value is spending DAYS with the instruction manual and DVD. I'm a surgeon, and I can tell you this reminds me of learning new surgical techniques. People who brag about learning the Merlin in a few minutes are either lucky or lying.

I learned the book and DVD well enough to be able to recall it instantly as I was using the device. (A remnant of my surgery training.)

Among the other things it discusses is how to balance a camera without a recipe. In other words, HOW TO BALANCE A CAMERA! I think the recipes might help Tiffen sell a few units, but I'd wish they'd get rid of the recipe book and make a short field guide for rebalancing.
Brute Wolf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD