DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   CODEC questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/475751-codec-questions.html)

Tony Reidsma March 28th, 2010 10:35 AM

CODEC questions

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sure this has been discussed but I have a different issue.

I have:
MBPro - 3.06 GHZ with dedicated video processor - 8 gig ram and 7200 HD
7D
Adobe Premier

Compressor isn't working for me, that is, it won't open but this is another topic all together.

I have MPG stream clip but I don't seem to have all the codec's I read about.... see attached.

PROBLEM > The editing of the footage from the 7D is choppy in edit.

What do I do?

Thx > Tony

Jon Braeley March 28th, 2010 11:24 AM

As you have found out, you should not edit the native H.264 7D files.

But you do not need Compressor or Streamclip - use the new plug-in for FCP which converts the files to ProRes while transferring. I presume you are using FCP. I'm not sure how you manage without Compressor though ... I would re-install.

Go here - Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR

Tony Reidsma March 28th, 2010 01:00 PM

Thanks. I am using Premiere not FCPro...

I went to that link but not sure what I'm looking for.

Jon Braeley March 28th, 2010 03:11 PM

When you mentioned compressor, I presumed you also used Final Cut. For the 7D workflow I think Final Cut is the way to go, especially if you are running a Mac. Without getting into the PC-Mac debate, Final Cut Studio is perfect for the new breed of DSLR's - mainly due to the ProRes codec.

David Chapman March 28th, 2010 04:47 PM

Hey Tony,

If you don't have Final Cut Studio installed, but only a part of it (Compressor), that might be a reason why Compressor won't open. ProRez only started coming with FCS2 and 3, so if you don't have it, you won't have the codecs.

Even though I use FCP, Premiere seems to have a lot of cool things about it. You can right-click the clip in the bin and conform to a different play rate making 60p conversion to 23.976 super easy. We FCP users have to use Cinema Tools to do that.

You will have to transcode to another format for Premier. You might try DVCProHD. It's still 4:2:2 and should work for you very well.

Tony Reidsma March 28th, 2010 07:54 PM

Thanks!

I'm understanding things much better now.

I tried 4:2:2 and it's uncompressed, but a 10 second 1080p file is 1 gig.

I'll delete compressor.

What settings do you all use for converting the raw MOV files for editing?

Tony Reidsma March 28th, 2010 08:04 PM

Also, how do I export to Apple Prores when I don't have FCPro?

Tony Reidsma March 28th, 2010 08:30 PM

Looks like CS5 will take care of this issue. I'm getting it.

Martin Smith April 21st, 2010 09:55 AM

Cineform Neoscene..... Cant say enough good words about it... Neoscene....

Jon Fairhurst April 21st, 2010 12:07 PM

I was at NAB and got a one on one tour through CS5. While they were able to play a number of layers of h.264, they were scaled down, and the final output was not at the highest quality and resolution. You still need a fast drive or array of drives. And they were using a VERY expensive video card.

It's still VERY impressive, but it's not as amazing as we wish it were.

Hopefully, Cineform will port its decoder to CUDA code. (An encoder port would be nice too, but this isn't as important for speeding up the actual editing process.)

Having CS5, Windows 7 64-bit, a fast PC with tons or RAM, a top end CUDA card, a RAID and Cineform decoding on the graphics card would be sweet. You'd be able to do some amazing things with that system. And rendering at the end would be a snap!

Mike Peterson April 21st, 2010 10:06 PM

Neoscene is great but it costs. Avid DNxHD ...it's free and a great codec

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=263545