DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   T2i or 7D SOLELY for video purposes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/475855-t2i-7d-solely-video-purposes.html)

Daniel D. Kim March 29th, 2010 09:00 PM

T2i or 7D SOLELY for video purposes

Hey,
I come from a Nikon still photography background and I've been doing a lot of research on these cameras. I purchased a 7D solely for video as I have the XHA1 but it's too bulky and attention hog for casual occasions.

I purchased thinking I will give the Nikon's D200 to my dad and use the 7D for both stills and video.

FOr some reason, I do not want to part with my Nikon as I love to do time-lapse and still-motion stuff with the built-in intervalometer. (I know I can get a cheap intervalometer or a DIY but that's another thing to carry around...)

Also, I have all the variety of lenses you need for a Nikon (adapter will mean no auto focus on the EOS body).

So if you were in my shoes and just looking more for a video, would you go for the T2i and get a nice decent lens with the same money as you would be getting the 7D (as lens lasts forever... unless you break'em but the bodies always evolve, not that I change the body every year >=] ) and the adapter AND probably a Canon lens as I would hate to do everything manual every time I pick up the 7D? lol

Thanks, a bunch!

Dan Carter March 29th, 2010 09:25 PM

Daniel,

I've been a Nikon shooter since the D70, but have replaced my D300, D5000 and lenses with a Canon 7D and Canon lenses. With an $80 intervalometer and the 7D I've no need for the Nikons. With the exception of the lack of weatherproofing it appears the T2i is a great choice, but why not get some additional Canon lenses and use the 7D.

Good luck with your choice.

Brandon Paschal March 29th, 2010 09:46 PM

The T2i

Daniel,

I spent a significant amount of time scanning the 7D forum learning a great deal about DSLRs. I too have a couple of XH-A1s and completely understand the "attention hog" deal. Although I haven't had a 7D, I went with a T2i to get my feet wet with DSLR video - and I have NOT been disappointed. I figured I'd focus my $ on lenses and if need be, upgrade the body. Hopefully this isn't heresy to state such on the forum. Everyone has been so helpful to date. Just my $0.02, and good luck. For me ... the T2i has worked well!

Chuck Spaulding March 30th, 2010 12:42 AM

Hi Daniel,

Without getting into a T2i versus 7D debate, the video quality seems to be comparable, I have seen the T2i footage personally but haven't used one. Apparently the 7D has more controls, if you need them, great, if you don't then the T2i would work fine.

I have the 7D and will probably get a T2i to go along with it and I primarily shoot video. The reason I'm chiming in here is because if your planning on using this camera for video only then your going to want to shoot in manual mode anyway, autofocus does not work well for video.

So if you have some good Nikon lenses you are that much ahead using them with an adapter for the 7D. I guess the same would be true for the T2i.

John Wiley March 30th, 2010 12:45 AM

I agree... if I had to choose between 550d and 7d i'd go the 550d for sure. You can use the money you save to get a z-finder.

However, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? If you already have the 7d then why not just keep than? You could probably get a few $ back by selling the 7d and buying the 550d but the 7d will still have an awesome resale value in a few years whereas the 550d will drop alot - thus cancelling out any money you save right now.

You won't want to use auto-focus when shooting video on a DSLR so it really makes it irrelevant that your nikon glass can't be used with auto focus. As long as the lenses have aperture rings on them then they will be fine to adapt to your Canon (I actually prefer this... on my GH1 with manual Pentax lenses, I have a ring on the lens to control aperture and the wheel controls shutter speed so I can access either one easily and immediately). So before you spend too much money on EOS lenses, I would try out what you've got with an adaptor first. If you don't like it, you've only blown $30 on the adaptor, but it could save you from spending thousands of $$$ on Canon glass for the benifit of autofocus, only to use manual focus anyway. For stills, native lenses will be alot easier to use, but isn't that the whole reason you're keeping the D200 and your Nikon glass?

Daniel D. Kim March 30th, 2010 08:19 AM

Thanks y'all for your well worth more than .02 cents! :)

I guess I have to clarify, I got the 7D this weekend with the adapter (using it with my Nikkor 35mm 1.4) and I can still return the camera if I decide to. That's why I'm even thinking of this question, haha.

I doubt the 7D will have THAT much of a resale value, as I've noticed with many digital cameras that came with priced under $2000. D200 when it first came out was going for around 1800. Now you can probably get a decent lens, and the body for around 950 (eg. Nikon D200 Fantastic Condition!! (Battery Grip Also Available!)) ?. I guess that's not the point here, though, as I am not planning on selling it any time soon. (Had the D200 for almost 5 years now... and still love it.)

So, yes. I would be getting the camera to MAINLY shoot video but OCCASIONALLY take stills as I wouldn't want to bring two cameras with me everywhere I go for both stills and videos, you know? :)

Yes, I would love to keep both but I can't justify keeping both the D200 and the 7D it has to be either or. If I decide to keep the D200, I would lean more towards getting the T2i but if I decide to get the 7D, I'll have to part with ALL my accessories... :(

Ultimately I'll have to make a decision but the consensus I see is that if I'm going straight for a video, you guys would recommend the T2i/550D....?

Thanks guys. Sorry for rambling on :|

Tony Reidsma March 30th, 2010 09:08 AM

I am working on a project for a client who basically bought me 3 - 7D's, but I was shopping and debating the same question, T2i or 7D.

I went with the 7D's because of all the control and ease of getting to those controls.

I should also ad that my focus (no pun intended) is shooting video. Bottom line, video is the prize with this for me. You not only have lots of controls, with the 7D those controls are ready at hand, without going through a menu driven cycle to get to them.

The stock lens is nice, but I also got some nifty-fifties, a Sigma 300 and 200 - 2.8. The 7D is a work of art, IMO.

Bill Pryor March 30th, 2010 09:52 AM

I have to agree with the 7D. It's a great value for the money. But if money is tight, you could get the T2i with the option of upgrading later on if things go well with it. All the lenses, viewer, recorder, rods support system, etc., ie., anything you buy for it (and you will have to buy a lot for it if you are going to do video) will be useable on the 7D as well if you upgrade. It would be better to have a T2i with good lenses, a good viewer, and all the other goodies, than a near-naked 7D.

Daniel D. Kim March 30th, 2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Reidsma (Post 1507518)
I went with the 7D's because of all the control and ease of getting to those controls.

Agreed. I totally love the controls over the T2i (I played a bit at B&H)

[quote = Bill Pryor]
But if money is tight, you could get the T2i with the option of upgrading later on if things go well with it. All the lenses, viewer, recorder, rods support system, etc.
[/quote]

Money as of now, it's OK to get the 7D as I'm not going broke or anything but the main reason why I can't justify keeping both the D200 and the 7D is that IF I were to keep the 7D... I would HAVE to spend more money to invest in the new cam to bring up to its full potential! I'd hate to see the 7D go to waste by JUST using it as a B-roll Video cam as it wasn't made for that.

I do love the 7D's build and the easy access of controls compared to the T2i.

(For some reason, this reminds me of the question asking HV20/30/40 vs the XHA1. If the quality is about equal (IQ, wise) does the ease of usage with the XHA1 justify it's cost compared to the HV series.. lol)

I guess 7D was made to shines as a still camera more than the video options...

I thought having video in a dslr would solve all my problems but nope... hahaha

Euisung Lee March 30th, 2010 04:11 PM

I have T2i and I totally dig it. It fits my budget and all other situation. However, if I could consider 7D I would do it for the following reasons.

Two brains - 7D comes with dual DIGIC processors and it gives you some considerable advantage. Not only you get faster still shooting (8fps vs 3.8fps I believe?), you can also view full HD via HDMI while recording video, hence allowing you to use external monitor for focusing. I think for more serious video production this could be the it factor for going with 7D.

Weatherproof - as we all know. I wouldn't want to shoot outside in the pouring rain with T2i.

LCD and buttons, dials - Easier way to access control and information, but these are more like bonus.

Lance Watts March 31st, 2010 12:05 AM

I was about to buy a second 7D when suddenly, the T2i was announced. However, now that I have thoroughly researched Canon's latest vDSLR, I've decided to stick with the 7D. Even as a "B" cam, the T2i doesn't cut it for me. With limited ISO settings, lack of weatherproofing, no LCD display, cheap build quality, and increasing reports of overheating during long shoots, the T2i leaves much to be desired. Don't get me wrong, for the price, it's a fantastic device, but the 7D is a far more solid and easy to use camera.

Daniel D. Kim March 31st, 2010 04:58 PM

Is the overheating, that bad on the T2i?

Ethan Lane March 31st, 2010 07:18 PM

from: First short with Canon Rebel T2i/ 550D and Kessler Crane Pocket Dolly Traveller | Philip Bloom
Quote:

I had a few overheat warning issues after about 2 hours solid shooting in the sun and a couple of times the buffer ran out for the card and it stopped recording. First time I have seen this.

Image wise I have no idea if it’s better or worse than the 7D. I would literally have to shoot side by side and compare. Certainly from what I got I am very happy with the image out of the camera. I missed the extra dial, the dial in white balance, the mid ISOs and the top LCD panel. I really hate pressing a button and rotating a dial to get my iris to what I want it at. But these are niggly issues. Nothing major.

Sam Kanter April 1st, 2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel D. Kim (Post 1508204)
Is the overheating, that bad on the T2i?

I shot a concert on the T2i that was two hours (with stopping) - filled two 16GB cards - no overheating.

Maybe problems outside in the hot sun? 7D probably has same issues...

Corey Benoit April 1st, 2010 07:36 PM

there isnt any time lapse interval control on the 7d?