bitrates 550d vs HF-S20/21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

bitrates 550d vs HF-S20/21

Does the 48 Mbps in the 550d provide (potentially) higher quality image as the 24 Mbps of the Canon HF-S20/21?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You might find this an interesting read:
DVXuser.com - Articles
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for sharing the info. To me these discussions are really beyond my interest as an amateur filmer. It is searching for weaknesses in the incredible technique that is being given to us in this time. How many real life viewers of a DVD or even a cinema movie will be bothered by these issues? Even if a trained eye catches the artifacts, it is more then compensated by the overall image quality.
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

yes, but you asked if a 550d would provide a higher quality image as a Canon HF-S20/21. Technically, no according to that article but the camera seems to have some tricks up it's sleeve to overcome most of those problems. I have also seen frame comparisons which highlighted the weak area's of the dslr's compared to "real"' videocamera's (even small hd handycam's) but if you place a dslr in the hands of a experienced videographer he/she can make dslr footage shine. But then again, a experienced videographer can make any footage coming from any camera shine. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. :)
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
experienced videographer can make any footage coming from any camera shine. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. :)
100% agree, but if we 're talking the same skills applied to the footage from T2i and HF S2xx
there is no second though, T2i is a winner, (imager) size does matter :)
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Now, why do you think that T2i is the winner?
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It might help if you clarified what exactly you need to know, your initial question was if the higher bitrate of the dslr would result in a higher quality image. I'm not a tech guy either but if you read the article I linked to you get a clear answer to your question if you just look at the resolution chart.
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I did look at the article, but it says that 550d has issues as compared to real camcorders, but in spite of this Buba thinks the T2i is a winner over the HF SXX. Why?
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Ok, but then you are asking for subjective opinions, not actual facts. To me dslr footage from what I see on the internet appears sharper and more vibrant and with less dof (and more light sensitive) then what a Canon HF-S20/21 can produce, but that's something you can judge yourself as well just looking at random vimeo or exposure videos that are done with both camera's. Eventually it all comes down to user preference, a dslr does serve it's purpose in certain area's but I would not sell my canon xh-a1 just to get it. As an addition to my xh-a1 yes, but for run and gun I gladly rely on my "real" videocamera and use a dslr for the fancy creative stuff.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob deJong View Post
Does the 48 Mbps in the 550d provide (potentially) higher quality image as the 24 Mbps of the Canon HF-S20/21?
No, because the CODEC that the 550D utilizes has very poor compression compared to the AVCHD compression used by the HF-S20/21 cameras. I suspect this is largely due to the amount of processing power required to properly compress the image stream from a DSLR camera.

To see this difference first hand, try loading a 550D video clip into a video editor that can natively handle the AVCHD CODEC ( Edius Neo 2.5, Vegas Pro 9, Premiere CS 4.2 ), and try saving this clip in AVCHD format using a range of bitrates. In the few tests I've done, the file size of the 550D / 7D / 5DMKII clips shrank by a factor of 3 - 4 with no real change to the image quality.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD